Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

As opposed to my reservations about Palin. She was so unsuited to govern the Presidency it wasn't funny. Her governorship also shows how easy the job can be in some states.

Helps if you pick a state that has barely 700,000 people, 15% of them Indians or Eskimos. :p

And even then she resigned before the end of her term. Pailin was reason enough not to vote for McCain, though I hardly think Biden is up to the task if anything happens to Obie.

In U.S., Many More Dreading Than Anticipating 2012 Campaign

PRINCETON, NJ -- With the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses serving as the kickoff of voting in the 2012 presidential election campaign, Americans would likely prefer to fast-forward to the end of the campaign than watch it unfold. Given a choice, 70% of Americans say they can't wait for the campaign to be over, while 26% can't wait for it to begin.

Gallup asked the same question Nov. 30-Dec. 7 of residents in 12 states that are expected to be the most important in deciding the electoral vote outcome -- Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin. The eventual nominees are likely to focus their campaign efforts on these 12 swing states, meaning their residents will be bombarded with candidate advertisements, events, and grass-roots outreach.

But even before those efforts have begun in earnest in most of these states, swing-state residents express a slightly higher level of negativity toward the campaign than the overall population, with 75% saying they can't wait for the campaign to be over and 21% saying they can't wait for it to begin.

Nationally, there is little difference by party in feelings about the upcoming campaign -- 67% of Democrats and 66% of Republicans can't wait for the campaign to be over.

More generally, all key subgroups look forward more to the campaign's end than its beginning, but some slightly less so than others. For example, men (31%) are more likely than women (21%) to say they can't wait for the campaign to begin.

The greatest differences in feelings toward the campaign are by age. Senior citizens, who have seen more presidential elections than younger Americans, are least likely to be looking forward to the campaign, with 16% saying they can't wait for it to begin. That compares with 27% or more of those in each of the younger age groups.

The same demographic patterns observed at the national level are also apparent among swing-state residents.

The 2012 presidential campaign is sure to be one of the dominant news stories next year, but for the most part, Americans are not eagerly anticipating it.

There are several possible reasons for the public's antipathy toward the campaign. First, the length of the campaign could be a factor, given that the Republican candidates have been active for much of this year and with roughly 11 months to go before Election Day.

Second, a general distaste for politics and politicians may also be contributing. For example, Gallup in September found 45% of Americans expressing trust in the men and women "who either hold or are running for political office" in this country, a record low, and down 21 percentage points from 2008.

Also, the return of the campaign brings with it the return of negative ads, which may in some ways be effective but also can turn voters off to politics.

Importantly, despite their generally negative feelings toward the campaign, Americans are not necessarily going to tune it out completely, or decline to participate. The same poll finds that 57% of Americans have already given "quite a lot" of thought to the upcoming election, and 72% are at least somewhat enthusiastic about voting in next year's election.

Galumpf Poll

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/des-moines-register-backs-mitt-romney-gop-nomination-014155146.html

The Des Moines Register officially endorsed Mitt Romney's bid for the Republican presidential nomination Saturday, handing the former Massachusetts governor an influential show of support ahead of January's Iowa caucuses.

In backing Romney, the paper's editorial board praised the candidate's "sobriety, wisdom and judgment" and said he offers the best qualities and experience of anyone in the Republican field.

"He stands out especially among candidates now in the top tier," the paper said of Romney in an endorsement published online Saturday. "Newt Gingrich is an undisciplined partisan who would alienate, not unite, if he reverts to mean-spirited attacks on display as House speaker. Ron Paul's libertarian ideology would lead to economic chaos and isolationism, neither of which this nation can afford."

Romney, the paper wrote, has an "ability to see the merits of tough issues from something other than a knee-jerk ideological perspective" suggesting Romney "would be willing to bridge the political divide in Washington."

"His record of ignoring partisan labels to pass important legislation when he was governor of Massachusetts suggests he is capable to making that happen," the Register wrote.

Just wondering - if you are not interested, why are you bothering to read the US news thread? I never look at the threads that don't interest me.

Why I read topics on this Board.

Why I comment.

Must be some kink within mine innerself.

For example, a disgust for cutting/pasting junk from the net.

Those writing the news, if they had any salt in their brains, they would not be parroting stuppidities. They would have a better job than chasing and making sensations out of nothing.

But, some believe them, even bring their BS here. Even ask me what am doing here if I don't want to participate in the hysteria.

You might enjoy it, me not.

Let's see:

If Romney is elected does that mean Republicans don't stand for Christian values?

If Newt is nominated does that mean the Republicans no longer believe in family values?

But then Michelle might get the nod........ and then all hell will break.

Christian right are hypocritical. A person's religion shouldn't matter but they say it does. Obama a self processed born again Christian. Christian right won't support him. Even though Bush's faith was the reason manhy used as why they support him.