unique, off beaten path beach destination

hawaiijohn

Actually live on Kauai which may have what I consider the most beautiful beach in the world - Hanalei Bay. But girlfriend wants to go to beach in Thailand area which , again, is off the beaten path and not loaded with tourists. Thus the request for people familiar with beach destinations in the Thai area.

Prachuap is a good choice with many options along the coast.

We have stayed several times in Bang Saphan, Thap Sakae and Baan Krood.

There is a very nice island with live corals offshore, Koh Thalu which can be visited on a day trip.

There is also accomadation available on this island.

The beaches stretch for miles and are totally uncrowded.

Nothing much goes on in this general area and it is best visited bringing your own wheels.

I spent my first month in Prachuab in my Peace Corps training in 1973. Talk about quiet! Wonder if they still have pedal samlors. The only excitement there happened on 8 and 9 Dec 1941, when the Nipponese gents landed at the bay and the RT Air Force unit fought them almost to the last man. They killed the Jap regiment's commander and maybe 150 men though. The second most excitement was when about 50 Farangs invaded the town to start our training. :D

The beach at Prchuab is great - low shallow slope and at low tide you can walk out to the fishing boats. It's just off the rail line from Bangkok.

Archived