The Most Fiscally Irresponsible Government in U.S. History

cavanami

"Change you can believe in"...remember those words and whose mouth they came out of? It should have been, "Getting worse and you can believe in that"!!!

http://politics.usnews.com/opinion/mzuckerman/articles/2010/08/26/the-most-fiscally-irresponsible-government-in-us-history.html

There is an instinctive conclusion among the American public that [color:red]President Obama’s stimulus package has failed to create a sustained recovery[/color]. [color:red]Unemployment has increased[/color], not declined; consumers have retrenched; housing starts have crashed along with mortgage applications; and there is a fear that a double-dip recession may very well be in the pipeline. The public perception, reflected in Pew Research/National Journal polls, is that the measures to combat the Great Recession have mostly helped large banks and financial institutions, and that’s a view common to Republicans (75 percent) and Democrats (73 percent). Only one third of either political leaning thinks government policies have done a great deal or a fair amount for the poor.

There is another instinctive conclusion among the American people. It is that [color:red]the national deficit, and the debts we have accumulated, are of critical political importance[/color]. On the national debt, the money the government has spent without the tax revenues to pay for it has produced mind-numbing numbers so large as to be disconnected from reality. Zeros from here to infinity. The sums are hard to describe; it is hard to describe an elephant, but you know one when you see one. [color:red]The public knows that, shuffle the numbers as you may, the level of debt is unsustainable.[/color]

Who could be surprised since millions of voters have discovered that for themselves? As one realizes the morning after the night before, there is an unavoidable penalty for excess. It is unnerving to wake up and learn that you have a mortgage on your home that exceeds the value of the property. Or, and too often both, you have a credit card line that you cannot repay and the issuer has you on the rack for ever bigger compound interest on the debt. The lesson has been well and truly learned that debt catches up with you. Millions understand that they are just going to have to find a way to live within their meansâ€â€and then still eke out some savings to pay down debt. And [color:red]there are well over 14 million Americans without a paying job[/color], so the level of discontent is very high. Just how are they going to regain control of their lives?...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Obama's biggest mistake was going for health care so early. It didn't make sense to me.

That said, had we had McCain win, I am convinced we'd have spent tons of money. Obama would have spent more probably...probably. We would have been in Iraq longer and that would have cost untold hundreds of billions. We would have still bailed out the companies.

I really don't see how either party would not have spent trillions. I really don't.

I don't see how McCain and the Republicans would have gotten us more jobs. My guess is it would be with incentives (tax breaks, looser regulatations, etc.) to big businesses and I would bet any amount they wouldn't hire because frankly people aren't spending and people don't have jobs or money.

I know those of us who are committed to either party like to think there are vast differences between the two.

The differences is in rhetoric NOT actions. The only difference I see between Obama and what McCain would have spent is where it would have been spent, not how much.

8 years of Bush / Cheney is going to take the U.S. of Assfucked 80 years to recover. The biggest clusterfuck of a country in modern times.

The Russians laugh at us and the Chinese own us... :rolleyes:

Pretty soon the Mexicans will start watching their borders from yanks trying to enter.. :shakehead

Thankfully i'm too old to worry about the damage done by the Repubs...it's the following generations that will suffer the Bush/Cheney effect... :wave::wave::wave:

With the strong rumor of cuts to social security, delaying social security payouts, will affect everyone, old and young!

Also as the US dollar continues to go in to the toilet, this will diminish your buying power.

Taxes will continue to increase and the value of your house will decline.

This is the good news...

Yes, the Bush gang screwed up the economy but Obama has not even inched it around one little bit! Obama continued with the bailout to his wall street / banker buddies while nothing for the average US citizen.

Yeah, people seem to forget it took Bushie and the Repubnuts 8 years to get it this fucked up, and now expect the new guy to fix it in just one year. Makes one wonder don't it?

Sure makes me wonder how "the new guy" thinks doubling/tripling the deficit in his first 18 months is gonna "fix it". :banghead: So, while "Bushie" took 8 years and a Demoncrat Congress to fuck things up, Obama has done in a relatively short time even worse. Sure as fuck "change we can believe in". :rotl:

HH

Archived