Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

http://news.yahoo.com/calif-teen-sentenced-killing-gay-student-201729479.html

VENTURA, Calif. (AP) — A teen who fatally shot a gay junior high classmate in the back of the head during a computer lab nearly four years ago was sentenced Monday to 21 years in state prison, capping an emotional case that focused attention on how schools deal with sexual identity.

Brandon McInerney, 17, dressed in a white T-shirt and blue pants, didn't speak at the hearing, but his lawyer said his client was sorry for killing 15-year-old Larry King.

"He feels deeply remorseful and stated repeatedly if he could go back and take back what he did, he would do it in a heartbeat," Scott Wippert said.

McInerney will report to prison next month, after he turns 18. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, voluntary manslaughter and unlawful use of a firearm after jurors deadlocked during his trial as an adult on a first-degree murder charge.

Several jurors said afterward that they didn't think McInerney should have been tried as an adult.

McInerney had just turned 14 when he shot King in front of shocked classmates at E.O. Green Junior High School in Oxnard on Feb. 12, 2008. Prosecutors alleged it was a hate crime driven by homophobic rage because King wore girl's clothing and flirted with McInerney.

The killing became a flashpoint for gay rights groups that said it was further evidence that children often pay a horrible price when they come out. Comic Ellen DeGeneres, a lesbian, weighed in on her talk show and said gays shouldn't be treated as second-class citizens.

Because of pretrial publicity, the trial was moved from Ventura County to Los Angeles County.

King's father, Greg King, read a four-page letter lambasting everyone from jurors, who he called incompetent, to the media for not focusing enough on school leaders "bungled" handling of his son's situation. He said the shooting had scarred students who testified, calling it their "9/11."

School administrators were criticized for not doing enough in the weeks leading up to the killing at the Oxnard school to quell a simmering feud between the two boys and for allowing King to wear heels and makeup. School district officials said they were upholding federal law by protecting Larry King's right to express his sexual orientation.

Greg King blamed the school district for not heeding requests by his wife to help tone down their son's flamboyant behavior, despite having a plan that called for preventing the boy from drawing attention to himself.

"The school could have and should have prevented Larry from engaging in the provocative behavior he was involved in," he said.

He saved his strongest statements for McInerney, who he said his family couldn't forgive.

"You took upon yourself to be a bully and to hate a smaller kid, wanting to be the big man on campus,'" Greg King said to McInerney on behalf of his wife. "'You have left a big hole in my heart where Larry was and it can never be filled.'"

King's family and Deputy District Attorney Maeve Fox wore buttons with the teen's face on it, while some of McInerney's supporters wore powder blue wristbands that read "Save Brandon." Some teachers and jurors also attended the hearing.

Outside court, Dawn Boldrin, a teacher who gave King her daughter's homecoming dress, had kind words for both of the teens.

"I probably would just hug him," Boldrin said when asked what she would do if she could meet McInerney. "I know he's a good kid."

During the trial, prosecutors portrayed McInerney as a teen who couldn't control his anger and was influenced by white supremacist ideology. Jurors rejected the claim that the killing was a hate crime.

Prosecutors said the plotted killing was first-degree murder and that McInerney should be punished as an adult.

Defense attorneys, who unsuccessfully argued to keep the case in juvenile court, said McInerney reached an emotional breaking point after King's advances. They said he snapped when he heard King wanted to change his first name to Latisha.

Under teams of the plea bargain, McInerney's murder conviction was stayed and he received the harshest possible sentence under California law for voluntary manslaughter — 11 years — and use of a firearm — 10 years. McInerney is ineligible for time served for good behavior because he pleaded guilty to murder.

Following the hearing, defense attorney Robyn Bramson said McInerney is close to getting his high school diploma and plans to take advantage of any opportunity afforded him in prison.

"I really think this is a story that if you follow up in 21 years you'll find a kid who has rehabilitated himself," she said.

The irony is that this kid who shot a gay kid will probably go to a prison where he'll be raped by other men. I feel for the family of the killed kid. I really do. I do take exception with one thing about their anger. They are angry at the Principal for not stopping their child from wearing high heels, etc. which I can only assume was done in part to be provoke other students. Of course it should not be a reason to kill anyone and it can be argued he has a right to dress the way he wants. However, I wouldn't show up at a racist school with a white girl or at a predominantly Jewish school with a swastika armband either knowing that my actions would inflame passions and incite violence.

His mother told the school to make her son dress less provocatively. Isn't that her job? He was a teenager. A classic case of passing the blame by the father. Take some responsibility.

As for the kid being charged as an adult. He was 14 but he had time to think about his actions and get a gun and shoot. A spur of the moment anger flash, okay, premeditated, no. Try as an adult.

The kid is getting 21 years and I wouldn't call that a slap on the wrist. Anyway, its a tragic event.

The irony is that this kid who shot a gay kid will probably go to a prison where he'll be raped by other men. I feel for the family of the killed kid. I really do. I do take exception with one thing about their anger. They are angry at the Principal for not stopping their child from wearing high heels, etc. which I can only assume was done in part to be provoke other students. Of course it should not be a reason to kill anyone and it can be argued he has a right to dress the way he wants. However, I wouldn't show up at a racist school with a white girl or at a predominantly Jewish school with a swastika armband either knowing that my actions would inflame passions and incite violence.

The 'swastika' could be a Buddhist auspicious symbol.

Sounds like the shooter had a real nice pair of parents!

What is the difference of a person

hating gays,

hating Moslems,

hating Obama, etc.?

<< a hate crime driven by homophobic rage because King wore girl's clothing and flirted with McInerney. >>

He was allowed to go to school like that? In my high school days, he'd have had his lights punched out - presuming he wasn't sent home immediately. WTF was wrong with his school? Still, murdering someone is unbelievable.

And yes, the victim's parents deserved a good kick in the arse for permitting it to go on.

Yeah it could - but not at a Jewish school or area, regardless of the origin, the one wearing it would end up bruised.... and rightly so.

This is one of the problems this world has - a lack of tolerance. A few years ago one magazine geared toward farangs thought it was terrible for some Thai children to wear t-shirts with swatizakas on them. The swatizaka is a Buddhist auspicious symbol. The symbol is used by other cultures such as the American Hopi Indians.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70674.html

Conservatives and Republican elites in the state are divided over who to support for the GOP nomination, but they almost uniformly express concern over the prospect that Ron Paul and his army of activist supporters may capture the state’s 2012 nominating contest — an outcome many fear would do irreparable harm to the future role of the first-in-the-nation caucuses.

Paul poses an existential threat to the state’s cherished kick-off status, say these Republicans, because he has little chance to win the GOP nomination and would offer the best evidence yet that the caucuses reward candidates who are unrepresentative of the broader party.

I found the gist of this article utterly distasteful. Republicans in Iowa as well as the higher ups are rueing the possibility of a Ron Paul win as though its a bad thing for Iowa and for the party. So, Iowans expressing their constitutional right to support who they think is best can be a bad thing? How the f*ck is that? If ever I was so disgusted with the Republican party its this article. What makes it worse is that Iowans are supporting Ron Paul as he is. There is no glossy media blitz as we typically have with candidates where weaker minds are pretty much fooled by big money thrown at them. No, Ron Paul wins people over purely on his rhetoric. I want Americans to vote. Even if its not for the person I want. Everyone voting can never be a bad thing. I know we cynically talk of the ignorant and easily fooled voting out there but teh fact is this is friggin' America and we should not only encourage but applaud when more and more Americans decide to vote and not sit on te side lines.

Anyway, this article goes to show you how un American the Republicans are. If its not their man then its a bad thing. WTF? Ron Paul is doing what Obama did last time in Iowa. He's winning people over one at a time.

One more reason NOT to consider a Republican candidate UNLESS its Ron Paul. This from one of his people said it best about him, agree or disagree but..

Paul officials note that they’ve embraced the Iowa way. And even establishment Republicans like Branstad concede that the congressman has done it “the old-fashioned way†and enjoys the best organization of any of the candidates.

“Dr. Paul is hands down the most authentic, principled candidate in the race, and we have run the best, most comprehensive campaign,†said Paul campaign chairman Jesse Benton. “Iowans will help further cement their national status by choosing Dr. Paul and proving that sincerity, seriousness, consistency and hard grassroots campaigning wins in Iowa, not glitzy, media-anointed, establishment front-runners.â€

But many Iowa Republicans, convinced that Paul’s views are well out of the party mainstream, believe that rewarding such an effort in the short-term would risk the very process itself in elections to come.

Hey Steve ! I read where Obama said on 60 Minutes that he thinks his administration is the fourth best in the history of the country. 5555555555555 Oh my God !

Is there any height of bullshit that Obama can't reach? He just keeps piling shit higher and higher. This guy is fucking nuts ! And Harvard just dropped about 100 places among the top universities in the country. LOL Obama's stand up comedy act is ready for the road. Get goin' Barry ! (BTW, his comment was edited out. Not surprising that the leftist CBS didn't want to make him out the fool that he is.)

Here's the link. Too fucking funny 555555555555555555

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/pj-gladnick/2011/12/16/60-minutes-broadcast-edits-out-laughable-obama-claim-4th-greatest-presi

HH