Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

It sounds like the plot of an apocalyptic action movie, but scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey warned federal and state emergency officials that California's geological history shows such "superstorms" have happened in the past, and should be added to the long list of natural disasters to worry about in the Golden State.

The threat of a cataclysmic California storm has been dormant for the past 150 years. Geological Survey director Marcia K. McNutt told the New York Times that a 300-mile stretch of the Central Valley was inundated from 1861-62. The floods were so bad that the state capital had to be moved to San Francisco, and Governor Leland Stanford had to take a rowboat to his own inauguration, the report notes. Even larger storms happened in past centuries, over the dates 212, 440, 603, 1029, 1418, and 1605, according to geological evidence.

The risk is gathering momentum now, scientists say, due to rising temperatures in the atmosphere, which has generally made weather patterns more volatile.

The scientists built a model that showed a storm could last for more than 40 days and dump 10 feet of water on the state. The storm would be goaded on by an "atmospheric river" that would move water "at the same rate as 50 Mississippis discharging water into the Gulf of Mexico," according to the AP. Winds could reach 125 miles per hour, and landslides could compound the damage, the report notes.

Such a superstorm is hypothetical but not improbable, climate researchers warn. "We think this event happens once every 100 or 200 years or so, which puts it in the same category as our big San Andreas earthquakes," Geological Survey scientist Lucy Jones said in a press release.

Federal and state emergency management officials convened a conference about emergency preparations for possible superstorms last week.

Link

With the floods in Australia, Germany, Sri Lanka and Brazil..... feeling a bit left out are we?

The owner comes out of an old apartment building all the windows barred and even razor wire along parts of the fence. He looks alarmed. I got my insurance stuff and whip out a phone to call the cops. He starts emphasizing, "NO," "It's OK."

btw - Reason I brought up that story -- the truck owner was a nice OLD latino guy, and at the time I was still relatively new to LA. Later I obviously knew he was an illegal.

I got mixed feelings on that. Yes, there need to be immigration controls and there should also be a central language requirement. But most illegals I've met were actually pretty nice people.

There is an attitude with some groups though - I'm talking about young immigrant kids growing up poor in LA who just don't care - that is basically 'fuck you, we'll take what we can get and don't give a rat's ass about your culture or values.'

I don't know what resolution is. Would hate to see LA become an extension of Tijuana. Would also hate to see it become some boring ass white bread city.

I endure the show every now and then to see the one secret weapon the US version has - Rainn Wilson aka Dwight Schrute.

Agree 100% - he carries that show, but he has some very good 'straight' men and women around him. Not sure how many actors would feel in sequences where some overgrown dufus is throwing front kicks millimetres from their face and they just have to sit there and look stunned.

If Carrell is overrated and 'unfunny' (and I think he is both), he is exceeded on both counts by Will Ferrell. I have loathed him in everything except 'Step Brothers' - he is credited with the screenplay, forcing me to concede that he may just have some comedic talent. Getting back to Carrell, I may have been the only male on earth not to find '40 Year Old Virgin' funny but the guy just irritated me from go to whoa. All this from someone who laughs at Jim Carrey movies, even those where he isnt trying to be funny.

Taking uninsured cars off the highway...

Recently, in the City of Dallas, Texas, they passed an ordinance that if you are pulled over by law enforcement and not able to provide proof of insurance, your car will be towed right away.

Afterwards, to retrieve your car after being impounded, you must show proof of insurance to have your car released. This has made it easy for the City of Dallas to remove uninsured cars that are typically driven by mostly illegals.

Shortly after "No insurance" ordinance was passed, the Dallas impound lots began to fill up quickly and were full after nine days. Most of the impounded cars were driven by illegals.

Not only must you provide proof of insurance to have your car released, you have to pay for the cost of the tow, a $350 fine, and charged $20 for every day their car is kept in the lot.

I would suggest other cities across the nation to follow what Dallas, Texas is doing. Not only is it getting uninsured drivers off the road, but it is taking away vehicles driven by illegals that have no insurance that might endanger your life.

GO Texas !

--------------

Dallas' Solution?

Get them off the road WITHOUT making them show proof of nationality. Wonder how the ACLU or the Justice Department will get around this one.

Of course, I can hear the rightie's screams all the way over here on the other side of the world when they forgot their wallet with all their info in it and the Jag gets towed at $350! "Too much government! It isn't fair!" LOL!

I endure the show every now and then to see the one secret weapon the US version has - Rainn Wilson aka Dwight Schrute.

Agree 100% - he carries that show' date=' but he has some very good 'straight' men and women around him. Not sure how many actors would feel in sequences where some overgrown dufus is throwing front kicks millimetres from their face and they just have to sit there and look stunned.

If Carrell is overrated and 'unfunny' (and I think he is both), he is exceeded on both counts by Will Ferrell. I have loathed him in everything except 'Step Brothers' - he is credited with the screenplay, forcing me to concede that he may just have some comedic talent. Getting back to Carrell, I may have been the only male on earth not to find '40 Year Old Virgin' funny but the guy just irritated me from go to whoa. All this from someone who laughs at Jim Carrey movies, even those where he isnt trying to be funny. [/quote']

I'm with you on all three (can't stand Carrell, Ferrell or Carey), but credit where it is due: Will Ferrell and the entire Talladega Nights movie was a brilliant piss take (and the fact it is rumoured to have pissed off mouth-breathing, inbred, red-neck Republicans makes it even better LOL!)...

Oh, look! Another coincidence.

Authorities have yet to decide whether this was done by a liberal plant or by a crazy person who has never watched Fox News or listened to talk radio.

[color:purple]An incendiary device found along the route of a Martin Luther King Day parade in Spokane, Wash., was “likely capable of inflicting multiple casualties,†the FBI said today.[/color]

Expect more of this. And remember it’s all coincidence that it’s all aimed at black people, Democrats, and people who work in the federal government. The right wingnut noise machine has nothing to do with it. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wow! WTF is this about? I think I'm scarred for life, or maybe simply in awe at Teh Stoopid. That and longing for more cowbell. It definitely needs more cowbell to be a hit.

Is this real? This isn't real. Is it really real? Please say it's real! If not, that is the best SNL skit I've ever seen! It is hysterical for its mix of pathos and prideful ignorance.

UhMepzqJvIw

I anxiously await their revised "America the Beautiful"-themed tribute to Snooki...

snooki2.jpg

Quack quack!