Coriander

The_Munchmaster

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a recipe years ago where the main ingredient was coriander. It produced a really vivid green thick sauce and was delicious. I think it was an Indian dish but it could have been from somewhere else. It might have actually been spinach thinking more about it.

What a coincidence, I also have 2 avocados at home......but they're not in the fridge.

You ripen avocados in a brown paper bag at room temp. When they're about ripe, you move them to the fridge, if you aren't ready to use them that day.

Avocados, coriander (cilantro), ... About time for a grocery store run. I feel the need for guacamole.

• 4 months later...

Coriander is now Britain's favourite herb: Ingredient sees surge in sales thanks to popularity of Asian curries and stir fries

Basil is boring and parsley is passe – but coriander is the flavour of the month.

At least, that's what the nation's shopping habits suggest.

Because coriander, a central ingredient in many Asian curries and stir fries, has overtaken more traditional favourites to become the most popular fresh herb.

More than 30million packs and bunches were sold in the last year as home cooks grew more confident making foreign dishes.

Parsley came in second, with 23million sales, and basil was third at 19million, a report by herb producer Vitacress said.

The study also found 30 per cent of people have started cooking more world cuisine – with dishes from Mexico, China and Thailand growing the most in popularity over the last five years.

Mexican fajitas have seen the biggest increase, with 20 per cent more people making them at home, while Chinese stir fries are being cooked 16 per cent more.

Meanwhile, the Italian classic, spaghetti bolognaise, has lost popularity over the last five years and is being cooked three per cent less.

Coriander has only been grown commercially in Britain since the 1970s, but it is already firmly established. An analysis of 21 top cookery books by celebrity chefs found the herb was mentioned 285 times.

Celebrity chefs and TV cooking shows are responsible for 31 per cent of the nation's inspiration to cook. While friends and family got 30 per cent of the votes and restaurants came in just behind with 29 per cent.

Ann Tenison, from Vitacress, who conducted the survey, said: 'Sales of fresh herbs, combined with this report into cookery trends, firmly demonstrate that we are a nation with truly international food tastes.

'Greater availability of ingredients, international travel and more exposure to food in the media are all factors in driving popularity of ingredients.'

Chef Mark Sargeant, who runs the Rocksalt restaurant in Folkestone, Kent, added: 'It's great that people are embracing cooking at home and making the most of the great range of new ingredients and cuisines we have access to today.

'It's amazing to think that 20 years ago home cooks wouldn't have even had access to the wide range of ingredients and fresh herbs, and now they're common in many kitchens!'

Asian shops in the UK, e.g. Wing Yip, sell coriander roots, which is a bit of a cheek when complete coriander is sold elsewhere in Europe. I reckon supermarkets factored how much it would cost to wash the soil from roots and decided to bin them instead.

I tried growing coriander in the UK. It worked well enough, but greenfly ate the lot. Goes to show that coriander is popular with flying things too so make sure you wash it well to get rid of any pesticides. You can buy chopped coriander in frozen form too.

Odd to see cooking themes on here, but why not? Good topic.

"Mexican fajitas have seen the biggest increase ..."

I grew up in the Southwest, part of the time as a minority (English speaking) and with frequent visits to Mexico. But I never heard of fajitas until Taco Bell started selling them. Googling them shows they were "invented" in Texas.

<< The word fajita is not known to have appeared in print until 1971, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. >>