Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Googling for photos, that looks like him ... remembering back nearly 25 years. If so, he didn't have much use for Jimmy Carter and openly said so. Called him "Jimmy Who?" and said he had screwed up the world. We usually ate together, the few anglophones taking shelter from the hordes of frogophones. :p

My Mrs kept nudging me not to talk politics with him, since she knows I have a big mouth. :)

I quite liked him.

Or in Thailand ... "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS?"

That is one thing (among several) that I like about US politics: nobody can buy his way through elections, regardless of the money he puts in (from personal wealth). Many (if not all) rich people had failed when it became clear (or even just a suspicion) the money is all they have behind them.

I remember the days of the "poll tax" in some states, before it was declared illegal. In effect, it kept the very poor from voting, since they wouldn't pay it. Just coincidentally most of those folks tended to be of the African persuasion.

Similarly, there was literacy test. One had to be able to read and write to vote, since it was presumed otherwise they wouldn't know what was going on. (This was before TV and radio.) It may have made sense in the 19th century, but the tests were continued into the mid 20th century - and once again kept minorities from voting.

p.s. These were not confined to the South either and were used at times by both political parties!

There are other ways to keep people from voting.

About a month ago my county sent me a new registration form claiming I needed to fill it out because they needed a new signature from me.

If the form was not filled out, I couldn't vote.

The county forgot to include a self addressed envelope nor a proper address to send the voter registration form back to.

I had to hand deliver the form.

I can just imagine how many said "fark it" and threw the form into the garbage.

Tell that to these draft dodgers who are so keen to sacrifice US troops in useless foreign wars, and now want to keep them there longer, but were reluctant to answer the call themselves when they had the chance...

Rush Limbaugh

Newt Gingrich

Bill O'Reilly

Mitt Romney

Dick Cheney

George W Bush

John Ashcroft

Paul Wolfowitz

Karl Rove

Michael Bloomberg

Rudy Giuliani

Good old Rush........ a draft dodger!

(HH, I think I've found my inner Liberalism :rolleyes: )

I feel your pain. Well, not really. Libtardism isn't a funny thing to joke about. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for this malady. It's too bad you didn't get vaccinated. "Dr." Thomas Sowell could have saved you. 555555555555

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286226/gingrich-s-past-our-future-thomas-sowell

HH

I thought that LBJ had not served in WWII but, on looking it up, was wrong. As a Congressman, he was commissioned a naval second lieutenant and charged with inspecting shipyards in the U.S. He was awarded a silver star while on assignment for FDR, part of a 3 man commission checking on the readiness of U.S. forces in the south Pacific. He was on a plane that would have been one of several that were attacked by Japanese, if the plane hadn't returned early because of engine problems. I can't blame LBJ for accepting the Silver Star but obviously, he was awarded it for the publicity of giving one to a congressman would produce. Its interesting that a member of Congress was also in the military but I guess that can be chalked up to a different time. I don't know if any congressmen were in the military during the Vietnam War but I can't remember of any. And I know that no congressman were in the military during the Gulf War and the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars.

I'd have replaced LBJ with Truman, who was a combat vet of WWI (artillery battery commander in 1918).

LBJ was sent on an assignment by FDR and made a lieutenant commander on the spot! MacArthur gave him a Silver Star to make FDR happy. LBJ was a passenger on a bomber that turned back before even reaching the target. Nevertheless he got decorated for it. No one else on the plane got anything. After 6 months "serving", LBJ left the Navy and returned to Congress. His Silver Star was an absolute joke, but he wore it on his lapel from then on.

There are very few veterans in Congress these days, combat vets even fewer. Maybe that is one of the reasons they are so willing to send the US military to fight and die in wars that are none of our business. :(

I feel your pain. Well, not really. Libtardism isn't a funny thing to joke about. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for this malady. It's too bad you didn't get vaccinated. "Dr." Thomas Sowell could have saved you. 555555555555

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286226/gingrich-s-past-our-future-thomas-sowell

HH

I've enjoyed a few of Sowell's books but frankly he's gone a bif off the deep end when he ventures into politics. He's great with stats and such and making compelling cases for or against accepted dogma but the last several years and when he's not using stats he has become so entrenched in conservatie dogma he's become a caricature.

If he were intellectually honest he'd see that Republican presidents are no where close to the ideology they profess. Even his beloved Reagan. Small government preacher left us with a huge debt and America became a debtor nation in trade under him. Don't know why Republicans insist on deifying Reagan. A President who really had grounds for impeachment legitimately and not the bitter partisan Clinton impeachment vote. Maybe because there hasn't been many Repubican presidents in the modern era to do that about. Ike could be. Other than that there haven't been a decent Repbulcan president since possibly Teddy Roosevelt.