Pet Peeves in LOS

Dumsoda

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one that immediately came to mind:

The way Thais (and it seems to have spread to many farangs here in Thailand) block paths (escalators, sidewalks, etc.) and have no regard for those behind them who wish to pass.

The way they look so shocked when I say "Kawtoat" and squeeze by, as if there would be no reason in the world I would want to go any faster than the molasses-flow speed of the escalator or their quarter-kilometer per hour gait.

I hereby declare that I will never be jai dee about this situation, and if I ever end up in jail it will be because I steamrolled some lady holding her baby and making herself wide enough to block a three-yard wide path.

My "she who must be obeyed' is the same. Whether she needs to find something in the supermarket or ask for directions. She is always affronted if I suggest she ask someone else. I also get pissed off with the Thais total lack of peripheral vision. Whether they're wandering down the street or strolling along the aisles in the supermarket they have no awareness or concern that someone is trying to get past them.

Another thing I find annoying is their desire to push in regardless of how many people are waiting in the queue.

Piggy's Top 20 Thai Frustrations:

(Mainly garnered from when I lived in the place it has to be said. Also, I do still love it despite, maybe because of, some of these things driving me crazy) :)

1. Thais who get to the bottom or top of an escalator and just stand there looking around not realising someone behind them (me) is about to crash into them.

2. Thais talking together about you in Thai assuming that you are not going to understand them.

3. The lack of an international perspective of the world in most Thais. (Having said that, most Thais probably don't need it, but I do find it frustrating).

4. Being made to feel like an idiot when you complain about being given a wrong order in a restaurant, and then getting REALLY mad when they do bring the correct order, but you get the bill and they've charged you for BOTH the wrong order and the right one!!

5. Farangs who THINK they can speak Thai and then when they're in the 7-11 buying cigarettes need to give a life story to the cashier which is 90% incorrect anyway - just so people around them "know" they "speak good Thai!"

5a. Farangs who THINK (and can) speak Thai but do it with their native western US / English / Aussie / Euro accent.

6. Taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter even though you speak Thai and it's obvious you know what you're doing in this country. (Doesn't happen often to be honest, but when it does really annoying! If you use the meter and take me via the quickest way I will give you a tip!)

7. Crazy drivers cokeing off their heads on intra-country buses.

8. Trying to get your head around a girl's logic who thinks LOVE = $$$$$$ and BF/HUSBAND = ATM for family.

9. Girls who only go short time in order to get back to their tight-arse, gambling addicted cockroach of a Thai boyfriend in a one-room non-airconditoned shack when they could spend the night with a nice friednly farang in a nice air conditioned hotel room.

10. Farangs who think that Suk Soi 4, Soi Cowboy, Patpong and Pattaya are "the real Thailand".

10a Farangs who think that any Thai girl is up for sex and will instantly go to their hotel with them for sex with a bit of flirting and waving a few baht around.

11. Bars and bar girls who put prices UP in low/quiet season in order to generate more business.

11a. The disparity between the price of a beer/drink/bar fine/ST/LT cost compared to reality and the average monthly wage in Thailand.

12. Suwannabhumi Airport

13. Touts at the Grand Palace / Wat Po who rip off tourists and give the country a bad name.

14. Fads. Such as a couple of years ago when almost EVERY member of the lower eschilons of society (and a few middle class and upper too) wore Jatukarm Ramathep's - the big, circular Buddha amulet. They were supposed to bring good luck and good fortune. I remember a taxi driver telling me this one day and swearing it was true. I asked him how much his cost and he replied "2000 baht". I wanted to ask him why, if it worked, he was still driving a taxi but I was too polite.

15. The Red Shirt / Thaksin Shinawatra and his family. (No need to elaborate!)

16. Thai doctors who create super-bugs by handing out a bag-full of pills whenever ANYONE goes to see them with ANY ailment. If you are Thai and you don't leave the doctor with a big bag of tablets that resemble a packet of M&M's then it's "not good value".

17. The apparent indifference of a lot of Thais to learn English. And when they do, the English they learn is often crap. (To be honest, a lot of this is due to the teachers, not the students).

17a. The reasoning that reading to further your knowledge is a complete waste of time unless its a gossip magazine or a comic book.

18. That you can watch a Thai soap opera on tee-wee and its perfectly ok to show a man hitting a woman but you can't show a couple kissing.

19. Songkran.

20. The lack of seeing "the big picture".

Actually, I feel a lot better getting that off my chest. :grinyes:

Good thread, DS! :thumbup:

Comments -

#1. Add to that the Thais who try to charge into a lift/elevator the instant the door opens, not allowing those inside to get out even though it's already packed full.

#5. I had a friend from Dallas, Texas. His accent made his Thai sound so bizarre that the BGs would beg him to speak English to them.

#10a. A douchebag archan lost his job at my university because he couldn't tell the difference between BGs and uni students! (And he openly said as much.) He did things in speaking class like ask the girls to tell him their favourite sex position, if and when they'd lost their virginity, if they gave BJs etc. The students complained to the dean and the idiot was gone in no time. (In the west he'd have been thrown in the slammer!)

#14. Nowadays you can't give away a Jatukam Ramathep amulet. There never even was any such "god" in SE Asian mythology. The thing was a scam from day one, yet some amulets were going for as much as 20,000 baht.

#17. The Thai Ministry of Education decided that all students should study English from nursery school to 12th grade. It's a shame they didn't first see if they had enough English teacher, since as it is the English teacher probably majored in Mathematics or History. It's hard to teach a language you can't speak yourself.

#18. It is moderately better than 30 years ago, when the only way a director could get a nude scene into a film was to have the woman gang raped. :doah:

#19. Once upon a time Songkran was a pleasant and fun holiday. The Thais in recent years have even managed to eff up Loy Krathong.

Actually, I feel a lot better getting that off my chest. :grinyes:

Good thread, DS! :thumbup:

Cheers Piggy....

It's unreal how many "issues" that have been raised have made me sit back and say.....YESSSSSSSSS...that's right...

It ain't Kansas Dorothy.... we ALL know that...

But....it is what it is.... and people who make Cop out excuses....like TIT....you just have to accept it... etc. etc.... are just sticking their head in the sand........If we don't address issues.... it will never get any better....IMHO

Cheers DS

Definatley the escalator one, the number of times I have nearly sent some numbnuts flying arse over tit down an escalator because they stop walking and I don't.

Another is racism, the number of times my wife has booked "Special Offers" only to be told when we get their and they se me "Special Offer Not Apply to Farang"

Archived