Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

To be fair to the right. They do believe in high sppeed internet and high speed rail lines and infrastructure and such. I think the main difference is how they want it done, which is primarly by the free market. I think there is room for the free market with respect to bidding and innovation but not to be relied on to initiate and do the projects.

The fact is that a lot of government projects are badly run and its not usual for them to have massive over expenditures above the predicted cost. The problem is the money grab when these projects are done by the government. We need infrastructure and I do agree its best from a planned, government way for the most part. It must be done right. Too many no bid contracts (as in the case of the Iraq war) and union interference for some things such as who can do what, etc.

Shoulda put this in sports but...

Amazing this kid is 14 and 6'10". I had a friend in my neighborhood who was about 6'4 in middle school and he topped out at 7' after HS. One of those sad stories of a guy who never developed his talent.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1246973

It's pretty hard not to notice Stephen Zimmerman in any setting. He's 6-foot-10, wears a size 19 shoe and towers above everyone in any room he enters.

But here's the most astounding part of Zimmerman's story: He's only 14 years old and just finished the eighth grade.

Zimmerman had already reached the 4-foot mark by the time he turned 4. At 11, he became a 6-footer and was dunking a basketball two years later. Now at 14, he's 6-10 and - get this - supposedly not done growing yet (doctors predict he'll stop between 7-1 and 7-2).

So, no, Zimmerman certainly won't be a typical freshman walking the halls this fall at Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas. But Bishop Gorman isn't the typical high school, either. Gorman could be the top-ranked basketball team in the nation with four elite D-I prospects, including the No. 1 player in the 2012 class, Shabazz Muhammad.

And the newest addition to this roster of stars already is emerging as one of the most intriguing. UNLV, UCLA, Kansas and national champion Connecticut already offered scholarships, Zimmerman says, and the NBA is certainly not out of the question

The amazing thing is....no, that he's a good white player...haha...sorry, I had to, it was too inviting but this part of the article.

was this:

he is also attempting to buck a trend that has been increasing in recent years. The United States doesn't generate big guys as much these days. The proof was in this past draft as five of the top seven players selected were 6-9 or taller, yet none of them hailed from this country. Those picks were Enes Kanter (Turkey), Tristan Thompson (Canada), Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania), Jan Vesely (Czech Republic) and Bismack Biyombo (Congo).

When the hell did we stop growing tall basketball players? Have you seen the size of the average teenager nowadays? I'm talking the girls!

To be fair to the right. They do believe in high sppeed internet and high speed rail lines and infrastructure and such. I think the main difference is how they want it done, which is primarly by the free market. I think there is room for the free market with respect to bidding and innovation but not to be relied on to initiate and do the projects.

The fact is that a lot of government projects are badly run and its not usual for them to have massive over expenditures above the predicted cost. The problem is the money grab when these projects are done by the government. We need infrastructure and I do agree its best from a planned, government way for the most part. It must be done right. Too many no bid contracts (as in the case of the Iraq war) and union interference for some things such as who can do what, etc.

The Interstate highways are an excellent example of Government sponsored infrastructure especially under Eisenhower.

I don't think people would appreciate it if after a few miles you have to pay a toll.

In the Wild West the roads were for the most part privately owned and were tolled roads. A really pain in the ass.

In the Wild West the water companies were privately owned. In Tombstone they had 2 water companies that had pressured water lines in the city. When the city caught fire, one water company apparently did nothing and the other provided water carts which accomplished almost nothing. The second company even had fire hydrants in the city and still it became a fiasco.

Baseball manager Ozzie Guillen on Sean Penn and a couple other hot button topics. Interesting and even funny.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/Graham_Bensinger_InDepth/26116817#news/Graham_Bensinger_InDepth/26116817

Good old Ozzie...always good for stiring the pot. 555555555555555 I don't know if he believes what he says or thinks before he says it. But ya gotta love him !

HH

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

DENVER -- A Denver couple has filed a formal complaint with the Transportation Security Administration after a pregnant woman's insulin and ice packs were confiscated by screeners at Denver International Airport.

The couple has traveled around the world with her medical supplies, including insulin and syringes, and have never encountered any troubles before, they said.

"It made me feel upset and made me feel somewhat helpless," said Aaron Nieman.

Nieman's wife was traveling alone to a baby shower in Phoenix when she was questioned by a TSA agent as she went through security around 4 p.m. Thursday.

"He's like, 'Well, you're a risk.' I'm like, 'Excuse me?' And he's like, 'This is a risk ... I can't tell you why again. But this is at risk for explosives,'†Nieman's wife said. She asked 7NEWS not to use her name for fear of retaliation for speaking out.

"I got a bottle of nail polish. I got hair spray bottles. I got needles that are syringes. But yet I can't take through my actual insulin?†she asked.

The mother-to-be said she brought the appropriate doctor's note and the medication was labeled correctly, so she's perplexed as to why her insulin would be confiscated this time.

She said she was able to get half a vial through security, apparently unnoticed by TSA agents.

"It was at the bottom of my lunch box because they didn't search it all the way through. They just took out every thing on top,†she said.

The woman has since made arrangements for additional insulin to be delivered to her while she's in Arizona.

TSA - hiring the mentally handicapped ...