Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Many of you have been around a lot longer than I have. You've seen some tough times in America. Let me ask those of you who are American and can remember not only the '60s or '70s clearly but also may know more about what your parents experienced as well.

Is this as bad as its ever been? I know the Great Depression was bad. My parents were too young for it but it was fresh in their consciousness. They as well as my grandparents pretty much lost all faith in any financial institution. For years my mother would rather deal in cash than trust a bank check. We always had canned fruits and foods stored in the cellar..as a precaution. They faced very tough times as kids and it always lingered in their minds and that was passed on to us.

I certainly don't hold out much hope for my nephews future. Oh, they'll do well. They are smart kids who will get a great degree and be very marketable. They will have at the very least a solidly middle class existence if not better. However, I fear they will struggle more than they should. A solid middle class life in the future is looking more like to a solid working class life that I know.

I don't see a working life in the U.S. as anything to have any longer. Living abroad is much more appealing. The daily grind of life seemingly sucks out the soul from ones body.

The government seems to view us all as sources of revenue to nickel and dime and beat into submission instead of there to serve our best needs. I now believe we're seen as 'the enemy' to the government. I know it sounds crazy. Maybe I am (a couple friends and family members as well as all my ex girlfriends would confirm that).

We are told what we want to hear in electiions and then whomever is elected begins to batter us economically and civil liberty wise until we have no fight in us left. We have to pay for small conveniences that were once free.

Law enforcement sees us as the enemy as well. 'Protect and serve'? I don't get that feeling at all.

Are we finished? If not, why? What makes you think we can turn things around? I'd love to hear.

My parents grew up in the Great Depression. They were fortunate in that their fathers' worked all through it (railway men). But it had its effect. My mother told me the first time my father bought something "on time", she burst into tears - since they had never been in debt before. It was a matter of pride to pay for whatever you bought up front. She told me she remembered seeing grown men trying to sell apples or canned goods on street corners, desperate to earn enough to feed the family day by day.

One thing I will never forget was being told to "clean your plate". You did not waste food. You took it, you ate it. To this day I have a hard time not forcing myself to finish a meal, even when I am already full. You always compare prices when buying anything, always look for the best deal. You also treat everyone with respect - black, white, brown, yellow is irrelevant. We are all here just trying to get by and are all in the same boat. The Depression had its lingering effects, even when I was a kid in the 1950s, decades later.

I remember old people who would never EVER vote Republican, blaming the Depression on Hoover. In reality, old Cal Coolidge was a lot more to blame, since he could see what was happening and refused to do anything. Hoover had only been in office a few months when the Depression hit, but he got all the blame. Ever heard of "Hoover wagons"? I've seen photos of them and met people who rode in them. Country folk country couldn't afford to run their cars, so they took the wheels off and put them on their farm wagons for a smoother ride.

I am not in the States now, so all I know is what I read in the newspapers. But my sister worked for Circuit City for over 20 years. Circuit City went bust and about 80% of her pension went with it. Our home is paid for, but expenses for utilities are horrendous. She tells me about paying utility bills that match my monthly income in Bangkok!

Looks like it's a good time to stay put and wait for the US to recover, if and when it does. My complaint about Obama is that he keeps spending money is if it grew on trees. When you are broke, you tighten your belt. You don't get into foreign adventures and you don't bail out foreign banks. But it seems heretical to say that. Both major political parties are full of crap, so what to do? :(

Herman Cain: Jon Stewart Mocked Me Because I'm A 'Black Conservative'

After suggesting that he would not allow words like Stewart's to hurt him, Cain suggested that because "he's an American Black Conservative, an A-B-C" he's been labeled "Uncle Tom," a "sell out," an "Oreo" and "shameless." For that reason, he said that he "does not care" about what Stewart had to say.

No surprise?

Everybody already knows the truth. It was laid out during the trial. Enough evidence to convict 10 people. His lawyers weren't especially brilliant. His "innocense" was only the result of a judge not taking command and a rigged/biased jury.

HH

A family friend is a now retired judge. He told me at the time that Judge Ito was hopelessly incompetent. He added that defence attorneys don't win cases, prosecutors lose them. The whole trial was a disaster. An FBI forensic medicine fella said to me that if he had been as sloppy as the LAPD had been with evidence, he'd have lost his job.

You want to know what is going on in the USA?

Follow the fucking money. Who is getting rich? Who isn't?

It is that elementary.

The Gubbamint? Errand boys sent by grocers to collect the bill. As it always has been. Oh, on further review, Ron Paul is a fucking retard. If he really is a decent guy, then he is just a fucking guppy in a shark tank.

Herman Cain: Jon Stewart Mocked Me Because I'm A 'Black Conservative'

After suggesting that he would not allow words like Stewart's to hurt him, Cain suggested that because "he's an American Black Conservative, an A-B-C" he's been labeled "Uncle Tom," a "sell out," an "Oreo" and "shameless." For that reason, he said that he "does not care" about what Stewart had to say.

No surprise?

I personally wouldn't say Stewart's comments were racially motivated. Stewart has a history of ridculing ALL conservatives and most Republicans. I didn't hear race mentioned by Stewart at all. Cain is using the race card if anything. I caution that such a card is a privelege and should not be overused hence it loses its power. It should really only be used when you're trying to get the bank to financie your business or you're on trial for a double murder or if you've already spent more than $50 and the white girl you have on the date won't go back to your place. :nahnah:

He is far, far right though. A bit too far right for me. I love his life story. Its one of those stories that America is famous for and seems to happen here more than any other place.

You want to know what is going on in the USA?

Follow the fucking money. Who is getting rich? Who isn't?

It is that elementary.

The Gubbamint? Errand boys sent by grocers to collect the bill. As it always has been. Oh, on further review, Ron Paul is a fucking retard. If he really is a decent guy, then he is just a fucking guppy in a shark tank.

I remember a scene from the tv show The Wire and the cop said 'follow the drugs and you'll find drug addicts and drug dealers...follow the money and you don't know who you'll find.'

As far as Ron Paul, I understand the hesitance so I'll ask for your candidate? Or someone who should run and isn't.

The person who I think has the most integrity, good ideas and hopefully will run for President one day is Jersey City mayor Cory Booker. Phenominal guy.