The Bangkok Sexpat

Ckrisg

Stickman Weekly - 29 Aug 10

" few years back the Thai government tightened up the work permit requirements for foreign teachers. There are still some old relics in the system, but the net result is that a different type of person is applying for teaching positions in Bangkok these days. Where once the average foreign English teacher in Bangkok was a 45+ year-old letch, nowadays he is more likely to be in his 20s, clean cut and have little or no interest in the naughty bars. That's probably just as well as given that teachers' salaries have moved at a snail's pace and prices in the bars have soared".

Have to disagree with you here Stick, you have never been out with the 20/30s teachers from Bangkok leading International School.

As in the UK bars/pubs are on their arse due to a number of reasons, one being the prices in Nana/Cowboy are higher than the UK, a lot of guys now prefer to eat and drink in a restaurant and give the bars a miss.

Me living out in the Thai burbs, this year I am seeing more and younger farang. They are staying in the low cost hotels around here...just saw one for 1800 Baht/month!

These people I would not describe as a sexpat. There are many farang couples out here, more then I have seen in the past 10 years. More like backpackers but not sexpats.

On Soi 97 there is a 5000B/month decent hotel that would have a number of sexpats in previous years, but not this year.

I agree say 50% with Stick on this, but I am not getting the view from the hi-so areas of BKK, thus the 50% and Stick is looking at the hi-so areas, as well as Nana, Patpong, etc.

For sure, BKK is/has changed. Cost are much higher and thus attract a different crowd.

I guess you are referring to ISB? I personally prefer Pattana but acknowledge that ISB seems to be considered better by the majority.

I have regular readers on the staff at ISB and I know at least one pervert on the staff at a Bangkok school [removed school name - KS] in a senior position - so yeah, I hear some stories.

I have heard some horrendous stories about letches on the faculty at a certain international school using the British curriculum.

With all of this said, I stand by what I wrote. Sure, there will always be some exceptions.

Your mileage may vary. If you have stories to share, come on, share them!

Hi Stick

No I am referring to Pattana, I have a lot of friends who work there, in their 20/30s well paid and living the sexpat life to the full.

In the last couple of years some have moved on and have full time live ins others have had to leave due to being unable to control their excesses. However each year a new influx arrives from the UK, USA etc and I dont see any major change in their attitude or reasons for coming to Thailand.

True I dont live in Bangkok full time I work and visit there on a regular basis. We have had a couple of young guys work in our Bangkok and Singapore offices who have left the company when they were unable to secure a full time position to go travelling (as they put it) both now sharing a hovel in LOS and well you guessed it? :evil:

Didn't keep the Galt from being sued did it, even with his small unknown site, being known to mainly guys from monger sites, using a pseudonym online, all that. Crazy lawsuit stuff over here really. I'd think Stick, who most people know his real name, and who has a large well-known site (which could be seen to cause much more damage to a person's or institution's reputation than the Galt's small site), would be more careful of the aspersions he casts on his site. It could cause problems some day for him. Might even be sued for defamation or slander by the schools themselves I'd think if this pisses someone off there who has some pull. Weird times in Thailand, so be careful. Lawsuits are a dime a dozen these days, everyone's doing it. Hell, yellow shirt criminals (and red shirt as well) are suing the police who are investigating them. Mind boggling.

JMHO

It's just as likely, perhaps even more likely, that the owner of this site would be sued, as the comments appear here, and the site owner has chosen not to edit, moderate or delete them. That's what happened to the owner of Prachathai.com, right? She faces criminal charges because she did not delete comments made on her board which could be construed to be defamatory...

Archived