Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Strassel: The President Has a List

Try this thought experiment: You decide to donate money to Mitt Romney. You want change in the Oval Office, so you engage in your democratic right to send a check.

Several days later, President Barack Obama, the most powerful man on the planet, singles you out by name. His campaign brands you a Romney donor, shames you for "betting against America," and accuses you of having a "less-than-reputable" record. The message from the man who controls the Justice Department (which can indict you), the SEC (which can fine you), and the IRS (which can audit you), is clear: You made a mistake donating that money.

Are you worried?

Richard Nixon's "enemies list" appalled the country for the simple reason that presidents hold a unique trust. Unlike senators or congressmen, presidents alone represent all Americans. Their powers—to jail, to fine, to bankrupt—are also so vast as to require restraint. Any president who targets a private citizen for his politics is de facto engaged in government intimidation and threats. This is why presidents since Nixon have carefully avoided the practice.

Save Mr. Obama, who acknowledges no rules. This past week, one of his campaign websites posted an item entitled "Behind the curtain: A brief history of Romney's donors." In the post, the Obama campaign named and shamed eight private citizens who had donated to his opponent. Describing the givers as all having "less-than-reputable records," the post went on to make the extraordinary accusations that "quite a few" have also been "on the wrong side of the law" and profiting at "the expense of so many Americans."

These are people like Paul Schorr and Sam and Jeffrey Fox, investors who the site outed for the crime of having "outsourced" jobs. T. Martin Fiorentino is scored for his work for a firm that forecloses on homes. Louis Bacon (a hedge-fund manager), Kent Burton (a "lobbyist") and Thomas O'Malley (an energy CEO) stand accused of profiting from oil. Frank VanderSloot, the CEO of a home-products firm, is slimed as a "bitter foe of the gay rights movement."

These are wealthy individuals, to be sure, but private citizens nonetheless. Not one holds elected office. Not one is a criminal. Not one has the barest fraction of the position or the power of the U.S. leader who is publicly assaulting them.

"We don't tolerate presidents or people of high power to do these things," says Theodore Olson, the former U.S. solicitor general. "When you have the power of the presidency—the power of the IRS, the INS, the Justice Department, the DEA, the SEC—what you have effectively done is put these guys' names up on 'Wanted' posters in government offices." Mr. Olson knows these tactics, having demanded that the 44th president cease publicly targeting Charles and David Koch of Koch Industries, which he represents. He's been ignored.

The real crime of the men, as the website tacitly acknowledges, is that they have given money to Mr. Romney. This fundraiser of a president has shown an acute appreciation for the power of money to win elections, and a cutthroat approach to intimidating those who might give to his opponents.

He's targeted insurers, oil firms and Wall Street—letting it be known that those who oppose his policies might face political or legislative retribution. He lectured the Supreme Court for giving companies more free speech and (falsely) accused the Chamber of Commerce of using foreign money to bankroll U.S. elections. The White House even ginned up an executive order (yet to be released) to require companies to list political donations as a condition of bidding for government contracts. Companies could bid but lose out for donating to Republicans. Or they could quit donating to the GOP—Mr. Obama's real aim.

The White House has couched its attacks in the language of "disclosure" and the argument that corporations should not have the same speech rights as individuals. But now, says Rory Cooper of the Heritage Foundation, "he's doing the same at the individual level, for anyone who opposes his policies." Any giver, at any level, risks reprisal from the president of the United States.

It's getting worse because the money game is not going as Team Obama wants. Super PACs are helping the GOP to level the playing field against Democratic super-spenders. Prominent financial players are backing Mr. Romney. The White House's new strategy is thus to delegitimize Mr. Romney (by attacking his donors) as it seeks to frighten others out of giving.

The Obama campaign has justified any action on the grounds that it has a right to "hold the eventual Republican nominee accountable," but this is a dodge. Politics is rough, but a president has obligations that transcend those of a candidate. He swore an oath to protect and defend a Constitution that gives every American the right to partake in democracy, free of fear of government intimidation or disfavored treatment. If Mr. Obama isn't going to act like a president, he bolsters the argument that he doesn't deserve to be one.

WSJ

I've finally had a first hand encounter with the great U.S. healthcare system. My 22 year old step daughter had severe stomach pains two weeks ago this Monday. She doesn't have health insurance. Nor does her brother and sister, or their mother or myself. My four year old has insurance through a state of Kansas program. Anyway, I considered taking her to a clinic but did not want to take a chance that the pains could be life threatening. Plus, I know my wife would scream bloody murder if she wasn't attended to immediately. So, I went to an emergency room. She was there for 2.5 hours. They took a CAT scan (without my knowledge) and put her on morphine and a saline drip. They determined it was a kidney stone and discharged her after the 2.5 hours. She may be covered under Medicaid, although it is my understanding that she has to be here for 5 years as a Permanent Resident to qualify (she's been here 3.5 years). I've received 2 bills so far; one from a lab for $380 and one from the hospital for $8,300.00. The bill states clearly that they will not discount the bill but will make payment arrangements. I wonder what kind of payment arrangements they expect from a 3rd year college student that works part time in a Chinese restaurant? She is 22 years old, so legally, I don't have any financial responsibility. Depending on how it turns out with any Medicaid insurance covering here and the determination of the hospital to not discount the bill, as they would for an insurance company, I may advise her to see a lawyer to discuss the possibility of declaring bankruptsy. Personally, this may be the last straw for me. My wife has been very vocal that she would like to go back to Thailand and of course brings up the Thai hospitals with emergency rooms that are routinely used and costs little money. My whole point in coming to the U.S. was to get her 3 children a much better education than they would receive in LOS, from a Chinese-Thai school in Chiang Mai. Her youngest wants to become a Dentist and I know that isn't going to happen if she goes to school in LOS. Her 17 year old son could get the same education while either in the U.S. or in Thailand (not college material and I assume would rather go into the military in the U.S. rather than Thailand). I certainly can't defend the U.S. health care system to my wife (before I hear from anyone about not having insurance, it would cost me at least $1,500 per month for decent insurance for our family of 6 people) and how this turns out will probably be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back and return at least myself, my wife and our 4 year old son back to LOS. In the meantime, I'll try not to think about the part of the $8,500 which was performed to cover the hosiptal's butt in case of a misdiagnosis and a possible lawsuit. I obviously think that the CAT scan was totally unnecessary, particularly after I told them that the patent had no insurance. I thank God that I have never had to spend a minute of my adult life in a hospital as a patient and I think I would consider death preferable than putting myself under their care.

Sorry to hear about your step daughter dean. I pray she recovers quickly and safely. You never like to hear about any of our forum family's misfortune (and I do consider all of us family in a sense).

With regards to health care in America, I can't see it as anything short of a crisis. The cost and delivery of health care is embarassing for the world's largest economy. As much as we hear about the ills of the UK and other country's health care system, I'd rather get sick in just about any industrialized country I can think over the U.S.

I started choosing jobs based on their health plan years ago. I said this on here before, that I'd take a lower paying job over a much higher paying one if the health plan was markedly superior. My last job I changed indusries and worked for a medical technology company started by and run by physicians and you know those guys aren't gonna short themselves. It was the best job in terms of health care I've ever had and it paid well as a bonus,

With almost 2/3 of all personal bankruptcies due to health care costs, I can't see why there is so much fight against overhauling the way we do things. Both parties are part of the problem but I have to think the Republicans have a bigger share of the problems due to the amount of resistance I typically see against any overhaul. However, I don't want to make this a one party blame game.

I'd love for both parties to put forth a truly independent panel to explore the issue and offer recommendations have we had with other issues in the past like poverty, racism, etc.

Medical tourism has become a term due to our awfu health care system. Calling it a system is a misnomer. There is no system to speak of. The root of it all is the amount of power the various health care groups (AMA, big Pharma, etc.) have in Congress and the White House.

The Health Savings Account ideas doesn't address the high cost. Also, can we save enough to cover an emergency room visit? Or a catostrophic health event? If you are a middle income person and you are worried about your future and the future of social security and you put away the prescribed 10% of your income for retirement in the various forms avaiable (job, IRA, etc.), as well as putting a good percentage away for your kids college education, then how can a family put another 10% or so towards a HSA? How do you raise a family doing that? Even on two incomes which most families are forced to? You have to be like China and only have one child.

I wonder how much less you'd have to pay under Obamacare? I don't know but it would be interesting to know the differnce if any.

I remember when my mother went in for gallbladder surgery. The hospital room for ONE NIGHT was $3,000! WTF ... thank God my father had excellent insurance. There is no way a hospital room should cost anything like that.

Dean, tell your boy to enlist to actually LEARN something. I know a guy who was a Marine grunt for 3 years. He has some nice combat decorations to show for it, but that's all (besides ruined hearing and PTSD). When he got out, he got smart and joined the Air Farce for computer training. He has worked in IT ever since, making good money.

I was a combat engineer. My civilian occupation equivalency ... "none". Glad I did it, but I now wish I'd signed up for something more useful afterwards. :(

I remember when my mother went in for gallbladder surgery. The hospital room for ONE NIGHT was $3,000! WTF ... thank God my father had excellent insurance. There is no way a hospital room should cost anything like that.

Dean, tell your boy to enlist to actually LEARN something. I know a guy who was a Marine grunt for 3 years. He has some nice combat decorations to show for it, but that's all (besides ruined hearing and PTSD). When he got out, he got smart and joined the Air Farce for computer training. He has worked in IT ever since, making good money.

I was a combat engineer. My civilian occupation equivalency ... "none". Glad I did it, but I now wish I'd signed up for something more useful afterwards. :(

I had a full (top and bottom) shoulder replacement. Went in on a Wednesday and was discharges 24 hours later.

If you need pain pills, you gotta wait a

day or two to get your prescription filled.

About a month ago I got hit by a truck while walking on the sidewalk.

The dumb ass cop was going to give me a ticket. The driver got zero tickets!

The dumb cop didn't even check to see if the chap had insurance.

It looks like he didn't. If he did he probably is paying

a fortune because he spend a long haul in prison for extreme DUI.

I went to the emergency room and discovered another of the

health cares little dirty secrets - if they suspect

you can't pay - they loose your paper work.

In my case I have excellent coverage but apparently they can't ask you if you

have medical coverage till after you have been treated. After 2 hours in the

emergency room they finally told me they had misplaced my papers - sorry got to start at the back of the line.

The next day I went to my doctor and she prescribed oxycodone for the pain.

She gave me paper work to get some x-rays and a cat scan.

When I got to the place they told me I must call for an appointment. No way in hell could

I make an appointment with them even though my paperwork said to go there.

They finally said I could use their phone. I used their phone and got the customary leave a message.

I told them at the counter my problem so they called their own people to make an appointment.

They finally got a live one and put me on the phone. The person said a lady will come and get my paperwork.

After asking me 4 times if the lady had come for my paper work, she had to call the nut case once more to tell come and get my damn paperwork.

And the shit just went on and on.

I would have gotten better healthcare if I went to Mexico!

Yesterday was a shock. I expected maybe a bill for 3,000-3,500 (a little over a thousand an hour) but not $8,500 (so far; I wouldn't discount getting more bills from various labs). This contrasts with the birth of my son in Chiang Mai 4 years ago. The total cost of a C-section and 4 days in the hospital was 28,000 baht. The same daughter has had to go to the emergency room in Chiang Mai twice when we lived there. Her insurance covered her then but I was having a hernia problem and was treated for about 300 baht. If Obamacare goes through, I've already figured that insurance, with subsidies, will cost around $350 a month, which I can afford. Ultimately, the bill is my 22 year old daughter's responsibility. The only possible way that I can be involved is my sponsorship of her, along with my wife and the other two step kids, in coming to the U.S. I believe that the sponsorship only involves re-reimbursing the government for money spent on government aid programs or at government hospitals (it was a private hospital where the daughter was treated). I sent off the financial papers to the hospital last week so, once they see her part time income, they will decide to take the write off or drop the amount of the bill, particularly after I mention that bankruptcy is on the table. Flash, concerning the 17 year old son, it hasn't been a particularly easy transition moving to the U.S. He is a typical thai-Chinese son, being taught by his father that he has great value, while his sisters do not . Its impossible to get him to do any chores, like wash dishes or even cut the grass, as those are jobs for women. I got him a job last year and he lasted two weeks before getting fired, so I gave up on that. He did get a job two weeks ago on his own at a Subway restaurant, and likes the money and independence it brings, so this job should work out. He does like living in the U.S., more than his sisters, and has no desire to go back to LOS ever. I hope that it will eventually dawn on him that he has to change his sexist's beliefs, particularly if he wants to get married here. Concerning his education, he has done fairly well in computer classes, so if he does join the military, I would encourage him to request training in that field and possibly get a commitment to pay for post high school training in that field after serving (assuming that he will stay in it only for the initial sign up). I wouldn't recommend to him that he waste his college education on getting a BA in History, like I did. Thought I would use it to go to law school and then decided that I didn't want to be a lawyer. Not much else you can do with a degree in History, except teach.

<< Thought I would use it to go to law school and then decided that I didn't want to be a lawyer. Not much else you can do with a degree in History, except teach. >>

Guess what my minor was. And guess who'd once planned to be a lawyer. :(

Our high school counselors should have been hung by the gonads for the BS they gave us. It wasn't until after I'd got my BA that I discovered where the good paying jobs were - air conditioning etc. Hell, I didn't even know about the jpositions available in international hotels until I was in my early 40s and doing a tourist magazine. I'd have loved that line of work.

Sounds like the boy could use a hitch in the military to knock some sense into his head. Maybe the USMC is what it would take, since the Army has been so toned down by political correctness. I couldn't believe the things I saw as a civilian Army instructor in the 1990s - smart ass guys doing crap that would have got the shite beaten out of them before by their drill sergeants. (No more "motivation platoon" either.) Problem with the Marine Corps is it is the best way I know of to get yourself killed. Maybe the Navy still keelhauls people. :hmmm: