Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/04/04/1640215/arizona-attempts-to-make-trolling-illegal

"Though unlikely to pass any First Amendment test. Arizona's Gov. Jan Brewer has a bill on her desk that would in essence make 'trolling' illegal. The law states 'It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.'"

So, this (amongst the myriad of other things Arizona and Wisconsin) is what life under Republicans will be like if they controlled all 3 branches?

I'm moving farther left ideology then. As friggin' far away from this kind of crap as possible.

I live in Arizona.

In Arizona You don't need to ride a motorcycle without a helmet and

if the Republicans get their way, you might be able to

in the near future drive a car without an airbag or seat belt.

Nevada has 5 or 6 electoral votes. It 's not going to change anything. Romney keeps his religion out of the campaign. It is private. It would be nice if others would do the same. As to the fundies rejecting Obama for Romney, remember that Mormons are as much against abortion as the rightwingers. They hold a lot of the same positions.

I see the election right now as a toss up. I won't bet on it either way.

Religion has been a major tease/torment during the last 3 years.

Obama being a Moslem........

Reverend Wright......

Obama blowing up the Pentagon.........

So to me, if Romney gets the nod

it looks like religion will be a major focal point of the election.

Fox hires Jesse Jackson’s daughter

Secrets hears that Fox News Channel has hired Jesse Jackson’s eldest daughter, Chicago radio host Santita Jackson, as an on-air contributor. The coup is just the latest move by Fox to staff up talkers from the left and build its rep as the nation’s “fair and balanced†cable network.

Fox? Jackson's daughter must be a looker. :hubbahubba:

HH

Edit: Just scanned a few photos. Unfortunately, Santita isn't anything special.

I live in Arizona.

In Arizona You don't need to ride a motorcycle without a helmet and

if the Republicans get their way, you might be able to

in the near future drive a car without an airbag or seat belt.

If the Dems get in in Arizona, you'll have to wear a seat belt and have an airbag on a motorcycle. :beer:

You know, I don't mind laws that give us more freedom to be stupid (no seatbelt, helmut, etc.). Although I would draw the line at minors. Same with drugs. You should be able to do whatever you wish your body up to and including suicide. Can't see how cigarettes and alcohol are legal and pot isn't. Medically alcohol is far, far more dangerous to your body when abused. Logic flies out the window on that.

Its laws that tell us we can't do something is what we have to consider very, very carefully. Republicans and conservatives storming the streets about being forced to pay for insurance for the health care plan but have no problem forcing a woman to keep a baby or denying another person their right to get married which is a private thing. I don't see how legally you can tell two or more people they can't get married for example. So forcing a woman to keep a baby is okay but you'll defend her right not to have to buy health insurance. Something strangely twisted about that line of thinking in my book.

As I see the gay marriage issue, it is really only about terminology. Gays and lesbians can live together as a couple virtually anywhere in the US. Many companies already grant spousal coverage to a gay/lesbian partner. The sticking point comes on actually calling it a marriage. I really don't care if the civil authorities want to perform gay marriages, even though it means redifing the term. But if the government starts insisting that churches, temples, etc have to do the same there is naturally going to be a big stink about it. That blatantly violates the separation of church and state.

As to health insurance, what happens when the feds try to force Christian Scientists to buy it? :hmmm:

Barry: 'We’ve got to do something about these Asians coming in'

Ward 8 D.C. Councilman Marion Barry said Thursday that he was not trying to insult the city's Asian community during remarks at a campaign event this week.

“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,†Barry said in remarks on Tuesday night first reported by WRC-TV. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American business people to be able to take their places, too.â€

"I'm not ever going to condemn a group of people," Barry told reporters gathered in his Wilson Building office Thursday. "My history is complete. It's an excellent history with the Asian community."

Barry said his criticisms of Asian businesses in his Southeast Washington ward were rooted in what he perceives as disengagement in the community by those companies.

"I'm not going to allow a group of people to exploit people in Ward 8," Barry said.

He said he wants Asian businesses to operate in the area but he wants them to "come right."

Susan Au Allen, the president of the U.S. Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce, said Barry’s comments concerned her.

“It’s regrettably inappropriate. I’m hoping he misspoke,†Allen said in an interview with The Washington Examiner. “We should be keeping our focus on how to make life better for everybody.â€

Allen, who was a member of the city’s Minority Business Opportunity Commission while Barry was mayor, said Asians had sensed opportunity in Ward 8 when they chose to open their businesses.

“The Asian businesses are there because they see a place where there’s a need. They went in there to meet the demand,†Allen said. “They’re there to serve the needs of the residents.â€

Roger Campos, the president and CEO of the Washington-based Minority Business Roundtable, said Barry’s comments were disrespectful to minorities beyond the city’s Asian-American community.

“That is totally insensitive. It’s kind of interesting because Asians and Hispanics are fueling the economy in business growth, and we ought to be inclusive of all minority groups, not just one,†Campos said. “He’s got one insensitive focus, and that’s on African-Americans solely and no other groups.â€

Barry didn’t exactly have his fellow D.C. Council members lining up to support him.

“I strongly disagree with the recent remarks made about Asian American business owners in the District,†council Chairman Kwame Brown said in news release. “Statements like that are divisive, destructive, and have absolutely no place in our city.â€

Ward 6 Councilman Tommy Wells took to Twitter to react.

“My colleague’s remarks about Asian businesses last night were deplorable,†Wells posted. “We are a great city, and we are a diverse city.â€

Barry, meanwhile, blamed journalists for taking his remarks out of context.

"The media ought to apologize," Barry said. "I want an apology from you." :rotl:

My link

I really don't care if the civil authorities want to perform gay marriages, even though it means redifing the term. But if the government starts insisting that churches, temples, etc have to do the same there is naturally going to be a big stink about it. That blatantly violates the separation of church and state.

As to health insurance, what happens when the feds try to force Christian Scientists to buy it? :hmmm:

The government has never told churches, temples nad mosques who they can and can't marry so I don't think there is an issue there.

Its the same issue as interracial marriages. Many states didn't recognize interracial marriages between blacks and white even if another state honored it. I believe (and I could be wrong) that there is a federal law that no state can say they don't recognize an interracial marriage. Tehre are numerous reasons why you can be treated as a 2nd class citizen if a state does not honor the marriage. Wills and testaments and the rights of heirs is the most obvious one. Buying insurance and spousal insurance in a state to think of a second.

Every adult has a right to have a public service at their city hall I believe. I don't think a city hall can tell an interracial couple they can't get married. They'd have to do the same for gay couples I imagne. If the feds recognize the union, and I'm not sure about this, the states are compelled to arent't they?

The problem is if a gay person pays taxes in a state or municipality and that municipility will not perform a civil marriage for them. Its discriminatory. They are denying a service that they do for another tax paying person.

At the root of it all, is a religoius issue if we're honest. That and a personal taste one. Lets (Americans that is) at least be honest about why its an issue.

At the root of it all, is a religoius issue if we're honest. That and a personal taste one. Lets (Americans that is) at least be honest about why its an issue.

No disagreement on that. Genesis says God created Adam and Eve to be a couple. It doesn't say Adam and Bruce.