Sam Jackson

Nervous God

I notice some of the Lister work on ply does buckle even in his smaller pieces. Problem becomes the balance between the surfaces and how they absorb temperature. Now he's doing walls in Brooklyn and getting paid for it.

Depends who does it, and how, the "art" of being an artist is actually being a craftsman first, then breaking the rules. Ray Cook who I taught, his prints look like they are tortured, and they are, but he's one of the few dark room technicians, after Carl Warner, who'll print my negs exactly as I want, cleanly as I want.

Know the rules, then break them

Picasso could draw a hand like a photo, in Thailand Wassan looks like a crazy man, but you've seen his portraits of my wife, you wouldn't have recognised who did them.

Craft first, art second.

• 2 weeks later...

Corrado Feroci (Silp Pirasri), founder of Silpakorn University (aka the Uni of Fine Arts), insisted that his art students master all styles and all periods of art. Only then were they allowed to develop their own styles and techniques. He said you couldn't be an artist unless you knew what art was all about.

Archived