Kempinski, good location?

radioman

Heading to Jakarta next week with a buddy and 2 TG's, both well travelled. We have rooms at the Kempinski but having never stayed there and as essentially Jakarta newbies not sure how near or far we are likely to be from anything. Looking for bars/pubs with a little life. Not opposed to places full of Indo freelancers as the girls with us are not uncomfortable in that situation and indeed like to check out the talent too! So lively (safe) places are of interest. I remember the HRC years back was quite okay. Similar places today?

Are we talking about the Hotel Indonesia Kempinski? Stayed there many times, unfortunately that was back in the 80s and 90s. :( Great central location, though. Stumbling distance from the HRC and Jaya Pub (which was a great expat hangout back then, but still there, minus its famous singer, Felix...RIP). There's a large shopping mall right across the street from the hotel. Short taxi to some of the popular discos of that time.

Problem is, I haven't been to Jakarta in nearly 15 years and I'm told I wouldn't recognize the city anymore, so I don't know where the popular night spots or shopping spots are these days. Still, the HI is very central...the city couldn't have changes THAT much, or else Kempinski wouldn't have invested in the renovation of the property.

Archived