Need suggestion on great Thai restaurants in BKK

doxx

My two cents - although not great or superb, Naj Exquisite Thai Cuisine located opposite BNH hospital on 42 Convent Road may be suitable (they have a website). Also there is a place on Sukhumvit Soi 16 that I can not remember the name (Balilao perhaps?). Soi 16 starts at a diagonal off Asoke and if you walk a few hundred meters into the soi there is a standalone structure on the right - you can not miss it. They serve very good Thai food in a relaxed setting. You'll see a lot of the local expats including a number of Japanese from the neighborhood there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks UAL. Good choice. Most others in this thread are absolutely clueless.

To the OP: Also try Benjarong in the Dusit; can't go wrong. If looking for a less formal and fun place, but hi-so still the same, try Zaab Eli in the Arena Complex on Thonglor soi 10.

On Suk soi 16, you are thinking of Balee Lao. Nice, but not in the ranks of the above...

A great Chinese-Thai seafood place is Je Ngor. One outlet on Suk soi 20.

In the Balee Lao range, I'd say Ruan Malika is also a good choice. But not really "hi-so."

Hi,

I'm looking for a restaurant that serves superb Thai food in a great setting and preferably with a good drinks/wine selection.

Any suggestions would be great!

Looking for an authentic Thai Royal Cuisine restaurant in Bangkok? Benjarong Royal Thai Cuisine Restaurant located in Dusit Thani Bangkok’s lower lobby level is one of the most famous Royal Thai cuisine restaurants in the city. Walking into the restaurant is like going back in time. The restaurant is amazingly stunning filled with fresh lotus flowers and beautiful classical style furniture creating a feeling of sophistication and warmth, overlooking a cascading waterfall. The interior ceiling of the restaurant is intricately decoarted with teakwood carvings and I was told that not a single nail was used for the ceiling fixtures. It bears a further testimony to the excellence of Thai craftsmanship. The most beautiful five-coloured porcelain crockery called Benjarong is produced in Ampawa distict in Samut Songkram province. It represents the exquisite craftsmanship and beauty of Thai art. It was originally reserved for Royal and ceremonial purposes in the past and a restaurant that preserves the tradition of Royal Thai cuisine carries its name, is Benjarong Royal Thai Cuisine Restaurant.

Another suggestion is to do a dinner cruise.

Dinner on Manorah cruise:

7:30 pm.- 10:00pm. Meet at Bangkok Marriott and Spa peir hotel's lobby before the tour starts 10-20 munute.

Enjoy having dinner on the beautifully restored 50-year-old Manohra Rice Barge made of delicate, gleaming wood is the perfect venue for a unique Bangkok cultural and culinary experience. On this romantic evening dinner cruise, it will guide you along the Chao Praya River and introduce you to the City of Angels by night with a spectacular and memorable experience.

Can't speak to the restaurant, but the Manorha cruise (I have been on it 3 times), while it can be "romantic"-ish, the food, as Thai food goes, pretty well sucks, it is set up for farang palates and is not very good. Also, there are quite a few other dinner cruises that are just as scenic and less costly.

I too like Baan Kanitha, & I don't think it is too pretentious nor outrageously expensive. Love their soft shelled crab in yellow curry. They also do fish Thai style (the whole fish), but unlike most restaurants, they debone the fish and sort of reassemble it. Been there too many times to count on 3 or 4 hands and it has never disappointed.

As mentioned, Tawandaeng might be a good place for show, music, and food, and IMHO, the best beer in town since they brew their own. The food is often good, but can be hit and miss from time to time. Be aware, that it will be loud, so if conversation is part of the plans, it is probably not the best place to go. If there are kids or underaged folks in the party, you can go to the Tawandaeng close to Ram Intra (a ways out), but the unaged don't have to leave at 10:00 like at the one on Rama III.

People mentioned Ventiane, the food there is good, but heavily oriented toward Issan food.

There are nice smaller, yet nice venues, like the Northern Thai Restaurant on Soi 35 (name does not pop into my head), quiet, not plain, but not fancy, and really good northern cuisine. Maybe someone can help on the name.

If you want to do seafood, and run the gamut of prices, there is always the Seafood Market on Soi 24, where they say, if it swims, we have it. You can choose your food in a market environment, including vegetables, etc., and have it prepared to your liking. They also have a very large wine shop there. I find it too large & impersonal, but the food can be great and also very expensive if you so choose. You will note the abundance of Japanese there, that should tell you about the prices...but, you don't have to select the most expensive seafood as well.

I used to go to Gung Pao out on Rachada, and I thought the food was good there, but I have not been there in a while so I don't know if it is still good...but it is certainly a Thai-fequented, rather than farang frequented place.

But not really "hi-so."

OMG ! Once again, LK to the rescue of us poor, "clueless" wannabe gourmets. :bow::bow::bow:

And thanks for the bit about not "hi-so". Sounds perfect. If there is one type of clientel I abhor it is the faux hi-so crowd. (For those who aren't "in the know", LK is from Deeeeeeetroit, where, compared to KFC and Popeye's, Chic-Filet is considered "hi-so".) :neener:

HH

But not really "hi-so."

(For those who aren't "in the know"' date=' LK is from Deeeeeeetroit, where, compared to KFC and Popeye's, Chic-Filet is considered "hi-so".) :neener:

HH[/quote']

any cunt from detwat knows that LaFayette Coney Island is tops....followed by White Castle burgers...give the LK a break.... :beer:

What's a Chic Filet? We ain't got those there in Detroit.

Other than that, fuck off HH & Munchie and whomever else. The OP wanted great places, and the posters here are sending him to McDonald's. Maybe the bug cart at NEP is *your* idea of a great meal, but obviously that's not what the OP wanted.

If it's one thing I know, it's food. Just look at me 555+.

To another poster: That Lanna place on 35 is cool. It is hard to find. Name starts with a G...Gedhawa? Can't recall, but I think there is a review in the food section if you look back far enough. And it IS the only restaurant on 35, so you really can't miss it no matter what.

Bo.Lan on 26 is OK too, but run a lot of set menus which are not everyone's cup of tea.

As far as faux hi-so, just look in the mirror HH. I'm the real thing...yellow shirt and all. Unlike you red shirt posers.

Archived