Notstickmanbangkok

gsoutien

"The guy makes himself sound like a Hollywood veteran producer, made movies for HBO etc. Yet IMDB lists only one single film to his credit (as one of the screenwriters). "

I'll never understand why people bother to embellish their persona/CV/reputation etc

At best, they get found out later and have to do a crawl down, at worst, you can see them coming a mile away.

Right, and the guy doesn't need to -- he's a published writer who's sold a few books, is locally famous. Jake Needham it was. There was also another months back that was similar, don't remember who.

I don't get why Stick is so enamored with these writers with the embarrasingly large egos (Garth Marenghi types, if anyone's seen that show). Interviews he does with them are painful to read, just one line of BS or strangeness after another, and Stick never calls them on any of it, just lets it go up on the site as is without acknowledging it in any way. Find that hard to respect. For someone with a blog like that, integrity is important, respect for your readers. He's too in awe of these guys to do a responsible job interviewing them.

He does a decent job interviewing bar owners, or girls in the trade -- one of the best was his talk with some ladyboys. But anytime it's writers, it's like being trapped by some guy who just wants to talk about himself, anyone who's spent time in SE Asia knows the feeling, and most of it you just know is made up. And then the reactionary world-views. Just painful.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bangkoknoir.info/

Anyone read this book yet ? I don't like the cover photo - nothing of interest for me in that photo.

In this first ever noir anthology of Bangkok, twelve seasoned and internationally known—Thai and Western—writers have come together to make a powerful collection of crime fiction short stories that portray the dark side of this Asian metropolis where the lives of most citizens seem as far away from heaven as its Thai name Krungthep is distant from its meaning—City of Angels.

Any of the writers on this board?

This is a warning shot fired across the bow. At who I don't know but Galt always seems to come out with a mysterious announcement while behind the scenes negotiations go on. That was how it was in the past with everything he published.

First an announcement that he has new info but is not sure that he will post it. Then he and holt/stickman/whoever go back and forth on email 'behind the scenes'. Then he posts it.

It's my guess that he got his hands on a spicy video of one of his arch enemies and this is how he likes to toy with them before posting.

His web building skills lead me to believe he cannot come close to editing a quality beginning to end video...this is an announcement that he has some video to show off and he is baiting and taunting the person in the video.

This is a warning shot fired across the bow.

A warning shot? Come on, it's just hot air since a long time. Don't forget, he isn't in LOS anymore and as I understand I won't be able to return for the time being.

A warning shot? Come on, it's just hot air since a long time. Don't forget, he isn't in LOS anymore and as I understand I won't be able to return for the time being.

Wait....as you understand YOU won't be able to return? Are YOU GALT or was that a typo? :surprised:

I would say that a couple of his 'observations' were more than hot air and caused several people, myself included, to change the way I interact online on the topic of theLOS. I would even go as far to say he changed the way some people behave offline, in real life, in and around the LOS.

I would say that a couple of his 'observations' were more than hot air and caused several people, myself included, to change the way I interact online on the topic of theLOS. I would even go as far to say he changed the way some people behave offline, in real life, in and around the LOS.

All the expat political shit I know nothing about (other than factions here get interesting at times). And I think people could come up with legitimate criticisms of stickman that I would respect, like Wendella's comments above on promoting a quasi-charlatan without questioning his credentials or claims.

And the website is awful. Pure, horrific, awful. I used to NOT read stickman on that principle alone. I fucking absolutely detest his homepage. Not kidding. At all. That said, I've come to really like reading his commentary. Never met the guy but I definitely DO respect the body of work he's created.

On the flip side of that, have also dug up some old Galt stuff to give him the benefit of the doubt and was left with one conclusion only: "Please dear god, don't EVER let me become like that. Castrate my sorry ass first. Anything but that."

5283686506_396f5afc39.jpg

Archived