Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

This is gonna be a circus. Unfortunately. I'd love to hear the 'real' evidence. I hope he's not being arrested and charged out of social/political pressure. If there truly isn't enough evidence for a trial, deal with it. I'd hate to tell the Martin family that and in their shoes I'd spit on someone who told me that but trying to fair minded about it all, they should weight the evidence and have the balls to make the right decision what ever that is.

This whole circus - as CS rightly describes it - is reminiscent of the OJ trial. People didn't really care if OJ was innocent or guilty. They made a racial matter out of the trial, when it should not have been. Whatever happened to facts, evidence, the rule of law? Or is that old fashioned? :(

post-98-0-11608700-1334202683.jpg

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – George Zimmerman arrived at the Seminole County jail Wednesday night after being charged with second-degree murder for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

Cameras captured a man, believed to be Zimmerman, wearing a plaid shirt and covering his face with a jacket being led into the jail. He was booked, and his photo was made public, the first look the public had of Zimmerman as he looks today.

He faces an appearance in bond court Thursday at which time prosecutors will ask that be held without bond until his trial.

“We voluntarily surrendered him to law enforcement, with the realization that the charges were going to come,†said Mark O’Mara, Zimmerman’s attorney.

“I think anyone who would be charged with second degree murder would be scared, so yes, I’m certain that he’s frightened.â€

Earlier in the day, special prosecutor Angela Corey announced the charges in a news conference.

“It is the search for justice for Trayvon that has brought us to this moment,†state attorney Corey said. :surprised:

Corey also had a message for those who have been rushing to judgment on the case.

“You cannot know what it’s like to launch this type of investigation and come to this conclusion,†State Attorney Angela Corey said during the press conference.

“We don’t prosecute by public pressure or petition. We prosecute cases on the relevant facts of each case and on the laws of the state of Florida.â€

More

Obama White House pays women less than men, records show

Female employees in the Obama White House make considerably less than their male colleagues, records show.

According to the 2011 annual report on White House staff, female employees earned a median annual salary of $60,000, which was about 18 percent less than the median salary for male employees ($71,000).

Calculating the median salary for each gender required some assumptions to be made based on the employee names. When unclear, every effort was taken to determine the appropriate gender.

The Obama campaign on Wednesday lashed out at presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney for his failure to immediately endorse the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act, a controversial law enacted in 2009 that made it easier to file discrimination lawsuits.

President Obama has frequently criticized the gender pay gap, such as the one that exists in White House. :closemouth:

“Paycheck discrimination hurts families who lose out on badly needed income,†he said in a July 2010 statement. “And with so many families depending on women’s wages, it hurts the American economy as a whole.â€

It is not known whether any female employees at the White House have filed lawsuits under the Ledbetter Act.

The president and his Democratic allies have accused Republicans of waging a “war on women,†and have touted themselves as champions of female equality. Obama’s rhetoric, however, has not always been supported by his actions.

White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters last week that Obama believes it is “long past the time†for women to be admitted to the traditionally all-male Augusta National Golf Club, site of the Masters golf tournament.

But the president has demonstrated a strong preference for all-male foursomes in his frequent golf outings, a bias that extends well beyond the putting green and into the Oval Office.

“Women are Obama’s base, and they don’t seem to have enough people who look like the base inside of their own inner circle,†former Clinton press secretary Dee Dee Myers told the New York Times.

In a 2011 article titled “The White House Boys’ Club: President Obama Has a Woman Problem,†TIME magazine’s Amy Sullivan detailed the president’s fondness for male-dominated environments. :beer:

“There’s a looseness to Obama when he’s hanging out with the boys club that doesn’t appear in co-ed gatherings,†she wrote. “The president blows off steam on the golf course with male colleagues and friends. He takes to the White House basketball court with NBA stars, men’s college players, and male cabinet members and members of Congress.â€

As a presidential candidate in 2008, Obama was criticized for paying the women on his campaign staff less than the men, and far less than GOP opponent John McCain paid his female staffers. :hmmm:

My link

CHARLIE DOESN'T GET PAROLE. 77 year old Charles Manson is denied parole for the umpteenth time. His next parole hearing will be in 15 years, when he is 92 years old. I wonder how much the federal government or the State of California have spent in the last 40 years to convict him and keep him in prison.

This is gonna be a circus. Unfortunately. I'd love to hear the 'real' evidence. I hope he's not being arrested and charged out of social/political pressure. If there truly isn't enough evidence for a trial, deal with it. I'd hate to tell the Martin family that and in their shoes I'd spit on someone who told me that but trying to fair minded about it all, they should weight the evidence and have the balls to make the right decision what ever that is.

I think this is about justice and due process.

A life was taken.

The next step should have been to see if

the life was taken justifiably.

Obama White House pays women less than men, records show

Female employees in the Obama White House make considerably less than their male colleagues, records show.

According to the 2011 annual report on White House staff, female employees earned a median annual salary of $60,000, which was about 18 percent less than the median salary for male employees ($71,000).

Calculating the median salary for each gender required some assumptions to be made based on the employee names. When unclear, every effort was taken to determine the appropriate gender.

The Obama campaign on Wednesday lashed out at presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney for his failure to immediately endorse the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act, a controversial law enacted in 2009 that made it easier to file discrimination lawsuits.

President Obama has frequently criticized the gender pay gap, such as the one that exists in White House. :closemouth:

“Paycheck discrimination hurts families who lose out on badly needed income,†he said in a July 2010 statement. “And with so many families depending on women’s wages, it hurts the American economy as a whole.â€

It is not known whether any female employees at the White House have filed lawsuits under the Ledbetter Act.

The president and his Democratic allies have accused Republicans of waging a “war on women,†and have touted themselves as champions of female equality. Obama’s rhetoric, however, has not always been supported by his actions.

White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters last week that Obama believes it is “long past the time†for women to be admitted to the traditionally all-male Augusta National Golf Club, site of the Masters golf tournament.

But the president has demonstrated a strong preference for all-male foursomes in his frequent golf outings, a bias that extends well beyond the putting green and into the Oval Office.

“Women are Obama’s base, and they don’t seem to have enough people who look like the base inside of their own inner circle,†former Clinton press secretary Dee Dee Myers told the New York Times.

In a 2011 article titled “The White House Boys’ Club: President Obama Has a Woman Problem,†TIME magazine’s Amy Sullivan detailed the president’s fondness for male-dominated environments. :beer:

“There’s a looseness to Obama when he’s hanging out with the boys club that doesn’t appear in co-ed gatherings,†she wrote. “The president blows off steam on the golf course with male colleagues and friends. He takes to the White House basketball court with NBA stars, men’s college players, and male cabinet members and members of Congress.â€

As a presidential candidate in 2008, Obama was criticized for paying the women on his campaign staff less than the men, and far less than GOP opponent John McCain paid his female staffers. :hmmm:

My link

How dare you make me open a political website with the word "Free" in the title. :ohmy:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/whos-watching-facebook-213557740.html

Who's Watching You On Facebook?

Debt Collector Watch

It seems that debt collectors have caught on to how difficult it is to hide on Facebook. According to MSN Money, debt collectors are infiltrating social network pages, contacting you, your friends and family through the site to force you to pay what you owe.

One debt collection agent, Michelle Dunn, confirms that this is a strategy used by debt collection agencies today. "If you look like a really good-looking girl, a lot of people would accept a friendship even if they don't really know the person," she explains. Luckily the The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, designed to protect consumers against abusive practices by the debt collection industry, does offer you some protection in this area. Although it is not forbidden for collectors to post on your Facebook wall or ask your contacts of your whereabouts, they cannot post about your debt, because that is a serious breach of privacy. Nevertheless, it should be common practice not to accept friend requests from people you don't know, and of course, if you do owe money, in order to avoid being found and potentially harassed on Facebook, you should answer mail or calls or from collection agencies in the first instance. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away.

Job hunting

When you're applying for a new job, polishing up your resume may not be enough anymore. Rather, you should check what information is out there about you on the web. Facebook profiles are routinely being checked by your future employers. According to a survey carried out by Careerbuilder in 2009, 45% of employers check your social media presence when hiring, and some 35% of employers reported that they have found content on social networking sites that meant they did not hire the candidate. As social media has only grown over the past few years, we can only imagine that this figure would be much higher today.

More than half of the employers questioned said that provocative photos were the biggest factor contributing to a decision not to hire a potential employee, while 44% of employers pinpointed references to drinking and drug use as no-go areas. While this might seem obvious, you can never know what a company might deem "provocative." It seems wise to keep all content absolutely clean, otherwise who knows what job prospects you are thwarting.

Passwords Please

In an even more worrying development in Maryland, a man has recently been asked to hand his Facebook login details over to his employee. He was outraged and made a complaint to the American Civil Liberties Union. As a result the updated policy at the Maryland Department of Corrections states that job candidates won't be asked to share their login or password information, but job applicants will be asked to log into Facebook "voluntarily" as an interviewer looks over their shoulders.

Legal Snooping

Beware what you post on the web, because, as a Staten Island woman recently discovered, the legal profession is snooping too. Dorothy McGurk claimed that she couldn't work, rarely left home and didn't socialize because of injuries from a 1996 car accident. The dancer, on disability, had been seeking lifetime alimony of $850 a month from her husband due to this accident. Unfortunately, Facebook revealed that all was not as it seemed, and showed that she was in fact working as a belly dancer. When the Facebook evidence came to light as evidence in court, the alimony was lost.

I remember the news of a man in the 1990s who was on something like 80% disability after a car crash. He claimed he couldn't work and needed to be supported because of his back injuries. The insurance company hired PIs, who filmed the guy golfing, dancing etc. They got him arrested and charged with fraud. It is hard to be dishonest successfully (unless you are a politician).

Even then, if you are a stupid politician, you will be found out. Years ago, the school superintendent of Kansas City was on disability leave and convalescing at his Florida home. A TV crew from KC filmed him ding heavy yard work, including chopping wood. I don't believe that he lost his job over this but was sued by the Feds to recover what he had been paid, plus interest and penalties.