admiring kutlure at Octoberfest,

Nervous God

Barfing Oktoberfest drunks face taxi cleanup fees

Revellers who drunkenly vomit in taxis must cough up the cleanup costs, according to an Oktoberfest-related court decision published by a Munich district court on Monday. :barf:

The case involved a lawsuit brought by a taxi driver in the Bavarian capital following a nasty 2009 incident in his vehicle, a court statement said.

After picking up a Munich couple on their way home from the city's annual beer festival, the driver said the man threw up in his vehicle, which cost a combined €241 for cleanup and missed work.

The taxi driver attempted to charge the passenger, but he alleged that the driver had not obliged his request to pull over, and had berated him instead.

“It is undisputed that the defendant vomited in the taxi during the drive and soiled the taxi,†the court said in a statement, calling the act a breach of the “contract of carriage.â€Â

“Those who drunkenly get into taxis must calculate that they might have to vomit,†the court said. “In principle they then owe payment of cleaning costs.â€Â

But because the driver did not stop immediately, he was also at fault for the incident, and would therefore receive only half of the sum which he requested.

The ruling, made on September 2, is effective immediately, meaning drunken revellers at this year’s ongoing 200th Anniversary Oktoberfest celebration should think twice before they stumble into a cab.

Link

The example given sounds like it happened it Thailand. I mean, is the taxi driver supposed to just stop immediately with no regard for other cars or pedestrians? And what kind of notice must be given to the driver? If he takes more than 3 seconds, is that too long? 5 seconds? 10? Ridiculous. Driver should have gotten all requested funds.

I had a girl vomit in a taxi once. It was a relatively long ride and she passed out immediately. Upon pulling into the hotel dumpoff, she vomited. Couldn't have waited 5 more seconds. I ended up carrying her passed out ass through the lobby up to my room. Very classy. I ended up giving the driver an extra 500 baht for cleanup. I hope he was ok with that.

Archived