The Bangkok Sexpat

Ckrisg

Didn't keep the Galt from being sued did it, even with his small unknown site, being known to mainly guys from monger sites, using a pseudonym online, all that. Crazy lawsuit stuff over here really. I'd think Stick, who most people know his real name, and who has a large well-known site (which could be seen to cause much more damage to a person's or institution's reputation than the Galt's small site), would be more careful of the aspersions he casts on his site. It could cause problems some day for him. Might even be sued for defamation or slander by the schools themselves I'd think if this pisses someone off there who has some pull. Weird times in Thailand, so be careful. Lawsuits are a dime a dozen these days, everyone's doing it. Hell, yellow shirt criminals (and red shirt as well) are suing the police who are investigating them. Mind boggling.

JMHO

True but Galt named a person and his business. I could just have easily have said guys from a bar... guys from etc etc.

If Khun Sanuk has a problem with this thread happy for it to be deleted

"perhaps even more likely"

Why would it be more likely in your eyes, perhaps?

And, if that was so, would it not then be 'extremely' likely they would go after the origin of the quote, that was quoted on a site like this, as well?

Like I said in the earlier post, times are strange in the LOS. Lawsuits are a dime a dozen, and the one between the Galt guy and whatshisname has proven it can be done with farang as the defendant, and between farangs. There are possible repercussions in what one chooses to say publicly on the websites these days, especially if you live in the LOS, and especially if your true name is well enough known and your identity not well hidden. It's a new twist that has taken off and is something we need to be careful of in this day and age.

Interesting discussion, but my original post was not about any legal issues. It seems to me that on a supposed 'mongers' board, that being too specific, especially where it is not necessary for making a point, is best avoided. What did naming actual schools and positions contribute to the discussion? Perhaps a bit of credibility, but it seemed like overkill to me. Just my opinion.

It is more likely in my eyes because the owner of a website can often be found by a simple Google search.

A person who posts on a site, irrespective of the name or pseudonym used, is much more difficult to locate and *prove*. A posting could be traced to an IP address. If it is a shared IP address, for example, it all starts to get rather complicated.

It's the same with any site that accepts posts from its users. How about that site often referred to as TS.com. No, not transsexuals.com, the one with a local fiction slant. While the stories posted there may not be written by the owners of the site, they could find themselves liable for a defamation suit if they allowed any post / story that could be considered defamatory. Determining and more succinctly, *proving* exactly who the writer of a defamatory post was, is much more difficult!

If something is considered defamatory then those seeking redress might pursue the owners of the site as it is much easier to prove who they are! Determining and proving who actually wrote the defamatory posting / article in the first place is *much* more difficult.

For example, I could log on here as Dave The Rave and post something defamatory. Does that mean that the guy who writes on a site of that name wrote the article? No, not at all! It would need to be proven who wrote it.

Obviously, I don't believe anything would happen and am only pointing this out to answer your question and for no other reason.

Archived