Photo Opporchancities

The_Munchmaster

I’ll be in Bangkok for a couple of weeks starting this coming weekend and I’m hoping to get out and about during the day with my camera to take some photos. This is partly because I enjoy taking photographs and partly as a way of trying to keep me out of the bars every afternoon! :drunk:

I have photographed the usual attractions (Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun, floating market, etc) in the past so I’m looking for any suggestions as to any other good Bangkok photo opportunities.

I’ll certainly visit the river and do some general wandering around (at least as much as the heat and my fitness will allow) but has anyone got any specific recommendations of places that are worth a visit and which might present a good photo opportunity?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever been to the Ancient City? How about Yannawa (Chinatown)? Lots to see. Hua Lampong train station? You could get some nice photos there. Maybe a Thonburi klong tour. Lazy Phil hired a boat just below Pra Pinklao Bridge for 1,000 baht for a long trip around the west side of Bangkok - a good size boat, not a little long tail. Or some daytime photos of Nana and Cowboy to contrast with the same scenes photographed after dark!

Prapradaeng is just below Bangkok on the southwest side. Lots of old seldom photographed temples and the city still has pedal samlors. Take a samlor ride around and shoot photos from it. Something the average tourist doesn't see these days.

The one Phil choose began right under Pin Klao Bridge next to the Bangkok Tourism Office. There is a big sign board telling you which trips are available and how much. I was surprised at how long the trip was - at least an hour. It crossed the Chao Phaya and then headed down the big klong north of the Thonburi train station. It left the klongs and came out onto the Chao Phaya almost opposite the Grand Palace. I thought it was quite good for the 1,000 baht price. That is for the boat - pile as many people as you want into it. This was just the ordinary tour. Others went farther and longer - still reasonably priced. I saw parts of Bangkok I had never seen before - old wooden houses on the very edge of the city. The postman was delivery mail to some houses by boat as we passed by.

I’ll be in Bangkok for a couple of weeks starting this coming weekend and I’m hoping to get out and about during the day with my camera to take some photos. This is partly because I enjoy taking photographs and partly as a way of trying to keep me out of the bars every afternoon! :drunk:

I have photographed the usual attractions (Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun, floating market, etc) in the past so I’m looking for any suggestions as to any other good Bangkok photo opportunities.

I’ll certainly visit the river and do some general wandering around (at least as much as the heat and my fitness will allow) but has anyone got any specific recommendations of places that are worth a visit and which might present a good photo opportunity?

Try a Muay Thai camp, the Baan Bhat village (where they make those monk bowls), or the fishing Village I went to with Nervous God and others (ask him for name and directions)...

Chinatown is good as is the river. I particularly like the rose garden and the fresh market in that area - heaps of opportunities to photograph Thai going about their every day lives as well as a chance to capture all the pussy down there. If you're a feline fan, the place is over run with pussy!

Archived