Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I think we arrogantly think that our form of goverment is what all the people's of the world yearn for. What I expect from freeing a people who had no prior freedom is to be able to democractically choose whether or not to be a democratic nation. The moslem countries are far more religious than western ones so its no surprise there are going to be various levels of religion and religious laws incorporated in how they run their country. What history should tell us is that with moslems, by and large, they do not want to keep church and state separate and see it pretty much as the same to varying degrees. Even secular Turkey has a fair amount of religion in it. The old Lebanon, specifically Beirut, came closest but they also had a lot of Christians there and a huge amount of western influence, especially French.

A country can choose not be a good country by our standards democratically. They'll have to deal with the ramifications of their choice with regards to commerce, politics, etc. but its still their choice. I don't think any pre requirement to freeing a people is that they become democratic should ever be done.

Hoping the Syrian uprising takes hold. They are troublemakers and it removes one ally from Iran...hopefullly. I also think once Egypt gets settled they will respect the recent history between themselves and Irsael and deal with people using their border with Israel to launch attacks. It won't be as warm and fuzzy as Mubarak but they'll see its in their best interest. Saudi Arabia has to be wary of the Arab Spring/Summer phenomina.

The Weather Channel says yesterday's east coast earthquake caused by a previously unknown fault line running under our great nation's capitol. It is now being called Obama's Fault, although Obama will likely say it's really Bush's Fault. Other theories are that the turbulence was our founding fathers rolling over in their graves, but really what we thought to be an earthquake was actually the aftermath of a single 14.6 trillion dollar check bouncing.

@Steve ... Numerous leaders in Islamic countries have said point blank that democracy is incompatible with Islam. Islam means to surrender to the faith - and to do whatever your religious leaders tell you to do. A bit hard to get around that and be democratic too. Yet our leaders insist they are going to bring democracy to them anyway. :dunno:

@Steve ... Numerous leaders in Islamic countries have said point blank that democracy is incompatible with Islam. Islam means to surrender to the faith - and to do whatever your religious leaders tell you to do. A bit hard to get around that and be democratic too. Yet our leaders insist they are going to bring democracy to them anyway. :dunno:

I'm fine with that as long as 1) they aren't trying to kill me and other westerners and 2) they aren't opressing their citizens with religion as a weapon. Can't do much about the latter, its up the people there to not put up with any BS.

Fine with me too. If they want to believe the moon is made of cheese and put a green crescent on their flag, that's their business. But remember all of the talk about "bringing democracy" to Iraq? And the genius politicians who talk about spreading democracy across the Islamic world? Why don't they butt out? :(

Saw an IQ documentary the other day examining the data on Race and IQ.

Plenty of inflammatory stuff there.

But, it seems that current thinking is that IQ gets higher as a direct correlation, to the advancement of the particular culture involved. (advancement... what does this mean?)

Race/Colour is not an indicator.

This is quite pleasing in some respects. But it does mean that, supposed advanced cultures have the running, i.e. Chinese, and those of Greek and Roman origin. This doesn't explain the Egyptians though.

Thought this was interesting...

Fine with me too. If they want to believe the moon is made of cheese and put a green crescent on their flag, that's their business. But remember all of the talk about "bringing democracy" to Iraq? And the genius politicians who talk about spreading democracy across the Islamic world? Why don't they butt out? :(

I would say one of the biggest mistakes the USA has ever made was trying to convert Muslims to Democracy.

Instead of Democracy why not a Republic like the form of government we have?

Unfortunately we have been forced into a position where our society as we know it cannot survive unless we do business with the Muslim world.

If we pay them billions of dollars every year do we have a right to tell them not to treat women like animals and boil political opponents alive?

If you were doing good business with a man and discovered he sodomised children would you take steps to correct his behaviour and risk your income or shrug it off as none of your business?