Best PC or Online program for learning Thai?

kamui

I think it is time to start to learn the basics of the Thai language. Since I have a very chaotic schedule I will not be able to take classes.

I just downloaded Thai lessons 1-5 from Pimsleur. But this in only for listening. Since I am more a visual learner - I need to see the vocabulary written - I wonder if there are better solutions?

Therefore what is the best beginners solution for to learn Thai, either a Mac based software or online tutorial?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it! I've been saying this for years! :D

<<

Stickie: In the decade or so I have been floating around Thailand the country has undergone massive change, some changes for the better, some perhaps not. What changes have you seen in your homeland, and what do you make of them?

[color:red]Benjawan: Now the bargirls are fat![/color]

Stickie: Thank you so much for saying that. Now, hopefully, some readers will believe me when I say it!

Benjawan: Actually, Thai people in general are a lot more overweight than they used to be. I believe that in their desire to emulate the Western world Thai people are giving up their healthy eating habits and value systems.

I find Thais, in general, more materialistic and less happy than they used to be. The people in the Land of Smiles were much happier before they were taught that they needed that new cellphone or Mercedes. Good old Western advertising works just as well on Thais to make them feel inadequate without the hottest car or motorcycle. And do we really need whitening deodorant? >>

The old AUA Thai language books by Marvin Brown were great. Brown is now deceased and God knows what AUA uses these days. (AUA almost went bankrupt last year.) The Peace Corps language books in the early 70s were based on Marvin Brown's books. I kept mine, but my Mrs stored them in a "safe place" where the white ants ate everything! :cussing:

Therefore what is the best beginners solution for to learn Thai, either a Mac based software or online tutorial?

I don't know about the 'best,' since I haven't tried a lot of coursework and am learning myself. That said -- this was recommended to me and has been helpful over the past few months. Will continue to use it.

http://learn-thai-podcast.com/

The old AUA Thai language books by Marvin Brown were great. Brown is now deceased and God knows what AUA uses these days. (AUA almost went bankrupt last year.) The Peace Corps language books in the early 70s were based on Marvin Brown's books. I kept mine, but my Mrs stored them in a "safe place" where the white ants ate everything!

When I read your post, I realized that I had some of those books at some point. Well, sure as suzy is my uncle, I checked and have books 1 and 2. How many were there? If you really want them, copying is certainly cheap here in LOS.

Therefore what is the best beginners solution for to learn Thai' date=' either a Mac based software or online tutorial?

[/quote']

I don't know about the 'best,' since I haven't tried a lot of coursework and am learning myself. That said -- this was recommended to me and has been helpful over the past few months. Will continue to use it.

http://learn-thai-podcast.com/

Thanks Dave, this looks very interesting - a mix of audio and video and written/spoken vocabulary. I will subscribe for a trial week.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't need them now. But some of the other BMs might like them. I know there were at least 3 books (basic, intermediate, advanced). I've got another that is all Thai idioms and colloquial Thai, the spoken language in contrast to "proper" textbook Thai. There was also a book just about writing - with examples of handwriting styles.

The old AUA books are very practical - all conversational Thai beginning with the most common scenarios. We called it "survival level Thai". The Peace Corps started us out learning basic greetings, how to say who we were and where we were from. Then we learned how to travel around - asking and giving directions, buying train and bus tickets etc, so we could get around the country. Next we learned how to order meals, followed by how to buy things we would need such as clothes and shoes. In just a few weeks we were able to travel around Bangkok comfortably, feeding ourselves, renting a hotel room, chatting up BGs and so on ... all in fairly correct Thai. This was in the 1970s, when far fewer people even in the Big Durian could speak English. Upcountry you had to speak Thai, unless you knew sign language!

Too many language courses ignore the vocabulary you really need to know. The AUA books didn't.

Archived