Shoplifting in Thailand

khunsanuk

Hi,

The news on TV just ran a story on shoplifting in Thailand. Apparently Thailand ranks 7th in the world (India being 1st) and each year goods worth about 30 billion (yes, that's a 'b') Baht are stolen from shops.

Surprisingly it was mostly clothing and cosmetics that were stolen. I had expected more small stuff from shops like 7-11, Family Mart, etc.

Guess the cosmetics makes sense though, expensive and small.

Still the figure amazed me, it is roughly 82 million Baht a day! Even if the average item stolen is 1,000 Baht, that still means 82,000 items stolen each day.

Sanuk!

After years of shopping at the likes of Foodland, Tops, and Villa markets here, I know to go straight to the cashier's counter to buy two categories of things: small appliance batteries, and razors and razor blades. Evidently, these must be high on the pilferage list - because they watch over them like the crown jewels.

At Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5, razor blades are actually LOCKED UP in display case over near the bread section. What sort of "shrinkage" loss rate would it take to get a store manager to invest in a lockable cabinet, and be willing to require razor blade purchases to involve a 'safe deposit box' routine for the store staff?

Look at a 7 Eleven some time. Razor blades are behind the counter and you have to ask for them. Must be a reason for it. Also, I noticed Tops groceries last year started restricting entrance to one lane and assigning guards to watch certain areas. I suspect the shoplifting problem has become much worse since the economic downturn.

Razor blades and batteries (small and expensice as KS says) have always been the number 1 thing stolen from supermarkets down here. When I was a snotty nosed apprentice back in the early 90's they were all locked up at the counter in the supermarkets I worked in. The batteries even had a store stamp on them to try to deter theives. Now the range of batteries is that big that they put them back on the shelves, stamped.

Go to any market or trash 'n' treasure type place in the suburbs of melbourne and there are plenty of batteries (even stamped on the back of them the supermarket's name) and razors for sale from dodgy looking peddlars..

Archived