Incompetent Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS), Thailand?

hunghung

This is a story about a Thai government agency and the story is getting hilarious. I will provide updates as events develop.

In April, 2008, I filed an online complaint against the Pattaya travel agent Maneerat Transport & Travel (forum has the story on http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/526763/tp/1/) to MOTS via the website touristassistancecenter.go.th (this site is no longer functional). A Ministry staff acknowledged my complaint by email. However, despite repeated online inquiry about the progress of the complaint, I received no response from the Ministry.

I was in Bangkok in May 2009 and I went to MOTS National Stadium address. The office responsible for tourist complaints didn't find the record of my complaint and asked me to file a written complaint right there. I did accordingly and a lawyer named Mr. X said I would hear from him in 2-3 weeks. However, I heard nothing for almost a year even after sending several letters inquiring the progress of the case.

I was in Bangkok in March 2010 and I visited that office on March 8. Mr. X, the lawyer who received my complaint, was on holidays. I talked to a lady lawyer there (strangely, she wouldn't give her name when I asked; I remember I talked to both her and Mr. X when I was there in May 2009). She remembered my complaint and said the office was waiting for new laws in order for my complaint to proceed further. I then asked if there were existing laws and why she had to wait for new laws. Unfortunately, she never made herself clear. She said she would inform Mr. X about my visit.

I heard nothing until June 22, when I received an email (written in broken English) from a hotmail account by Miss Y. No official title and no full name were provided (see below), but I am quite sure Miss Y is the lady lawyer I met on March 8. Miss Y said Mr. X had departed and my complaint was dropped, but a warning letter had been sent to the travel agent. I was surprised since I was told to wait for new laws, but now the office drops the complaint without referencing to any law.

>>about your complaint with Maneerat Transport.co.th?

Dear Sir

About your complaint with Maneerat Transport co.ltd( Khun X take care this case but now he not work here )We'd like to inform you about the result of your complaint with Maneerat co.ltd We can not force them like you ask we to do for you,because you already used programe and about over charge which you think about your case it 's too much expensive we can not foce them about price cos how much? ,it's depend on yours that's mean only you and tourist company. How ever our office sent the letter to warn them already. Any way we hope you to revitsit again and dont forget to check about the record of tourist comany.

Finally we'have to stop your complaint.

Regard,

Miss Y <<

I suspected that no one in the office has even gone through my complaint file and Miss Y just wanted to make her job easy by ending the case. The warning letter story was to make me think that something was done. I then emailed Miss Y on July 9, asking for an official reply together with a copy of the warning letter. She emailed to me on July 14, saying

>>Dear Sir,

Abou your complaint ,which I reply you with written in broken English and email with an unofficial response from Ministry of Tourism and sports. I will let you knoe as soon as possible,because I am sick so I can not reply your email but I will go to the office in this week ,may be on Thursday.

Sincerely,

Miss Y<<

I heard nothing for about 3 weeks and so I started emailing Miss Y. She finally responded by email on August 9 and wrote

>>Dear Sir,

Please do not disturb me by using a private e -mail . You can contact this office via complaint@tourism.go.th

Now I have already draft the warning letter then they will send it to Maneerat and you soon. Anyway I 'd like to tell you that Saturday and Sunday is weekend

in Thailand .Once again I am not the person who take care this case as you known since I have to read all document as you know and post or forword this by put my name like this to public ,I think you have to consult your lawyer first because it's seem to discredit me.

thak you for stop do like this ,your complaint will take the time almost 1 month.The office will let you know soon ,around 2 weeks later

Miss Y<<

She hasn't finished writing the warning letter??? So she hasn't written he warning letter she claimed to have sent weeks ago (!!!!), just what I suspected.

I have asked her if she is the lady lawyer I met on March 8, but she never answers. I have asked her to provide me her official title and full name, but she still hasn't provided. She wrote in the above email that she is "not the person who take care of [my case]". If she isn't the person, then why is she communicating with me and why is she writing the warning letter herself? I also asked her the official title and the full name of that person who takes care of my case, but she never answers (obviously, there is no such person and she is just trying to avoid responsibility).

A comedy in making? Maybe this kind of incompetence is typical of Thai agencies.

(Removed names and email address - KS)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree with Perv.

You booked through a disreputable company, lost a few baht, and won't let it go.

If that's the case, and time truly does = money, you have lost far more than 31K for all your efforts since then, because a google search of "Maneerat Transport & Travel" reveals you've posted your story on more travel forums than I even knew existed.

Either this is how you get your jollies, or you are a competitor. I suspect the former, in which case you might want to share a beer with the board member who tried to return the 100 baht defective Chinese alarm clock to the factory. :rolleyes: You two can share some great stories. :beer:

Either this is how you get your jollies, or you are a competitor. I suspect the former, in which case you might want to share a beer with the board member who tried to return the 100 baht defective Chinese alarm clock to the factory. :rolleyes: You two can share some great stories. :beer:

I guess everything is relative, I have heard many people, on this web site, complain about bank fees of say 150 baht (and in my opinion, rightfully so, it is clearly excessive).

I wonder at what amount, do people here, think that a complaint is justifiable?

I am the righteous type. I have learned many things in my quest. As I have plenty of free time, I will follow this unfolding comedy.

At least, my story has warned those planning to do business in Thailand to be cautious. Things may well be rigged and there may be no fairness.

Archived