Concerned about an encounter and symptoms

jibjab

Hey all,

Two and a half weeks ago, I had sex with a prostitute in Bangkok. She performed oral sex on me (during which I wore a condom), and afterward we continued with protected vaginal intercourse. At one point, because I saw white discharge on the condom - which she insisted was hers - I removed and discarded the condom (which appeared to be intact), and she put a new one on.

I think I followed proper safety techniques, for the most part, but I did have a cold sore (or a few) and engaged in quite a bit of french kissing. Obviously, the rate of transmission via this vector has been stressed as extremely low, but I'm wondering if both the fact that I had cold sores present inside my mouth, and that the subtype (E, I think) that is most prevalent in Thailand, might have caused me to contract HIV.

A few days to a week following the encounter, more cold sores appeared both inside my mouth and few small ones above my upper lip, around the mustache area. I also had itchy red bumps on my right foot and the base of my leg. At the time, I thought it was simply heat rash or chiggers, but now I'm starting to wonder if it was a sign of something serious. The bumps and itchiness subsided after a few days.

Almost two weeks after that, I crinked my neck while sleeping, and around that time I started feeling a tightness in my throat (like something is stuck there).

I am planning on getting a test - how soon? And do you think my concerns are merited? I did not think about any of this being symptomatic of ARS until yesterday, when I did a bit of poking around online. Now I'm extremely worried.

Also, one last thing is that I've been taking dicloxacillin (antibiotics) for the past five days, since I got a cut on my arm that became yellow and infected - have no idea if this would have any bearing, positive or negative, on my other symptons.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Jibjab

After minutes of intensive medical training, I regret to inform you that you are a goner. Sorry about that.

Payments for medical advice accepted via paypal at rchapstick@thai360.com

Thank you for visiting the Health Section of Thai360.com. Have a pleasant day.

More than likely you are fine but you wont know for sure until you visit a doctor.

It takes several months for HIV to appear, so youll probably want to get tested for this 6 months after your encounter.

Once again, a doctor will know better

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm already planning on making a visit to the doctor/hospital for an STI checkup, I think this weekend. The final question I have is what/if any tests I can ask for, that will screen me for HIV. It's been 19 days so far. The PCR test is quite reliable at around three weeks, right?

What about the duo/other tests? I am already planning to take a test at the 3-month mark, too.

Archived