Storing A LOT on email

gawguy

You seem very paranoid for just a few financials or whatever. But hey' date=' not my business, just an advice offer.[/quote']

First, the financials are more than just a few.

Second, this is kind of a mission. About a month ago I decided I wanted better security for everything and went about getting it. For one thing I have a very committed long-term life partner and I most strongly prefer that if anything were to happen to me she not see things that would hurt her. She's very curious. That might happen through her technically trained sons who would likely receive my computers from her. Therefore these files are coming off of the drives on my computers.

I had the plan in process and you fellows have helped me refine it.

Thanks,

GG

Since your computer is not secure, neither would your info be online. A keylogger could be installed on your computer and any info you have online could be downloaded and decrypted!

Use an encrypted USB FLASH drive (biometric) that you can put in a secure place. That way your data is still safe even thou your computer had a keylogger.

32GB USB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since your computer is not secure, neither would your info be online. A keylogger could be installed on your computer and any info you have online could be downloaded and decrypted!

Use an encrypted USB FLASH drive (biometric) that you can put in a secure place. That way your data is still safe even thou your computer had a keylogger.

32GB USB

My plan goes along those lines for a second backup.

My computer is secure from keylogger installers, if you mean someone who would come in and install a program when I'm gone. That's not a concern.

I don't put that computer on wifi, just lan, so keylogger can't be installed via wifi.

I will also be using a password program when I decide on one so I won't be typing in passwords.

Does that cover the keylogger issue or not?

Thanks,

GG

You said your computer is used by others when you are out. Why do you believe a keylogger can not be installed by one of those clever sons, but they can decrypt a hidden, encrypted partition?

Bit of a misunderstanding here. No one has access to my systems while I'm routinely out or / out of the country. The youngsters are not the ones I worry about with the keyloggers. That would be online thieves. I want to keep the youngsters out of the personal stuff if I "buy the farm" and they "inherit" my computers - their mother, my life partner would naturally give my computers to them. These discussions have given me a plan to keep the files out of their reach so to speak. For one thing, I now understand that they couldn't break into a strong pw protected tc container which is where I have kept them anyway. But pls feel free to make other comments here if you like.

As this topic has progressed I've gotten into more and more issues that you guys have raised, and keyloggers deserves its own post.

Thanks

GG

[color:green]Okay Herr Carlton..Here's a scenario. I use TrueCrypt, a very fine program. I go overseas or am otherwise out of the picture. Little relatives get free access to my systems.[/color]

So that is no longer the case? :dunno:

Sorry Shygye..The first part was more of a theoretical scenario, than a real one. Their mother takes care of my things really well while I gone and they don't even come over to my home, let alone touch anything. They wouldn't get access as long as I'm alive. But if I died, I would expect her to give all my tech gear to her sons.

GG

Archived