Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

Five South Dakota lawmakers have introduced legislation that would require any adult 21 or older to buy a firearm “sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense.â€Â

The bill, which would take effect Jan. 1, 2012, would give people six months to acquire a firearm after turning 21. The provision does not apply to people who are barred from owning a firearm.

Nor does the measure specify what type of firearm. Instead, residents would pick one “suitable to their temperament, physical capacity, and preference.â€Â

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.â€Â

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

[color:red]“Do I or the other co-sponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,†he said.[/color]

I'd like an Uzi. :content:

Does he have a problem with states requiring us to buy car insurance? There are a ton of things we have to buy as mandated by the government that would meet the same test as health insurance.

I am no big fan of big govvernment but I just think its a bit over the top. I know others don't and I respect that. The FACT is that both parties propose a health care plan. Its part of the national debate. Had McCain won his version would have been forced on us as well. Maybe not as big as Obama's but nonetheless it would have. My question is does the status quo work? Both parties seem to agree that it doesn't.

I'm more pissed at Obama for seemingly being too tied to the status quo. I don't see as much of an outsider. Maybe its political reality at work. Its one of the things that attracts me to Ron Paul. I honestly feel he could give a rats ass about the status quo and political reality. He'll do what he says.

Steve...big difference between the Federal government mandating that you buy health insurance and a STATE requiring that you buy auto LIABILITY insurance. What's next? Obama mandating that you buy a gym membership?

I think the best way is to take away the mandate that hospitals MUST treat anybody who shows up. That will generate more people to pay up to an insurance company. Those who can't afford it can apply for a "waiver card"...with the provision that you'll never get treated for free again if found you have lied on your application. :content: Oh...and make the this applicable ONLY to legal U.S. residents. Illegals must be reported and INS MUST immediately respond and remove the illegals (unregistered Democrats) from the country. :content:

HH

Does he have a problem with states requiring us to buy car insurance? There are a ton of things we have to buy as mandated by the government that would meet the same test as health insurance.

Actually next to nothing does. As to your example, you have to own or drive a car to "have" to have ins., so there are millions of people that are exempt from it.

With the new health care law.... you just have to be alive to have to buy insurance.

Guest lazyphil

stop flying in gas guzzling jet aircraft LK!!!....no thought not. Walk, not take a taxi?....no, thought not. Fan instead of A/C, no thought not.....WHAT are YOU doing to reduce climate change?....pass the buck lol

Actually next to nothing does. As to your example' date=' you have to own or drive a car to "have" to have ins., so there are millions of people that are exempt from it.

[b']With the new health care law.... you just have to be alive to have to buy insurance.[/b]

Exactly the same thing. If you have a car, you must buy insurance.

If you get sick, then you must buy insurance. Don't want to? Then prove to me you are not even going to get sick. No, your word is not good enough.

If we had the public option like most of us wanted, we would not be having this discussion. But the righties didn't like that, and wrote this mess instead (reference Heritage, Bob Dole, 1994) which the Dems picked up complete to pacify the GOP.

And there is precedent too: waaaayyyy back in 1798!

Actually next to nothing does. As to your example' date=' you have to own or drive a car to "have" to have ins., so there are millions of people that are exempt from it.

[b']With the new health care law.... you just have to be alive to have to buy insurance.[/b]

Exactly the same thing. If you have a car, you must buy insurance.

If you get sick, then you must buy insurance.

Nope. Before you at least had a choice... Now, you have to buy insurance if you at all draw breath. This is the only and first law that makes you pay for something for the simple fact that you are alive and if you dont, makes you a criminal.

As was said in a recent ruling.... "Never before has Congress required that everyone buy a product from a private company for the simple fact of being alive."