Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

The Patti Smith lyrics? I guess that's a free speech thing. The N word and all that.

I agree with what you say about Palin. I've noticed the grooming and the canned commentary. I don't know what's going on with the woman anymore. The 'real American' act. Something makes me think she's being used.

My fear is, there are enough stupid people in this country who would vote for any or all of the above mentioned wing nuts.

They may have trouble finding anyone to run.

Arizona Republicans resign over security concerns

By Rachel Rose Hartman

Saturday's shooting in Tucson, which left six dead and 14 injured, including Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, has prompted several Republicans involved in Arizona politics to resign their positions, the Arizona Republic reports.

Legislative District 20 party chairman Anthony Miller, who was recently re-elected to serve a second one-year term, and other staff members cited security concerns as the reason for their withdrawals, the newspaper reports. "He said constant verbal attacks after that election and Internet blog posts by some local members with Tea Party ties made him worry about his family's safety," Edythe Jensen writes for the Republic.

Also resigning for similar reasons, according to Jensen: Newly elected District 20 Republican secretary Sophia Johnson, first vice chairman Roger Dickinson, and Jeff Kolb, the former district spokesman.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110112/pl_yblog_theticket/arizona-republicans-resign-over-security-concerns

The Patti Smith lyrics? I guess that's a free speech thing. The N word and all that.

Yes and no. Meant it bigger than that. Her critics tried to shut her down and twist the message into something it wasn't. Not that hard to do.

I'm glad she was able to impact the world. In a more sterile environment you might not have some of the more hateful political personas, but you wouldn't have the Patti Smith's either.

And seriously, all this stuff about cross-hairs on a political map and tying it into a schizo killing someone, is reaching. I don't like the militant attitude of the far right on a lot of things, but the efforts made to link all these things together is a bit of a stretch. Might as well shut down the Beatles because Manson thought Helter Skelter was his cue to murder.

>>I said I didn't remember.

You're in illustrious company, FM.

Downunder we know "I can't recall" as the Alan Bond defense since emulated by several West Australian Premiers, dodgy entrepreneurs, the Archbishop of Melbourne, and Bill Clinton amongst others

It's a ripper defense for avoiding perjury on the witness stand.

:beer:

And seriously, all this stuff about cross-hairs on a political map and tying it into a schizo killing someone, is reaching. I don't like the militant attitude of the far right on a lot of things, but the efforts made to link all these things together is a bit of a stretch. Might as well shut down the Beatles because Manson thought Helter Skelter was his cue to murder.

I don't think anything will get 'shut down'. America is just too big on personal freedom for that to happen. Which is what this whole thing is about I guess.

Glocks are flying off the shelves BTW.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503983_162-20028186-503983.html

Rush Limbaugh is having a field day on his talk show today. Rush couldn't believe what Obama said last night in Tucson.

Rush Limbaugh evolved from a kind of obnoxious one-sided but skilled orator who was very good at getting under the skin of his opponents, to someone who let his growing influence get to his head. It's stupid, sad, and annoying.

And btw - I think there is a legitimate problem when people are receiving threats. That is over an acceptable line.

It still doesn't make a case for this eagerness to connect Loughner and Palin. Unless you get really really abstract and shit.

And then you're thinking like a Loughner.