Best PC or Online program for learning Thai?

kamui

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an update. I gave up on trying to learn Thai via my PC/iPhone.

Repeating words without having any idea if my pronunciation was right frustrated me very much.

Therefore today I had my first private lesson with a professional Thai teacher. We started immediately with learning the first groups of consonants and vowels. I never would get the tones right without her help. Also she already taught me to read and write the associated letters.

After 45 minutes my head was spinning. Now I have a lot of homework to do.

That's how it should be!

:up:

Peace Corps started us out on Thai with six hours a day - six hours a week. After two weeks of that we were ready to mutiny! Still, with just 3 weeks in country I was able to order meals, buy clothes, tell taxi drivers where to go, book a ticket on the train to our next training site etc. Saturation is what it takes!

You shouldn't have that much trouble, since you've already learned another (and probably several) foreign languages. You develop methods of learning after a while.

Just think of it this way. In non-tonal languages, words are made up only of vowel and consonant sounds. In tonal languages it's vowel, consonant and tone. Learn all three together. You can no more separate the tone from the rest than you can leave out the vowel or consonant in a word in German and expect it to mean anything. It comes with practice.

I remember a few years back sitting at a small food stall up in the Mair Hong Sorn area.The owner had a minor bird in a cage suspended from the roof of the stall.At random intervals it would chirp out Thai phrases such as " kai bor dai dork " and " kai mai dee leree ".So how difficult can it be to learn Thai when even a bird can do it ..... :clown: :hubba:

Archived