Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Newt is unquestionably intelligent, but does he have the temperment to be in the White House? From the polls, it looks like he hasn't a chance - even if he should get the nomination.

But it does take quite an inflated ego to run for the top office in the US. I read that JFK was asked why he wanted to be president. He replied quite bluntly, "Because that's where the power is." Ron Paul seems to be an exception and really believes in what he is saying. He was asked if he ever saw himself in the White House. Paul answered, "Not really."

I recall Bush trying to bridge a gap and be cordial to Teddy Kennedy by inviting him to a White House viewing of a movie about his brother I think and Teddy pretty much ignored the gesture and went after him. A bit more aggressive than one would imagine someone to be that just invited you to their home. I thought it wasn't nice of Teddy. Bush held out an olive branch after an acrimonious recount and Teddy pretty much spat at it.

There may be a bit of background to this that you might find interesting. GWB had a "thing" about giving people nicknames (http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushquotes/a/bushnicknames.htm) NOT listed is one I recall he gave Kennedy, which I'm sure was the basis for the lack of warmth: "Chappy". LOL

HH

There may be a bit of background to this that you might find interesting. GWB had a "thing" about giving people nicknames (http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushquotes/a/bushnicknames.htm) NOT listed is one I recall he gave Kennedy, which I'm sure was the basis for the lack of warmth: "Chappy". LOL

HH

I know, who do you think gave me my screen name when I happened to run ito him on a group tour of Washington DC? hehehe

Flash, I think ANY one who wants to be Prsident has to be a little nuts. With very few exceptions (Paul, Johnson, possibly Huntsman and any of the alternate parties outside the two major ones) everyohe else is doing for the ego and the power. Doing for the good of the country is not even a consideartion. They lie to themselves thats the reason but its not.

That said, I don't think Newt has the temperment to be an effective president. If he does become it (and its a long shot), I think it will humble him. If he loses his temper he'll get roasted. Its not like decades ago where if you had a tantrum no one knew or the press didn't report it. Today it would be reported. Sadly, even things that only the Secret Service is privy to sometimes finds its way into the press.

New may be intelligent. I'm not doubting it but he doesn't have much new or innovative. Its the same old Republican mantra and if its the same shit but different guy, then you may as well have a person who is more even keeled and emotionally stable running the shop.

The 3 most recent Presidents were cocky though. The elder Bush didn't appear so and Reagan didn't either.

Romney seems out of his depth. He seems like he needs good handlers. He certainly doesn't seem like an intellectual. He doesn't come off as some Wall Street wiz to me but more of a guy who made use of being connected through his family and family friends. Obama is completely self made. Love him or hate him but by sheer self will and personality and a high intellect he's a great poster child for the American story. He really is a walking, breathing Horatio Alger story. His is what this country is known for. That you need not be a prince but you can be a pauper, ahd you can make it to the top. Cain similarily as well as Clinton. No family connections, family name, etc. needed.

Respect goes both ways and if Obama ripped into her first then he should be more respectful of a governor as well. To be fair, I can see that in Obama, I recall a video of him pulling CT Sen. Joe Lieberman to the side in a way that was a bit forceful. I was thinking Obama learned some 'hood style' diplomacy in Chicago..haha.

So, the Az governor could be exonerated if Obama came disrespectfully first. The congressman who skipped out of the SOTU address dont get a pass though. They should have been there and I don't like the precedence. I also think their leadership should have told them to be there under no uncertain terms.

Anyway, if we think Obama is direct, imagine Newt? Not to excuse Obama if he did come both the LA and AZ governors that way but the Republicans have not exactly helped create an atmosphere for mutual respect. I recall Bush trying to bridge a gap and be cordial to Teddy Kennedy by inviting him to a White House viewing of a movie about his brother I think and Teddy pretty much ignored the gesture and went after him. A bit more aggressive than one would imagine someone to be that just invited you to their home. I thought it wasn't nice of Teddy. Bush held out an olive branch after an acrimonious recount and Teddy pretty much spat at it.

Gov. Jan Brewer hates the President.

She can be down right nasty.

She hates the poor.

She hates Mexicans.

She hates .....