$AU

bust

That's Thai logic. Ever seen all of the tailor shops in a row? The opticians shops filling a block? If there are 10 beer bars in an area, it must mean it is a good place to open another.

Actually Chinese style -- look at old HKG or many cities in China now. But I still don't get it either.

EDIT: bars/entertainment places I can see the logic, but not 99% of other commodities...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right ... the Chinese are the vast majority of the shop owners in Thailand. I've read that there were near riots in the 1920s and early '30 because upcountry Thais would come to their capital and couldn't read any of the shop signs. The government finally passed a law that all signs had to be in Thai. They could be bilingual, but Thai had to be included.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/201602/aussie-hits-parity-with-us-dollar

Aussie hits parity with US dollar

* Published: 15/10/2010 at 08:58 PM

* Online news: Economics

The Australian dollar hit parity with the US dollar on Friday, after Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke said the central bank was ready to support recovery "if needed".

In afternoon London deals, the Aussie soared as high as 1.0003 dollars, hitting its highest level since being floated in December 1983. Moments later it pulled back to stand at 99.50 US cents.

Bernanke, speaking in Boston on Friday, gave his strongest hint to date that the US central bank will step in to help the country's fledgling economic recovery with more extraordinary measures to prime the economy.

Ahead of next month's meeting of the Fed's policy-setting panel, Bernanke set out the case for action, adding the bank was "prepared to provide additional accommodation if needed to support the economic recovery and to return inflation over time to levels consistent with our mandate."

The Australian dollar has risen in anticipation of higher interest rates, while the greenback is slumping as the Fed appears set to expand its monetary easing moves, which devalue the currency by putting more of it in circulation.

"The move through parity was clearly triggered by further weakness in the dollar," said Rabobank currency strategist Jane Foley.

"That said, Bernanke's words highlight the divergence in policy between the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) and the US Federal Reserve.

"The RBA's hawkish October policy statement suggests that a rate hike is likely on November 2, just a day ahead of the FOMC.

"Faced with Australia's strong fundamental picture, the question for AUD/USD is not whether it can sustain parity but how far can its gains extend."

Unlike other advanced countries, Australia survived the financial crisis in rude economic health, with annual growth of 3.3 percent and unemployment at 5.1 percent, thanks largely to strong resources shipments to Asian giant China.

Minutes from last month's Fed policy meeting had showed on Tuesday that the bank anticipates extra stimulus may be needed soon to prop up a slowing recovery.

That sparked speculation that next month the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) could implement a second round of quantitative easing, known as QE2.

Analysts say Australia is not actively involved in the so-called "currency wars" between major economies like the United States, European Union, Japan and China, which are striving to keep their currencies weak to boost exports.

If I had any real money, and they let me do it, I would buy as many 7-11/Family Marts as I could in Bangkok - I cant think of another business which is likely to have as many customers at 6am as they do at midnight.

I dont know whether these businesses are the targets of armed holdups etc the way they are in the West, but it looks a lot easier than anything where you have to rely on a steady stream of Farang punters for your income - many of us have gone without sex for months, but how many go without the daily dose of goodies from a corner store ? Surely its a license to print money ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived