Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I'm sure if I were a member of Trayvon Martin's family I would think differently, but the impartial part of me does not demand Zimmerman's arrest. If after looking at all the facts and the facts would make me conclude there were grounds for an arrest and a trial, then I would feel differently. However, what does an arrest serve right now? Even if he's arrested he could possibly post bail right away and be right back out. What purpose does it serve other than to give the family and supporters some comfort?

As the maligned Pat Buchanan said, a special prosecutor is investigating the event. If he finds reason to bring charges, he will do so. There is no point in arresting Zimmerman when no charges have been brought against him. In fact, how can they?

The whole thing is being turned into a circus. I wonder if it is a Democratic plot to draw attention away from the Republican primary. I haven't heard a word about Romney lately. :hmmm:

Where's my tin hat?

I'm sure if I were a member of Trayvon Martin's family I would think differently, but the impartial part of me does not demand Zimmerman's arrest. If after looking at all the facts and the facts would make me conclude there were grounds for an arrest and a trial, then I would feel differently. However, what does an arrest serve right now? Even if he's arrested he could possibly post bail right away and be right back out. What purpose does it serve other than to give the family and supporters some comfort?

During the days of the Wild West, the person doing the killing would

be arrested or a warrant for their arrest would be issued,

a Coroners report would be made and if it seemed serious it would be sent to the Grand Jury.

Look at Billy the Kid. The first guy he killed was a guy who had him pinned to the floor. The

guy probably weighed twice as much. Billy killed him

but Billy didn't walk from the killing.

The same should go for Zimmerman.

As the maligned Pat Buchanan said, a special prosecutor is investigating the event. If he finds reason to bring charges, he will do so. There is no point in arresting Zimmerman when no charges have been brought against him. In fact, how can they?

The whole thing is being turned into a circus. I wonder if it is a Democratic plot to draw attention away from the Republican primary. I haven't heard a word about Romney lately. :hmmm:

Where's my tin hat?

Don't know about a Demoncrap plot, but here in California, seems that a few black teenagers cornered a Hispanic kid and beat him up. It's being charged as a hate crime. I wonder if our Wanker-in-Chief will go to the Rose Garden and proclaim that if he had sons, the perps would look like him. And where are Jesse and Al? Come on down Jesse and Al ! Give us your spin ! 5555555555555555 (http://news.yahoo.com/7-california-boys-arrested-attack-teen-051204960.html)

HH

I've had discussions with fellow blacks about the law of unintentional consequences with regards to hate crime. I think if it can be reasonably determined that a person targeted a group specifically because of personal malice then the judge or jury should be able to increase the penalty up to and including the death penalty if its murder. Maybe that's already done. I don't know. However, if you commit any kind of physical crime against anyone outside your own ethnic/religious/ group it can be a hate crime. Black on black crime is high but there is a fair amount of black on white crime. (not so much much the other way around). And just like how black pols wanted the penalties for crack to be increased dramatically in the '80s thinking it would punish the higher ups who brought coke into the country, the result was that the blacks who did the street sales spent the most time in jail. The same could be of hate crime.

There was a case in LA where a couple black guys were targting bar hopppers in West Hollywood. They were going to be charged with a hate crime because it was a gay area. The kids said they did't care if they were gay or not the area had a lot of drunk, seemingly well off people and thats why they were targeted.

There is a special prosecutor and its going to be handled with the utmost of care. I still don't agree with an arrest. As far as Rev Al and Jesse, as I said, its the media that gives them their power. Jesse was viewed with a chuckle years ago as a guy that scared white folks. But as I said, he was an is largely viewe as an opportunist and is tolerated in cases of interest because he gets results or media attention but he isn't seen as any sort of leader. Obama has clearly minimalized his role. Rev Al has always been viewed as a buffooon who only appealed to the fringe. No one of note claims him if you notice. If you're desperate you call Al.

Steve...FINALLY a post of your that I can COMPLETELY agree with...though not being a member of the black community, I can't honestly get the feel of that community about Al and Jesse. But if those two publicity-seeking hounds don't have a lot of support in the black community, how come they always seem to gather huge crowds in their marches; how come they are invited to preach in community churches; and how come the black community can't do any better than the likes of Bobby Rush and Maxine Waters? I KNOW the community can to better. I've seen and heard liberal black pundits who don't need to act like circus clowns to make their points...and make them well (I just don't happen to agree with those points most of the time). Why aren't there guys like you and Juan Williams in politics. Okay, fair enough to say you guys are too "clean" to get dirtied by the job. Speaking of which, how come the guy on TV who tries "dirty jobs" run for office. That would be worth seeing. 55555555

Rush, Waters, Sharpton, and Jackson gotta be members of the Black KKK--off to lynch a guy cuz he isn't black.

HH

Jesse and Rev Al invite themselves a lot of the time. The Martin case had a life of its own and certainly didn't need either. My guess is intermediaries at the behest of Jackson and Sharpton got them close to the family. As I said in another post they prey on distraught families. They peddle their 'expertise' to 'manage the media'. Also, you're a distraught Martin family, you're not going to alienate them or tell them not to be involved.

Also, at these marches, its the issue people are marching about. They'd be there with our without Jackson or Sharpton. In times of what is deemed an event that affects all Blacks, we tend to come together as well. For instance, the Million Man March. It was never about Farrakhan. It was about the need for Black men to step up. I seriously considered going and it was Farrakhan being at the forefront that made me wary of attending. It was a noble idea. The people showed up for the reason not the person. I didn't go and at the time kinda regretted but I am not a fan of Farrakhan, not even close and his involvement made me reconsider.

I don't preclude to speak for the 40 some odd million Blacks in the U.S. but one thing I know is that both of them are not highy regarded, especially Sharpton. Most blacks won't admit to someone white because many of us take a certain pleasure in any Black person who scares White folks. I try and be honest, brutally so because I want to encourage it from the other person and I don't think we can solve or understand each other on any myriad of issues until we are.

Jesse or Rev Al are called at times but its almost always for something that the people affected feel is not getting enough media and political attention. My sister (who is fundamental right politically) had a friend in Orange County, California who felt she was the victim of some racist act. I can't recall the specifics but she felt no one was listening and called Jackson's Rainbow Coalition and was told by his office that for him to get involved it would cost 'this much'. It wasn't about the issue or the validity of it or the importance of it. As much as I don't like him if something happnened to me and I was say held in jail because despite facts to the contrary and I believed it was based on my race and no one was listening, I'd call both of them in a heartbeat out of desperation.

The fringe voices get the attention. Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh on the right. You'd be surprised at the views of today's Blacks HH. I know this one Facebook page that is all college educated Blacks and you'd be (pleasantly) surprised at the number of people who support Ron Paul and Gary Johnson and who are not happy with Obama. Also, the number of 'wait a minute, lets hear both sides' posts about racially charged news items. Also, the number of posts speaking about the opportunism of Sharpton and others. Just like in a lot of groups, the educated read non traditional news, etc. Ask a poor, trailer white guy in Mississipi and a black guy in a housing project something and its two sides of the same misinformed coin. Funny thing is both would often think Obama is a moslem and like or hate the guy for the same misinformed reason.

There are instances when a community unites on an issue. Gays, Blacks, Jews, Gun Owners, Christians, etc. They may fight and bicker but will unite on an issue and the mass media who usually ignore such groups assume they are always united when in fact they aren't and this is the exception to the rule. There is a whole generation of blacks that grew up in suburban America with very few Blacks and whose friends are mostly white. Tons of them, my nephews amongst them. The Black middle class exploded in the '80s and '90s and those kids are the ones that no one has considered. I think in a generation you'll see a number of Blacks that will emulate the Irish a century ago. Part of the mainstream socio-economically. The visible ones now are the Children of Obama, Will Smith, the former CEOs of Merrill Lynch, Time Warner, etc. these kids have mostly non Black friends, will go to the top schools, will have more in common with the Kennedy kids than the kids in Harlem. 90% of the Blacks on my San Fernando born and raised nephews are family members. If you told them anything that suggests they can't do something because they're black they'd think you're nuts and would see you as the same as telling some italian or irish kid the same. Thoroughly self confident and sees the importance of race in the grand equation of life the same as being left or right handed. I wonder at them and there are now millions of those kids.

Good old American journalism, integrity at it's best. :(

NBC to do ‘internal investigation’ on Zimmerman segment

NBC told this blog today that it would investigate its handling of a piece on the “Today†show that ham-handedly abridged the conversation between George Zimmerman and a dispatcher in the moments before the death of Trayvon Martin.

A statement from NBC:

“We have launched an internal investigation into the editorial process surrounding this particular story.â€

Great news right there. As exposed by Fox News and media watchdog site NewsBusters, the “Today†segment took this approach to a key part of the dispatcher call:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.

Here’s how the actual conversation went down:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black.

The difference between what “Today†put on its air and the actual tape?

Complete:

In the “Today†version, Zimmerman volunteered that this person “looks black,†a sequence of events that would more readily paint Zimmerman as a racial profiler.

In reality’s version, Zimmerman simply answered a question about the race of the person whom he was reporting to the police. Nothing prejudicial at all in responding to such an inquiry.

In an appearance on Fox News’s “Hannity,†Brent Bozell, president of the conservative Media Research Center, called this elision on the part of â€Today†an “all-out falsehood†— not just a distortion or misrepresentation.

And it’s a falsehood with repercussions. Much of the public discussion over the past week has settled on how conflicting facts and interpretations call into question whether Zimmerman acted justifiably or criminally. That’s a process that’ll continue.

But one set of facts in the is ironclad, and that’s the back-and-forth between Zimmerman and the dispatcher. To portray that exchange in a way that wrongs Zimmerman is high editorial malpractice well worthy of the investigation that NBC is now mounting.

Washington Post