Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Once again' date=' I reiterate: the US *needs* to enact laws like Oz, Canada or the UK, removing handguns from the general public. This would not have happened there.[/quote']

I think that will involve some kind of national lobotomy. :)

Sadly 100% correct. Most folks have never seen what a gun can do to people, up close and in reality not a video game. If they did, they'd get it...

Having grown up in a place where everyone had guns and no one was safe, a prime reason I prefer to never live in the USA again. I'd seriously do a Pattaya swan dive before moving back there! Those people are simply dangerously insane.

<< guy was expelled from Uni and turned down by the Army because they both thought him to be nuts, but he was still allowed to buy a gun legally in AZ. >>

The uni expelled him for disruptive behaviour (stoned out of his gourd). Now it appears the Army rejected him because he failed a drug test. He was allowed to purchase a pistol because the police checked showed no criminal record - nor anything to say he was loopie. That what police checks do.

Interesting that one Walmart refused to sell him ammunition because of his behaviour. Unfortunately another Walmart did. Which brings up an odd point ... who buys a pistol without buying ammunition at the same time?

p.s. Before you rant, make sure you know the facts. Doing otherwise makes you seem like a liberal. ;)

Links? New info to me, and I have been keeping up.

And I am very proud to be a progressive. Or a liberal, as you say. Without us, for example, children would still be working 70 hours a week and the US would look a lot like Thailand. Of course, in a few years we'll be back to that if the GOP has its way...

To think Arizona used to be my favourite State.

"The general unsightliness of the capitol makes it a fitting home for today’s Arizona legislature, which is composed almost entirely of dimwits, racists, and cranks. Collectively they have bankrupted the state through a combination of ideological fanaticism on the Republican right and acquiescence and timidity on the part of G.O.P. moderates and Democrats. Although dozens of states are facing budget crises, the situation in Arizona is arguably the nation’s worst, graver even than in California. A horrific budget deficit has been papered over with massive borrowing and accounting gimmickry, and the state may yet have to issue IOUs to employees and vendors. "

http://harpers.org/archive/2010/07/0083023

Once again' date=' I reiterate: the US *needs* to enact laws like Oz, Canada or the UK, removing handguns from the general public. This would not have happened there.[/quote']

I think that will involve some kind of national lobotomy. :)

Sadly 100% correct. Most folks have never seen what a gun can do to people, up close and in reality not a video game. If they did, they'd get it...

Having grown up in a place where everyone had guns and no one was safe, a prime reason I prefer to never live in the USA again. I'd seriously do a Pattaya swan dive before moving back there! Those people are simply dangerously insane.

1) Doing so requires ammending the US Constitution.

2) Kindly disarm the criminals first. They are the ones most likely to be armed - and to use their weapons. They would be tickled pink if all of their potential victims were disarmed instead.

Guest lazyphil

LK, people forget what booze does. breaks up familys, domestic violence, drunk driving deaths, millions wasted fixing sick people cuz of booze, hours and hours of police time wasted dealing with drunk related crimes etc......responsable drinkers are as valid as responsable gun owners. of course you like drinking and so it safely.....MANY dont!

However you could argue theres no place in society for guns and alcohol. both can be VERY very distructive to a society.

people dont see what booze does. Paramedics, police, judges, doctors, surgeons do. we, generally dont, we'd 'get it' if we did.

not teetotal btw :content:

<< From June 1, the first day of class:

"One day down and nineteen to go. We do have one student in the class who was disruptive today, I'm not certain yet if he was on drugs (as one person surmised) or disturbed. He scares me a bit. The teacher tried to throw him out and he refused to go, so I talked to the teacher afterward. Hopefully he will be out of class very soon, and not come back with an automatic weapon."

From June 10:

"As for me, Thursday means the end to week two of algebra class. It seems to be going by quickly, but then I do have three weeks to go so we'll see how I feel by then. Class isn't dull as we have a seriously disturbed student in the class, and they are trying to figure out how to get rid of him before he does something bad, but on the other hand, until he does something bad, you can't do anything about him. Needless to say, I sit by

the door."

From June 14:

"We have a mentally unstable person in the class that scares the living crap out of me. He is one of those whose picture you see on the news, after he has come into class with an automatic weapon. Everyone interviewed would say, Yeah, he was in my math class and he was really weird. I sit by the door with my purse handy. If you see it on the news one night, know that I got out fast..."

The class's instructor, Ben McGahee, said in an interview Sunday that Loughner had been removed from class in its third or fourth week, because of repeated disruptions. >>

Link

I can't find where I read it now, but a report said the Army cannot release private records on individuals. But unofficially the story was the wierdo had failed a drug test. (I do know the Army runs random checks on soldiers several times a year these days. You do not use any drugs, period.)