Notstickmanbangkok

gsoutien

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Galt's latest article' date=' looks like he's settled in Cambodia at present...[/quote']

If so he'd better watch his back... lawsuits were not the common way to settle disputes in the wild west!

If you are referring to the USA Wild West, writs were very often used, gun fight duals were the rare thing ... Wyatt Earp used the writ, as did his protagonists ... similar, the Lincoln County Wars (Billy The Kid) it was writ, followed by counter writ, outlaws became a legal possee etc etc :beer:

Gun fights were common enough, but few folks ever got hurt. Bullets were too expensive to waste on practice and most men couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. That's why Bat Masterson carried a cane. The tie-down fast draw holster is pretty much a Hollywood invention too. An ordinary cowboy had his pistol shoved deely into a full leather holter so it wouldn't fall out while he was riding. Blame Owen Wister (a New Yorker) for popularising the gunfight in his 1902 novel "The Virginian." In that tale the villain, Trampas, faces down the hero, the Viginian, in a man to man gunfight with pistols. All the time Trampas is thinking ... why didn't I just ambush him with a rifle? Ambushes were the sensible and standard way to eliminate an opponent.

There were some noted gunfighters - e.g. Clay Allison. But the Shane-type sinister gunmen dressed in black is fiction. ("Shane" was written by another easterner who had not even been oiut west yet!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Allison

Mr. Galt saying : Indicative of my site name change, [color:red]I will be more focused on the greater region of Asia[/color] and bringing you accounts of other places that are not always Thailand based

Like George Madoff after receiveing 150 years : I will in future strictly be more focused on my immediate neighbours rather than acting on a world wide scale.

Archived