Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

How dependent are we on foreign oil?

[color:red]The United States imported about 51% of the petroleum' date='[/b'][/color]1 which includes crude oil and refined petroleum products, that we consumed [color:red]during 2009[/color]. ]

Isn't America also one of the world's biggest [color:red]producers[/color] of crude oil?

Exactly where we stand, I am not sure. The EIA's website has been revamped in such a way it looks like it is impossible to abstract that data. The White House webside has been redone in the same fashion. Figure it out?

According to this we're 3rd!

[color:red]The United States imported about 51% of the petroleum' date='[/b'][/color]1 which includes crude oil and refined petroleum products, that we consumed [color:red]during 2009[/color]. ]

Isn't America also one of the world's biggest [color:red]producers[/color] of crude oil?

I found the data on the EIA website... The data was for 2010 and claims the USA, Russia, and Saudia Arabia produce about the same amount of oil.

You are right - we are on the same footing as Saudia Arabia.

Big question now is why that is kept such a secret?

Some are now predicting $6.00 and $7.00 gasoline.

totally ridiculus in my opinion.

Once oil prices went way up, I knew it was the end of relatively cheap oil when compared to other industrialized nations.

The oil companies want us in line with the rest of the western world.

The government has no desire to ween ourselves off oil. All we have done is slowly weened ourselves off middle eastern oil and bought more from other countries (Canada, Venuezula, Nigeria) outside the middle east.

The amount of money the government makes off taxing gas is good so why take away that cash cow in these hard economic times?

For a start the nation's busses could be run on natural gas. LA has the biggest fleet in America I think. The local, state and federal governments could intiate a program to convert all their vehicles to hybrids by a certain date. This would kick start the industry, the cars, trucks, vans and busses could be made right here in the USA and provide millions of jobs. Just to post office vehicles alone would be a boost. Non combatant miliary vehicles on domestic soil as well.

Because of NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) and other factors we could have better mass transportaion systems as well both local and interstate. High speed trains the ones we have seen in Japan and Korea could provide tons of jobs and again, make us use less gas from more people taking them, cut on airline fuel costs, etc. Why California doesn't have a high speed line from San Diego to San Francisco doesn't stand to reason.

What Obama should have done was put his political capital on infrastructure instead of heath care. Hard for political enemies to fight a program that creates jobs. Michigan would get a boost for sure for example from all this.

We've phased out the tax credits for some aternative fuel cars (some hybrids for example http://www.hybridcars.com/federal-incentives.html )

When we did have them, they were about $7,500 in total. Not nearly enough in my opinion for a car that would cost close to 20k or more. I would have it where you can fully amortize the cost of the car over a 5-7 year period for an American made (and damn near 100% of it has to be made here) atlernative fuel car (electric or hybrid) for any car under a certain price (30k for for example or whatever to avoid manufactures coming up with some 60k car).

I wouldn't force anyone to give up gas guzzlers. Just give them an eocnomic incentive to give it up. Carrot rather than stick.

Edited by Guest

Bigger qusstion. Where is all that oil going?

I found the data on the EIA website... The data was for 2010 and claims the USA, Russia, and Saudia Arabia produce about the same amount of oil.

You are right - we are on the same footing as Saudia Arabia.

Big question now is why that is kept such a secret?