Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Tragic events regarding the shooting in Arizona. If there is anytihng good can at least come out of it, I hope its it reduces the harsh rhetoric from both sides.

I'm no fan of Sarah Palin. However, I don't think her Facebook page can be blamed and neither can the Republcan party. I've been no big fan of the party for some time now so this is not coming from a member of the party.

Nutcases like this guy, are going to do things like that for whatever demented reasons their minds can come up with. You can't blame a political party for motivating him anymore than you can someone who shoots someone because they played a rock record backwards.

As angry as some of us have been about what politicians or a party does, we are not going to consciously pick up a gun, leave our homes with the intent of shooting someone. The actual physical process of going through all that can only be done from a truly disturbed mind.

Therefore I'm leaving Palin blameless as well as the sometimes over the top comments from Republicans.

Bizarre ... she's a moderate Blue Dog Dem, pro gun ownership rights. The judge who was killed is a moderate conservative appointed by Papa Bush.

Conflicting reports on whether she has died or not.

At least bystanders jumped on the gunman and took him down. I can imagine folks in some cities simply looking on and screaming.

http://giffords.house.gov/

<< The suspect Loughner was described by a former classmate as a pot-smoking loner, and the Army said he tried to enlist in December 2008 but was rejected for reasons not disclosed.

Federal law enforcement officials were poring over versions of a MySpace page that included a mysterious "Goodbye friends" message published hours before the shooting and exhorted his friends to "Please don't be mad at me."

In one of several YouTube videos, which featured text against a dark background, Loughner described inventing a new U.S. currency and complained about the illiteracy rate among people living in Giffords' congressional district in Arizona.

"I know who's listening: Government Officials, and the People," Loughner wrote. "Nearly all the people, who don't know this accurate information of a new currency, aren't aware of mind control and brainwash methods. If I have my civil rights, then this message wouldn't have happen (sic)." >>

Link

Tragic events regarding the shooting in Arizona. If there is anytihng good can at least come out of it, I hope its it reduces the harsh rhetoric from both sides.

I'm no fan of Sarah Palin. However, I don't think her Facebook page can be blamed and neither can the Republcan party. I've been no big fan of the party for some time now so this is not coming from a member of the party.

Nutcases like this guy, are going to do things like that for whatever demented reasons their minds can come up with. You can't blame a political party for motivating him anymore than you can someone who shoots someone because they played a rock record backwards.

As angry as some of us have been about what politicians or a party does, we are not going to consciously pick up a gun, leave our homes with the intent of shooting someone. The actual physical process of going through all that can only be done from a truly disturbed mind.

Therefore I'm leaving Palin blameless as well as the sometimes over the top comments from Republicans.

You should be blaming them. A person who has mental problems and anti-government delusions who's been fed a steady diet of "Second Amendment solutions," maps with elected officials marked with cross-hair targets, TeaParty candidate election appearances advertised by asking people to come with loaded automatic rifles, and the entire Republican Party and their TeaBaggers running a very well-crafted anti-government campaign. Yes he's crazy, and those are the people soaking up the poison being vomited up by the Republicans, the tea baggers and conservatives.

Make no mistake, Limbaugh, Palin, et al, have gone over all this with their lawyers and they no exactly how close to the line they can get. So when something like this happens they can shrug and say, "Not my fault."

Anyone with a brain knows otherwise.

And sorry Choco, but “both sides†don't have a 24/7 hate television network and hate radio spreading lies and whipping up the fear and anger in their audience week after week. And there aren't any Democratic politicians out there doing what Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann and company have done with repeating eliminationist rhetoric at every opportunity. The right wingnuts own this completely.

Great summary LK. I would add that I doubt if the young shooter ever had a coherent political thought in his life. The Tea Party will probably say he was a Liberal and vice versa. His head is most likely full of garbage and bits and pieces he's picked up on the internet. (Check out the 'comments' on yahoo to see what passes for political discourse among the keyboard generation.) Plus girls probably laughed at him.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is alive and out of surgery

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Officials at University Medical Center have confirmed that U.S. Rep Gabrielle Giffords is alive. She is out of surgery. Doctors are optimistic about her chances of recovery.

The news is a dramatic reversal of previous reports circulated on some national news cable channels and local media claiming that Giffords had died.

Giffords was among 18 people shot at the Saturday morning at the Safeway grocery store at Ina and Oracle in Tucson. Six people died. One shooter is in custody.

Dr. Peter Rhee of University of Medical center told reporters at 2:00 PM Saturday morning that ten patients have been brought to the hospital. Of those, one is dead, five are in surgery and the rest are in recovery. The five in surgery are in critical condition.

Dr. Rhee said the deceased victim was a child, but did not release the victim's identity.

The mass shooting took place Saturday morning at an event hosted by Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villaseñor confirmed at the same press conference that one suspect is in custody. Local authorities have not released the suspect's identity. Associated Press identified him as 22 year old Jared Loughner. A KGUN9 News crew went to Loughner's home, and found it taped off and covered with law enforcement investigators.

Before earlier this morning President Obama released this statement:

"This morning, in an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were shot in Tuscon, Arizona, at a constituent meeting with Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely wounded. We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."

Here's a staement released by Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Napolitano:

"I am deeply saddened by reports that Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Chief Judge John Roll and others were attacked this afternoon in Tucson, Arizona. There is no place in our society or discourse for such senseless and unconscionable acts of violence. Gabby is a steadfast representative for southern Arizona and both she and John are dedicated public servants. The Department of Homeland Security has offered all possible assistance to the FBI and the Pima County Sheriff's Office, who are leading the investigation. My thoughts and prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her family and staff, and all those who were injured in this difficult time."

Link

Just a memo from FOX so don't quote me...

"strong suspicion is being direceted (sic) at American Renaissance, an organization that Loughner mentioned in some of his internet postings and federal law enforcement officials are investigating Loughner's possible links to the organization. The organization is a monthly publication that promotes a variety of white racial positions.

"The group's ideology is anti government, anti immigration, anti ZOG (Zionist Occupational Government), anti Semitic," according to the memo which goes on to point out that Congressman Giffords is the first Jewish female elected to high office in Arizona. A recent posting on American Renaissance's website on January 7 begins with an article entitled: "Exit poll: Whites are Different." The site goes on to list anti-immigration articles. Investigators are also pursuing Loughner's alleged anti-Semitism.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has taken command of the investigation."

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/01/09/dhs-memo-suggests-shooter-may-be-linked-racist-organization