Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I now know who I won't vote for, Texas Gov Perry. All because the Gov. of my state, Brownback, endorsed him. You could call Brownback "Perry lite" because Brownback wants to turn Kansas into a mini Texas, with no income tax, few government benefits, high percentage of citizens that do not have health insurance and a low educational ranking. Now, if Brownback brings back the active use of the death penalty in Kansas (like Texas), I might change my mind (but I doubt it).

Maybe his strategy is using some sort of good 'ol boy charm but I'm not impressed with Perry's intellect. The job of President has expanded. You're a global leader. I don't see it in him.

Romney seems fairy smart. Not exceptional but smart enough. Huntsman and Paul probably tops the list of candidates in candlestick power.

I'm not buying the Obama has been a terrible president argument. He's not been good but I think the hyperbole out of the Republicans are just the fact that he's not their man and they lost big. Frankly, NO ONE could fix this economy in the 3 years. Its that bad. I think Obama should have focused on infrastructure to build jobs. However, that said, the Republicans wouldn't have done that. What we would have seen is the same old cut the top tax rate, cut capital gains and reduce regs and all it would have done is just made rich people richer. It would not have resulted in jobs. Again, companies are not hiring. Its not because they are over taxed and over regulated. They simply have no faith in the economy to hire. All Romney or Perry will do is make massive cuts in government. I agree there should be cuts in waste but cutting government is a religion to the conservatives right now and I think if they get in power they'll do a lot of harm with the good. I think social security, veterans, medicaid/medicare as well as other programs and people will be hurt by it. It will result in more unemployment and more people hurting and they will cut tax rates to the uppper tier and I fear will pass on the reduction to the middle classes through some increases in some area that will not be apparent. I used to buy the mantra but not any longer. I may be the first of the 'neo libs' (as opposed to neo cons...lol). I am partially joking. I do think government is too big. It should be cut but targeted. Across the board cuts in all areas as some Republicans want to do is unwise. It has to be targeted. I also see us getting more mired in oil at a time when we should be trying to ween ourselves off it.

My problem in this election is I don't see Obama doing what needs to be done or just as important not able to because he will face a hostile congress as I expect Republicans to get more seats in both houses. I also have even less faith in Republicans.

The problems with the economy are significant and on that front, the Obama presidency has not been a success. He used his resource pool of political clout to push through the healthcare plan, but at great cost, with piss poor fiscal planning. Not good.

I like his emphasis on infrastructure but there needs to be more. All that said, in my eyes a Republican victory would be a nightmare with more tax cuts to the wealthy and even greater irresponsibility managing the debt/economy, while using scare tactics to increase social controls and macho military posturing. The democrats are fucking morons and they suck, but the Republicans... they scare me. It's alarming how easy it is for things to spiral out of control, and we're in a vulnerable and fragile place. It's going to take time, effort, and intelligent management in the government to establish better footing. While I think many of Obamas advisers and cabinet members are weak, they're better than the alternative.

The problems with the economy are significant and on that front, the Obama presidency has not been a success. He used his resource pool of political clout to push through the healthcare plan, but at great cost, with piss poor fiscal planning. Not good.

I like his emphasis on infrastructure but there needs to be more. All that said, in my eyes a Republican victory would be a nightmare with more tax cuts to the wealthy and even greater irresponsibility managing the debt/economy, while using scare tactics to increase social controls and macho military posturing. The democrats are fucking morons and they suck, but the Republicans... they scare me. It's alarming how easy it is for things to spiral out of control, and we're in a vulnerable and fragile place. It's going to take time, effort, and intelligent management in the government to establish better footing. While I think many of Obamas advisers and cabinet members are weak, they're better than the alternative.

Well said. My sentiments as well. Republicans will not go along with anything Obama does that makes sense even to them. Its all about conrol. No one can be against infrastructure spending but they'll find a way to mess his program up. Paul and I guess Huntsman (since he worked in the administration) won't be the vindictive political type of the Repub. field. As I said, I lost all my faith in the party after they backed a lot of destructive things (Patriots Act, the wars, etc.)

Romney seems fairy smart. Not exceptional but smart enough. Huntsman and Paul probably tops the list of candidates in candlestick power.

My man NEWT is probably smarter, intellectually and in terms of real knowledge of issues, than any TWO other GOP candidates combined. Not saying too much, I know, but he's substantially smarter and more-versed in the important issues than our Wanker-in-Chief (Barry). Unfortunate that he won't be the GOP nominee, cuz he is viewed as "not electable". (I've said it before: Newt would steal Barry's lunch and eat it in front of him in a TV debate/debates. Indeed, it would be worth watching if you're a conservative even it was on "pay to view". It wouldn't be a pretty sight for neo-libs. 55555555)

Nevertheless, the GOP candidate is almost certain to win in 2012. The alternative would doom this country for decades to come.

Steve, you're lost, my friend. Dave32, gather your wits and don't go to sleep like Steve did ! :sad:

HH

Now reading Ron Paul's book, End the Fed, quite interesting and very informative!

I agree with what he says in that the US gov is addicted to the Fed printing press to get all the cash they want.

Now, like you cannot giver heroin to a heroin addict and expect the person to get of the drug.

The US gov must go thru some withdrawal pains in order to start operating with a balanced budget and get some standard (gold?) to maintain the value of its currency.

My man NEWT is probably smarter, intellectually and in terms of real knowledge of issues, than any TWO other GOP candidates combined. Not saying too much, I know, but he's substantially smarter and more-versed in the important issues than our Wanker-in-Chief (Barry). Unfortunate that he won't be the GOP nominee, cuz he is viewed as "not electable". (I've said it before: Newt would steal Barry's lunch and eat it in front of him in a TV debate/debates. Indeed, it would be worth watching if you're a conservative even it was on "pay to view". It wouldn't be a pretty sight for neo-libs. 55555555)

Nevertheless, the GOP candidate is almost certain to win in 2012. The alternative would doom this country for decades to come.

Steve, you're lost, my friend. Dave32, gather your wits and don't go to sleep like Steve did ! :sad:

HH

HH, I forgot about Newt. He's a changed man I think as well. I don't think he'd have made a great President back in the '90s but I think he's changed over the years. I don't think he's as socially conservative as he was as well. He, Al Gore and even Bill Clinton are different people than they were in the '90s. Older, wiser and not as ideological tied to their '90s ideology (Clinton didn't really have an ideology I think though). You're right about Newt, he is more knowledgeable than Obama in terms of the issues. Although a college professor I wouldn't say he's intellectually smarter but he's not dumb either.

I actually think he'd make a fairly good president and be willing to do some centrist or even left of center things but it won't happen for him. Bad memories of him from older voters on the left for one and the Republican brass won't back him.

Right now HH, too many of the Republican field are into social issues. F*ck social issues. Its the economy. Gays marrying or in the military or stem cell research or Roe v. Wade isn't gonna create jobs. I used to support Republican candidates fairly often. Can't do it any more. The party has been hijacked by Tea Partiers and fundies. The Dems learned their lesson about putting up fringe left candidates years ago. Clinton and Obama are centrists. As much as the right tries to paint Obama as a leftie, he's a centrist. Look at his cabinet and appointments, some of them are Bush hold overs and he's still got the jail in Cuba and still in two wars in the middle east although one is winding down. The far left are mad at him which proves the point. Gays and immigration advocates on the left are disappointed in him.