Can visa extension be done at BKK airport?

yfs

DO NOT believe anyone who says you can do anything with a visa at the airport, arseholes got rid of the exit permit at the airport and it's been farked ever since

DO it all at the new place

The system is not farked just some whinging expats are.

FFS you go to Immigration to renew visa / get extensions what is so hard about getting a Multi re-entry visa at the same time?

Like its not as if leaving the kingdom within the next 12 months comes as a major surprise to those of us (yourself included) who do business in countries other than Thailand.

Don't disagree but why move a office that had worked well at both airports?

In my case I had urgent call to go out of the country, 7am Sunday flight, just at the time they decided with minimal notice to close the airport office.

No chance to do anything but start from scratch. Was easy to do, but a pain in the arse and stupid thing for Immigration to do.

Is there any reason at all why they have the re-entry stamp? Why does it exist even? It's a dumb idea, hence I feel pretty free to criticize dumb ideas.

I've also posted about the good treatment, especially in Nong Kai, I've gotten from Immigration, where they've gone out of their way to be helpful.

But dumb ideas are dumb, moving that office . . . dumb.

IMHO the new Immigration office knocks spots off the old one, everything located in the same building. Photocopies 1 Baht each, banks issue letters about bank balance on the spot etc, and a damn site easier to park.

When I was there a few weeks ago it took less than 90 minutes to process my 12 month "extension to stay" on a non-imm O, wnet back 28 days later and it took less than 10 minutes to have new stamp in the passport then less than 45 minutes to get a multiple exit / re-entry visa issued.

Thailand is not the only country in the world which requires exit visas and at least you can leave without one, all be it you have to reapply for new visa upon return if you choose to do so.

It may be a Dumb system in your opinion but it is one of the joys about living in Thailand, these stupid rules exist and as an expat we learn to go with the flow rather than have a bitch about them. You have been in Thailand long enough to realise that they have us jumping through hoops for many issues and as such one just plans ahead and complies with the silly rules no matter how stupid they may appear to our western way of thinking. Multi re-entry visa's are valid as long as your extension to stay is amd for me applying for such at the same time is second nature.

On a side note, I arrived back in Europe last weekend for the first time in 20 years and was amazed at how lax immigration was, biometrics in my passport and they didn't even scan it, I just showed my passport ID page and was waved through without even breaking stride.

Most bizarre of all is that after they have you jumping through hoops and paying through the nose to become a permanent resident, you STILL have to get a re-entry permit before leaving the country. If you don't, they cancel your permanent resident's visa! So how permanent is that?

Tell me the re-entry permit isn't just another way to make money. :dunno:

Archived