HSBC, and/or opening an account at a Thai Bank

dave32

Alright, I'm going to display my ignorance (again).

For anyone who may have experience with this -- I know HSBC has branches in Bangkok. There's also one in LA a couple blocks from my house. If I open an account there, can I walk into a branch in Bangkok and withdraw. Can I use Bangkok ATMs without the heavy fees?

If I came to LOS on a student Visa for a year, would I need to open up an account in the BKK HSBC even though I have one here? Would I be able to?

Or, are there any Banks (or processes) any of you would recommend?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an account with Citibank in the USA. There is Citibank here in BKK but they can not access any of my banking records in the USA. The BKK Citibank said they are separate from the US Citibanks.

As for the fees, I have not tried to pull any money out of a Citibank ATM here in BKK using my (US) Citibank ATM card. I have been using Aeon ATMs, as there is no fee and the exchange rate has been OK.

I would expect HSBC to be the same as Citibank...maybe :dunno:

Why not walk into HSBC where you are and ask them? Not that anything in Thailand is like the real world but maybe you could get a feel for if you can do what you suggested or not.

To me (but I'm an idiot) you should be able to do what you said. It's HSBC no matter if it's the US or otherwise. Same company, yes?

Yep, you're right. And I am going to walk into HSBC and inquire, no matter what response I get -- just doing a little fishing. It's same company but I've heard stories (comparable to Cav's) about BKK bank branches.

And I have no experience with it. Gathering info. I'll get off my lazy a$$ and do some searches too. Also want to leave it open, so someone could say -- "Yo numbnuts! you could also do this (fill in blank)!" Or (fill in blank) would be a better option for you.

Ps. Forgot, thx for input Cav

Pps. When I say HSBC is a couple blocks from my 'house' above, I meant house in the general sense of place where you live. It's actually a small apartment, cause my ass is scrimping and saving everything possible to put this into effect.

Good day gentlemen.

For anyone who may have experience with this -- I know HSBC has branches in Bangkok. There's also one in LA a couple blocks from my house. If I open an account there, can I walk into a branch in Bangkok and withdraw. Can I use Bangkok ATMs without the heavy fees?

If I came to LOS on a student Visa for a year, would I need to open up an account in the BKK HSBC even though I have one here? Would I be able to?

Some years back you could do this with HSBC accts at the HSBC ATMs. These were with ATM cards that did not have the Visa, Plus or Cirrus logos on them and you could get account balances and check various accounts.

Even if your account is with HSBC in the US, or if you are a US person banking with them anywhere, it becomes more complicated. They do not want to have issues given the large presence they have in the US.

Even the major Swiss banks do not want to deal with US citizens now.

Since 9/11 and the Patriot Act the whole financial world for US citizens has changed.

But it is worth it as we all know the Taliban and Al Queda secretly wanted to maintain brokerage accounts in the US banking system and you can't put a price tag on freedom.

First open a foreign currency account (I did mine in Silom) Once that is done apply for a linked Thai Baht account. You can do this at the same time. Make sure you have a letter of introduction from you home bank as it will more than likely be asked for. Think my ATM card took a couple of days. You can apply for internet banking but that takes a bit longer.

Remember than when you deposit THB into your THB account you may be required to show how you obtained it.

Having done that I can operate either account anywhere in the worl where HSBC operate.

US Banks are mostly state regulated. They have some difficulty with even operating across state borders much less international ones.

In order for a HSBC/CITI/BofA bank branch to operate in Bangkok and connect to your bank account in some US State it would have to be chartered in the state where you have your US account. It would be impossible or at least economically unviable for a bank to try to have an international bank branch that would be chartered in every state it operates in the US.

Oh, and the CITI ATM's at Interchange 21 do not charge the 150 baht fee.

TH

HSBC, has been advertising in the US:

YOU LOCAL BANK, ON THE NET, AROUND THE CORNER OR AROUND THE WORLD.

A friend has a highend account, HSBC PREMIER. I am told with that account he can do his banking as if he was in the US, around the world. No Transaction fees of anykind, Bank pays all ATM Fees and always a good FX exchange rate, at their foreign branches. He tells me most if not all accounts, have the same benifits (he has more).

[color:red]I will be interested to know what you find out, when you look into it.[/color]

HSBC USA Receives Approval for National Charter.

Publication: Business Wire

Date: Thursday, June 24 2004

NEW YORK -- HSBC USA Inc. today announced that the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) has approved its applications to consolidate its U.S. banking operations under a national charter. This approval will allow HSBC USA Inc. to consolidate its New York State chartered bank, HSBC Bank USA, with its national trust company, HSBC Bank & Trust Company (Delaware), N.A.

(MORE) http://www.allbusiness.com/banking-finance/banking-institutions-systems-bank/5198452-1.html

Archived