Trink's "codes"

Wallenda

I only got to see Trink's old Night Owl column in the Bangkok Post a few times, and only afterward (after it had disappeared) learned that he would write about certain aspects of Bangkok Nightlife in code in order to bypass censors.

Does anyone remember examples of his code phrases and what they really meant?

Also does anyone know what he's up to at this point? Last I heard he had some pay-only website where he continued to write his columns.

THanks

Often he used the word "satisfied" or "happy" to refer to ejaculation. The censors never caught that.

I think it is so sad how things worked out for him with the BKK Post and hope something happens that brings him a financial windfall.

Your post prompted me to check wikipedia and here he is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Trink

If his website was still active it would probably be linked.

He was great in the '70s and had a whole system to describe what he and the MP gal had done it the tub. He even recommended certain MP girls. Trink always prided himself on refusing free drinks and such from the bar owners, saying he wouldn't be bought. Then he turned right around and accepted free massages every week from "Ladda the Queen of Patpong"! It's called integrity. ;)

The Post shot him down in a big hurry when it took over in th '80s, telling him ... "Bernie, we're running a family newspaper here, dammit. Knock it off."

I can't really remember his code, but it was easy enough to figure out.

Trink was and remains computer illiterate. Somebody tried to put him on line, but Trink wouldn't cooperate. I urged him several times to write his recollections but he's too lazy. He had a file cabinet for of bar photos that were too raunchy to print. When his column was in the Bangkok World, he had a free rein. Every week there would be one "naughty" photo - a BG with a boob popping out or a dancer with her beaver showing. First thing you did when you got the World was check the pics to find the naughty one!

p.s. Guess who did the Wikipedia entry. :)

Time

Saturday, Dec. 20, 2003

RETIRED. BERNARD TRINK, 72, revered and reviled newspaperman whose "Night Owl" column extolled for nearly four decades the sybaritic pleasures available to expatriate men in Thailand's capital; in Bangkok. The Brooklyn-born Trink covered the city's go-go bars, massage parlors and pubs, making the rounds with his Thai wife in tow, owl medallion around his neck and maroon polyester pants hitched up to his chest. He wrote in a retro style in which prostitutes were "demimondaines," and press releases were preceded by the phrase, "The tom toms have it ..." His signature sign-off was, "But I don't give a hoot." The column was one of the most popular on the Bangkok Post's website - on average, 30,000 readers logged on to digest it every week - but the Post has decided to drop it. Said editor Veera Prateepchaikul: "Do you want something that's modern, or something from 30-40 years ago?"

p.s. There is some justice in the world. Veera himself got removed as editor under pressure from Thaksin Shinawatra. His offence? He allowed reports by international observor about the cracks and flaws in the runways at Swampypoom to be be published in the Post! :shocked:

Archived