Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I think Palin bears some responsibility but you obviously don't. Every action seems to get a reaction these days. People have such low attention spans anyway it probably all gets forgotten pretty fast. Last week Wikileaks, this week Arizona, next week something else.

I believe Sarah has quite a team working on press releases, updating Facebook and Twitter etc. They know how her core audience thinks (if that's the word). Somebody must think the 'blood libel' stuff will go down well with Jews.

I blame the perp in this case as well. By just about all accounts save his parents, he was described as being mentally disturbed. As I stated before, with that kind of person anything could have set him off. If we're talking joe sixpack, normal life, etc. then I could see it but ths guy could be influenced by a church, rock music, or a break up with a girl, etc, and after examining his state of mind, we would conclude he was just a disturbed mind.

I'm on record as being no big admirer of Palin and the rest. Infringments on free speech is a huge issue with me. Its one of the cornerstones of what we believe in, in this country. I think a lof of us are way too quick to label some of the rhetoric as not being protected by free speech. Its a little scary frankly. We have a recent history of using tragedy to curtail civil rights and liberties. 911 being the most obvious. As I said, ironically enough, some of the very rhetoric of the people that created and approved free speech in the constitution may be deemed not free speech going by the curbs I'm reading on this thread.

I know you're being cynical, but I lean a lot more towards blameless myself opposed to those trying to target Palin ('target,' haha, get it?), unless you're going to hold us all culpable. I don't see any malicious intent there or anything even comparable to OH's comparison to Metzger. Still good to have these conversations though and think about what influences people and why. And acknowledge.... hmmmmm. I need to think about this still.

Way too much coffee for me today, I'm waiting on a new assignment at work that will dictate a lot of things for me the next several months (and whether I come to LOS for a year next March, or just for a few months...now). I need to go chill.

Anyway.

btw - Here's a Wiki-leaks tale for you, kinda cool. Appeared in the LA times supplement a few days ago.

May ring a little close to home for some of the expats -- a man caught in limbo in a foreign country, a limbo that is turning bad quickly.

75 year old Iranian (Persian) dentist, in the US since he was 10, goes to visit his parents grave. Arriving in Iran, his troubles begin... (and this came out, of all places, in the wiki-leaks release, great story if you read the entire thing):

Link

:

Dr. Hossein G. Vahedi is a 77-year-old Los Angeles dentist. For decades, he has led a very private life. Until November 28, when WikiLeaks publicized its first batch of 250,000 classified State Department documents. Among them were U.S. Embassy cables from Ankara, Turkey, to Washington, D.C., written in February 2009 on Vahedi’s behalf. They essentially said this: “Refused permission to return home to the U.S. after visiting relatives in Iran, Hossein Ghanbarzadeh Vahedi, 75, undertook a daring secret trek over the mountains to Turkey and turned up in Ankara asking for help.â€Â

In a follow-up, it was said that Vahedi’s getaway was made on horseback over snow-covered mountains patrolled by armed border guards. In the wake of the WikiLeaks release, news organizations around the world have been clamoring for details, but Vahedi himself has not spoken. “I can tell the story only once,†he says today from his son and daughter-in-law’s home in a hillside section of Brentwood. “It is too difficult to relive. The memory makes me feel sick.â€Â

Before I meet with Vahedi, my mental picture of him is a cross between John Wayne and James Bond. Instead, he looks more like a violinistâ€â€soft-spoken, with white hair, bifocals and graceful hands, which makes it all the more difficult to imagine him atop a horse, switchbacking along icy cliffs."

Palin (and her family) has been the target (yes, Dave32, I get it :content: ) of redicule and almost every conceivable way to demean her. Libtards have been unrelenting in their attacks on her...even in the face of strong evidence that she is not a person to be concerned about with respect to kicking Obama's ass out of the White House. (Please note that I referred to "kicking"...in an unlethal way, I might add.)

I can't imagine Pelosi, Joe Biden or Obama standing with their fingers up their noses if Rush (Olberman's counter ego) accused them of playing a part in the Tucson incident.

Perhaps a White House "wine summit" featuring a "good" bottle of Mogan David or "L'Chaim" would be a good idea? Pelosi and Palin could step off 20 paces and take aim. (I'm only guessing at who would win that one; and I've been known to give "sucker bets". :content:

HH

The Govenor of Arizona has changed her tone and has actually been civil. The Govenor and Giffords were almost mortal enenmies over the SB1070 issue. The Govenor was 100% for SB1070 wereas Giffords was opposed of the issue.

Some have speculated that some of the rantings of the shooter might have been in regards to the illegal immigrant issue. He spoke of 'grammer' and then coupled it that they didn't have much if any grammer which some have speculated was a jab against illegals who have a tendency not to speak English very well.

The Sheriff of Pima County has been taking a lot of heat, most of it out of context. He is another one who is against SB1070. He claims we can't afford it - it cost too much to enforce.

Quick interruption. Palin isn't electable, sure she has her hard-core constituency, but amongst the fence-sitters.... uh uh. Ain't going to happen.

Hence the Republican party will be facing an enigma the next election Hugh, and I'm fairly confident in that prediction. Palin will hurt them as much as or more than she helps them. And if they run her, it will split them. I'll most definitely back that on a wager.

Note: While I really don't like her platform, I find Palin interesting, and not all in negative ways. If only some of her positions weren't so f'd up...