City of Sleaze...again...

chuckwoww

Somewhere in the world there may be a city with a more seedy reputation, a place more devoted to the sex industry and more notorious as a haven for criminals on the lam. But probably not.

When dusk comes to this beach resort, a sea of pink neon bulbs casts a pale glow onto the thickly made-up faces of thousands of women (and some men) who sit on bar stools waiting for their patrons.

If Las Vegas is Sin City, Pattaya is a bear hug from Lucifer himself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/world/asia/16iht-pattaya.html?_r=2&ref=asia

<< A two-hour drive from Bangkok, Pattaya was little more than a fishing village four decades ago when U.S. soldiers fighting in the Vietnam War discovered a pristine, coral-filled bay. Tens of thousands of lonely soldiers armed with dollars sought respite from the war in a country of relative poverty, lax law enforcement and historically tolerant attitudes toward prostitution. The result was predictable. >>

Wow! How come I'd never even heard of Pattaya when I was a GI in RVN? In fact, I don't know a single guy who went on an R&R in Pattaya. Do you think the fact that it wasn't an R&R option may have had something to do with it? :dunno:

Pattaya was popular with the guys STATIONED in Thailand, such as the USAF dudes at Udorn. No "U.S. soldiers fighting in the Vietnam War" ever set foot in the place.

R&R was 6 days and 5 nights. No GI from RVN did anything except hit the bars and MPs of Bangkok. They arrived at Don Muang, checked into a hotel ... and went out on the town.

I like his comparison to law abiding Singapore..... where prositiution is actually legal. :)

Ive read the same article hundreds of times, penned by different authors. I guess he probably had to fly out from NY to actually "see" what he was writing about, so from that angle I cant say I blame him.

If i were a reporter, I would try and let my bosses do a 12 part series on the evils of Pattaya.

Anyhow, that Lucifer fellow is not such a bad guy and a hell of a lot of fun. I beleive that I had a drink with him the other night on Walikng Street.

Archived