Smelly Farangs: Now a "Movement"?

preahko

From the Sunday NYT today:

"A DAILY shower is a deeply ingrained American habit. Most people would no sooner disclose they had not showered in days than admit infidelity. But Jenefer Palmer, 55, of Malibu, Calif., cheerfully acknowledged recently that she doesn’t shower or shampoo daily and doesn’t use deodorant. Ever.

No, she does not work from home in pajamas. In fact, Ms. Palmer, the chief executive of Osea, an organic skin-care line, often travels to meet business contacts at the five-star luxury hotels where her line is sold. They might be surprised to read that Ms. Palmer, a petite, put-together brunette, showers “no more than three times a week,†she said, and less if she hasn’t been “working out vigorously.â€Â

She contends that a soapy washcloth under her arms, between her legs and under her feet is all she needs to get “really clean.†On the go, underarm odor is wiped away with a sliced lemon.

Defying a culture of clean that has prevailed at least since the 1940s, a contingent of renegades deliberately forgoes daily bathing and other gold standards of personal hygiene, like frequent shampooing and deodorant use."

Link

This is so disgusting to read. If there's one thing I can't adjust to after moving back to the West from Thailand (and in fact there are many things!), it's the horrible hygiene of many farangs compared to most Thais.

Granted, it's worse for me because I work at a major university (students are the worst), but still...the smells I'm confronted with coming from peoples' bodies on a daily basis are just astounding. Especially knowing how possible it is to avoid such smells, even in a crowded city of 10 million (Bangkok). god, I miss Thai hygiene.

Pretty typical Malibu , if you ask me. I don't agree with rich people refusing to bathe, but I'm not a big fan of deodorant either. It's all about diet. I've got vodka emanating from my pores, which I happen to think is a pretty sweet smell. Not that I've never been called a smelly farang by a Thai lady. OK, now I get it. :doah:

She contends that a soapy washcloth under her arms, between her legs and under her feet is all she needs to get “really clean.â€Â

It reminds me of a German BG a few yrs back who washed like that. She smelled good. :hug:

Not that I would know, but Asian lady masseuses bathed that way in Southern California a while back. Something like a dog's water bowl they bathed out of. I'm sure they WANTED to be clean, it was more a work rules related issue in order to service the next customer as quickly as possible. Non union operations. :cover:

The stench of Bangkok overpowers other odors. :neener:

Well, that's the conundrum, ey? In Thailand, the environment makes you retch; in the West, it's the people, while the environment is relatively clean. Believe me, I'll take the environment making me retch, any motherfucking day.

Because when I get a girl alone with me in my room, goddamn, I do not want her to stink like yesterday's Indian food or this afternoon's locker room. Which is the main reason I don't even LOOK at women in farang-land, haha.

I've met very few Thais who weren't so clean that I would hesitate to eat off them. And, um, I've put my money where my mouth is (as it were), time and again, hahaha...

I've met very few Thais who weren't so clean that I would hesitate to eat off them. And, um, I've put my money where my mouth is (as it were), time and again, hahaha...

You clearly led a very sheltered life in Thailand. Most Thais are not like the bar girls or middle class luvvies that most of us spend time with. For most of them a bucket of cold water over the head is their daily shower.

Yeah, yeah...I didn't say ALL Thais.

Tell you what, you come live where I'm living, and I'll go back and live in LOS (sigh)...I promise I'll never complain about anyone's smells, haha! Except for some of those farangs and Arabs on the Skytrain, yeeeeesh!

Archived