Thai Curse words! Post your favs!

TheCorinthian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I assume you mean 'yet phet', 'yip bhet' would be closer to 18 :)

As for curse words, I don't really curse in Thai much (Dutch is so much nicer for it :) ), but if I do I use 'cii paai' (damn) or 'ai hia'. Also 'meang', no idea what that translates to though :)

Might be similar to damn as well.

Sanuk!

I just like to use "arai wa" ..... which pretty much is said the same way we'd say "what the fuck?"

Of course, not nice to use swear words in front of a Thai you're not VERY familiar with and could also result in a nasty situation.

I have heard about farang being beaten up for using "ai hia" to a dishonest taxi driver. It's about the worst thing you could call someone in Thai.

I personally do not see any reason to use bad language. It was frowned upon by my parents and we were taught from a very young age that it is not a nice thing to do.

By all means know, and perhaps understand what they mean, but it is not a good thing to use, whether you're the perpetrator or the recipient. It's not nice either way and can only provoke a perhaps already bad situation... :twocents:

No input from me on this. :closemouth:

I just like to use "arai wa" ..... which pretty much is said the same way we'd say "what the fuck?"

Now that gets me a slap off the wife she hates it when I say that, same as when a Thai pisses me off and I respond "Yet Mae" Mrs M goes ballistic at me so of course I continue to do it.

Archived