collect calls

exit2dos

do not think you can call a cell phone collect.

I believe it must be a land line at the recieving end.

I meant to say I want to call my credit card company, in USA, collect, on the number they have on the back of the card, which says "call collect at 914 555 5555." But, I have a cell phone, here, to make that call and wonder if it could be done somehow.

The last time I just called the 800 number, from a phone shop.

I may be able to use the phone that comes with my apartment, that goes thru the management office. I'll ask on Monday.

I guess if you were staying in a high rent hotel you could make a collect call, but they would probably charge a fee, anyway.

Calling the 800 # from my cell phone is probably not a big expense, as long as I'm not put on hold for an hour.

Try making the collect call on Skype. I called my bank's 800 number on skype when I was there and it worked perfectly. No charge for the call at all so you may save money on a phone shop phone or your mobile. I just paid the 10 baht min charge for the computer.

I've never used Skype, but I've been in internet shops where other customers do. It's a good suggestion.

On the other hand, 10 Baht a minute is about the same price the phone shops charge. They're probably using Skype, themselves.

I've called US from my mobile and it didn't seem too expensive anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not much more than the aforementioned methods.

Someone should enlighten the banks that making a collect call, from overseas, is not doable. They may as well remove it from the back of the card.

I wasn't clear but when I said 10 baht min...I meant the minimum charge of 10 baht. Once you go into a shop, most charge a minimum of 10 baht no matter if you use 1 minute or 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, then it's 1 baht per minute if you get the right shop in Bangkok.

And yes....for those of you that live upcountry, I know it's like 20 baht per hour, that's why I said "in Bangkok"

This does not answer your question about collect calls, but for any international calls I just use a True SIM card I keep specifically for that purpose. To most Western countries, dial 00600 as the prefix followed by country code, area code etc and the cost is 1.07 baht a minute. The quality is fine!

00600 is using True Move VOIP service and it has come on leaps and bounds the past couple of years.

I don't know about US but Skype works for UK toll free numbers (including the farkin taxman)

Whilst I am over here in Europe the wife and I are calling and messaging each other on Skype most days, unlimited 3G with True Move in Bangkok and probably 5 cents for 20 mins my end. I installed Skype on both of our phones so to all intents and purposes it's just like a mobile to mobile call is one is not tied to a computer.

Archived