Movie "The Hangover 2" Set in Bangkok

MooNoi

4. If TaT or anyone else thought this might promote tourism to Thailand, I am fucked if I can see how - the resort was beautiful, but every part of the movie showed a dirty, 3rd world shithole. Some might say 'Hey, that IS Bangkok !', but it was pretty one-dimensional for mine. As for the Thai people, see point 5.

Just two days ago 17 year old girl asked where the sets of Hangover 2 are located in BKK, because she would love to go there. I avoided talking about the bars. xmasbiggrin.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< 3. I can live with creative license, but taking a speedboat right down the Gulf of Thailand from BKK to Krabi boggles my tiny mind. I guess if you can believe the Alan character could drive a speedboat, anything is possible. >>

Huh? Krabi is on the west side of Thailand. He'd have had to drive that speedboat all the way around Singapore. :p

Those karst islands looked pretty distinctive to me - if it wasnt Krabi, where was it ?

Just two days ago 17 year old girl asked where the sets of Hangover 2 are located in BKK, because she would love to go there. I avoided talking about the bars. xmasbiggrin.gif

1. What, precisely, were you doing with a 17-year old girl, kamui ?

2. I expect that she was talking about the ocean scenes around the resort, not the scenes depicting BKK. If it was the latter, I suspect that she already knows all about 'the bars', and probably strips in a local bar 3 nights a week ....

Watched it on the flight. Got a couple chuckles, no strong feelings about it one way or the other. Whatever.

The only annoying thing is -- if you bring up Thailand in conversation, now there's the inevitable comparison to 'hangover 2.' And co-workers, my first few days back... that was the first thing they said: 'was it like hangover 2 dude?'

sigh.

Tell them it was like "The King and I" and start singing those silly songs. That should shut them up

@Gobble -

<< Those karst islands looked pretty distinctive to me - if it wasnt Krabi, where was it ? >>

Most likely it was. Ever see "The Man with the Golden Gun"? James Bond drives north out of the city of Bangkok and almost immediately is surrounded by mountains. Then there is the bizarre "Surf Ninjas Must Die", with Leslie Neilsen as the villain, where the good guys paddle their surfboards ashore at Phangnga, climb up the cliff ... and are at Wat Doi Suthep near Chiang Mai. :p

by the way, what does this "hangover" movie have to do with arts and culture?

Damn it, he's onto us !

On a more serious note, I'd be interested to hear what the Thai media made of this portrayal of their country. Hollywood has a long history of taking 'creative license' with various locations (using Sri Lanka for movies set in Thailand, and Thailand for movies set in Vietnam ..), but there wasnt much here to entice newbies to get on a plane with the exception of the aforementioned sea views. The vast majority of the movie was set in the 'worst nightmare' parts of Bangkok, and the producers saw fit to populate the film with the worst caricatures of Thai people imaginable. If they could have gotten away with 'Me love you long time' and 'Sucky-sucky fucky-fucky Mister !', I have little doubt that they would have thrown that in.

Sure, its fiction, and a comedy to boot, but it just made me angry. I believe that Hollywood could film a very effective 'Bourne Identity'-style thriller in Bangkok and really capitalise on the city's unique features, but I guess that puts it in direct competition with city skylines like Hong Kong. C'est La Vie.

Archived