Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Hindsight is always much better than foresight. Almost any war could have been prevented with the advantage of hindsight. People seem to forget that JFK was the one who got us so involved in South Vietnam. The Eisenhower Doctrine wrote off all of former French Indo-China as undefendable against a communist takeover. Hanoi and the Viet Minh were simply too strong and the governments of SVN, Laos and Cambodia in no shape to stand against them. But JFK for God knows what reason - maybe because Ngo Dinh Diem was a fellow Roman Catholic - was convinced he could "save" SVN from communism. Eisenhower had poured aid into Thailand and Malaysia to hold the line with them. JFK tried to hold it in Laos and SVN. It didn't work.

People like to slam the "domino theory" - but when Saigon went, the other dominoes quickly followed - Laos, then Cambodia. No one expected it to extend beyond that. Turns out that Eisenhower's people had more on the ball than JFK's.

Err, i oddly think the brit's had a lot more to do with 'holding the line' in malaysia than the usa. I remember asking once a person who i thought would know, 'why didn't you get involved in vietnam'? They replied they had far more experience than usa in fighting the red peril in s e asia and would never think that the vietnam situation was viable. Nor did they believe in the domino theory. Unlike how they undertook malaysia, which had a much smaller red peril base.

I said Ike poured AID into Malaysia, not troops. It was the SAS who pretty much wrapped up that conflict by tracking down and wiping out most of the commie leadership in one swell foop. The reds were by and large ethnic Chinese, which automatically separated them from the ethnic Malay majority. Also, the commies in Malaysia could only be supplied by sea. Hanoi had taken over a big swath of Laos and Cambodia along the South Vietnamese border to move its supplies down. The Ho Chi Mihn trail was actually a series of highways. Truck convoys moved down it loaded with troops and supplies, as did tanks and artillery. (There was a tank attack very near me during my first week or so in SVN. We went on alert in case they headed for us next.)

Are you aware that the British military indirectly supported the VN War by training US officers in guerrilla warfare in Malaysia? The Yanks in training wore British uniforms and were told to keep their mouths shut around civilians. :)

Malaysia was very much pro-South Vietnam, not surprisingly. A couple of US Peace Corps vols wrote a letter to the Malaysian papers condeming the war. The Malaysian government expelled them from the country!

p.s. Want to know where the clandestine camps were in Thailand. :D

Civil Service Board Announces Police Recruit Scores

DAYTON -- The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.

[color:red]Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.

The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.[/color]

[color:red]“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,†said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane. “It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."[/color]

[color:blue]“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,†agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.[/color] :up:

The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won't say how many were minorities.

“If you lower the score for any group of people, you're not getting the best qualified people for the job,†Foward said.

“We need to work with the youth and make them interested in becoming law enforcement officers and firefighters,†said Beane. “Break down the barriers whether they are real or perceived, so we can move forward in this community.â€

The D.O.J. has forced other police departments across the country to lower testing standards, citing once again that not enough black candidates were passing.

The Dayton Firefighter recruit exam is coming up this summer. The chief said it’s likely the passing score for that test will be lowered as well.

Life goes on in the USA ... :p

I'm too lazy to go look - was there anything about Wisconsin here?

Very interesting. I went from coming from 100 percent pro union background (pops, granddad, most uncles worked in the steel mills - Chicago/Gary), to migrating to California and experiencing some of the shittier sides of unions as corrupt political institutions.

I'm not sure what Walker did was a bad thing. Don't know.

Had no idea that they are doing this in the USA...

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112370/welcome-to-debtors-prison-2011-edition?mod=bb-budgeting%20&sec=topStories&pos=7&asset=&ccode=

Welcome to Debtors' Prison, 2011 Edition

Some lawmakers, judges and regulators are trying to rein in the U.S. debt-collection industry's use of arrest warrants to recoup money owed by borrowers who are behind on credit-card payments, auto loans and other bills.

More than a third of all U.S. states allow borrowers who can't or won't pay to be jailed...

So, let me understand this. I owe Bank of America money on a car loan or credit card I can't pay because I lost my job and I could go jail but if Bank of America owes money they can get bailed out by my tax dollars?

Okay, got it.