I Couldn't Handle Living Here...

expat

I'm with the can't handle Pattaya crowd...it does my head in.

And DS...barely a beach, and one that has most of Pattaya's garbage on it. Plus the sea is a slightly unsettling colour for the tropics.

Not sure when or if I'll go back to Pattaya again. I'd be reasonably happy never going back there again!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to use Pattaya like you use Soi Nana.

Soi Nana is good because of WS, Soi Cowboy, Soi 33, NNB, and all the other great things that are not in Soi 4.

Pattaya is great because of Jomtiem, and all the other great things that are not in Walking street.

I couldn't handle living there. But until I fail in the pursuit of the dream, I'd like to give it a try, several times at least.

I'd also like to do Bangkok on 20k a day, for months if necessary.

Coss

20 years ago Pattaya was the place for me. I lived there for 8 years but life moves on.

I got bored with the nightlife scene in 1999 and novel to BKK and recently up to the Northern Suburbs of BKK, I prefer my comfortable home and my dogs nowadays but that's just me

I was never a fan of Pattaya. The beach is not nice, it tends to be to hot there. The saturated bar routine seems to never end. However, it is cheaper and I guess you get more bang to your bucks :beer:

I am a westie, I tend to stay out near where I stay when I visit, but I do venture into Tilac on occasions.

Looking back on my post, I have no idea what I was on about in the second part, i.e. Bkk is for rich people. Remember kids, don't post when drunk.

All I was originally trying to say was I can't understand why guys who love to monger say they couldn't live here, a great mongering spot. The way they claim they wouldn't be able to control themselves doesn't make sense to me.

As to the Bkk vs. Pattaya thing, I also find that confusing. I love both places for different reasons. I had a great time the years I lived in The Big Mango, and still enjoy visiting. However, when I moved down here (for work) I felt a great weight was lifted off my shoulders--the way I would always have to think about traffic when I wanted to do anything. I don't think I will live there again.

Having said that, I really love the food in Bangkok. It seems every corner has some hawker or restaurant with great food. It beats Pattaya hands down for food (though Pattaya has a lot of great food). It is also a real city, in the New York, London, Paris sense. It's incredibly vibrant--so much life everywhere, so much to do, so many things going on.

Pattaya has some great things about it too. The many different expat communities mean lots of fairly good food. German, English, French, Italian, etc. Outside of the city, and Dumsoda mentions, you can find great Thai food at very reasonable prices if you know where to look. It is nowhere near as exciting as Bangkok if you like going to plays or concerts or exhibitions or museums, etc. There is nowhere in Pattaya like Siam Square, where you can literally fall in love hundreds of times an hour just walking around.

Each place has it's charm, I like both of them.

I was born and raised in San Francisco. I hated Los Angeles all my youth because that was what San Franciscans do--hate LA. After I spent some time in LA, I grew to really like it and enjoy it. I feel the way many people react to Pattaya is like that--not based on experience, but more of a reaction to the idea of the place.

Yet another meandering rant, and this time I'm not even drunk!

Archived