Banning guns saves 200 lives a year

Nervous God

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An interesting take on the US....

When my GF came to the US one thing she noticed was that no one in NC had a wall and few had a fence. Those that had fences had the white picket kind which would stop nothing at all.

But in Buiram... just about every house has a 6ft brick wall around it. What is it the Thais are trying to keep out that Americans seem to have no fear of?

The back of my property in Arizona has 2 fences. If they get over the 2nd fence, they ot to have some very good reasons for being there.

'Why have Americans suddenly become more violent?'

I'm not sure they have. But there are a lot more Americans these days. It's still a huge country but it's getting a little crowded in places. There are a lot more social pressures nowadays which means more people going postal.

Nobody went off on mass killing sprees before. Kids didn't go gun down their classmates. I remember that movies and TV were much less violent - a connection ... or a reflection?

Dunno. I've watched it happen in my lifetime. I suppose the obvious answer is bad parenting and/or broken homes but parents don't really stand a chance against the other pressures.

-------

Good God you could have an entire field of study analyzing what you gentlemen hit on and not reach a lick of consensus.

My .02 = there's been kind of a collapse of the structure in American Culture. It started in the 60s, and it was needed -- but, there is a vacuum now. I think you're seeing more people going Postal due to this alone. Religion is always springing up to fill that void but it's having a difficult time, and would we really want a return to the 50s? (I fucking wouldn't).

Still, would like to see people have some more meaningful values.

Americans are more violent, and it's a callous indifferent violence. Not good.

Even so I wouldn't support laws that took away the legality of firearms. What I would support is people becoming more sophisticated, and less evil.

I don't carry a gun because I'm too neurotic and don't want to be put in a position where I could potentially use it.

As for the 200 suicides averted... hmmmm. If they really want to kill themselves, let them. You might have 200 folks destroying others now because they couldn't destroy themselves.

If the numbers are right and banning guns or whatever works for Austrailia, more power to 'em. What I don't want to hear is 'well banning works there so it should work in the U.S.' Argument.

Firearms and the associative effects on a society is not a one size fits all for all societies.

Its been argued before. Switzerland has far more guns than a lot of countries and less crime than per capita than countries that ban guns.

Its culture and other things. America isn't one homogenous place. Its a huge, vast country with very different cultures within it.

There are cities that have very restrictive gun laws that have far more crimes and murders per capita that a lot of areas that have a high number of people with guns and litteraly no gun crimes or murders. These places may be in South Dakota, Montana and Alabama but its still holds true.

Americans have a long history with the idea of individuals owning guns. Its part of our national fabric. Very difficult for those outside the country to comprehend and I don't expect them to, as we don't comprehend as well things that we believe run against civil liberties that we think are 'God given' but are denied in 'civilized' coutntries.

The Aussies made a decision. Congrats. Has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with gun ownership in America as some would like to make a connection.

Archived